Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou bullets in an open gun.

Glock34Guy83

I currently shoot bayou bullets in my Springfield range officer chambered in 9mm. I recently bought a 38 super open gun and was wondering if it would be a more cost effective round to shoot as I see most people shooting montana gold which is double the price. Will the coating peel off at major power factor and gum up the barrel? Does anyone shoot these at mpf in an open gun with good results?

Edited by Glock34Guy83

Maybe get some of the Bayou 135 grain bullets and see what you think.

I shot a lot of lead 135 grain bullets out of supers when the power factor was 175 for major and it isn't a bad load. With the right powder and a little lube in the comp the buildup shouldn't be that bad or hard to clean, either.

You can use the saved money to load more bullets so you can get good-er-er!

Maybe get some of the Bayou 135 grain bullets and see what you think.

I shot a lot of lead 135 grain bullets out of supers when the power factor was 175 for major and it isn't a bad load. With the right powder and a little lube in the comp the buildup shouldn't be that bad or hard to clean, either.

You can use the saved money to load more bullets so you can get good-er-er!

I'm always looking to get mo-betta.

I see a lot of guys using 115 or 124 so I was thinking about buying a few hundred of both and see which one I like at a little over power factor

I've also been thinking of getting my gun NIB-X coated after I put on a new comp. Maybe that coating on the inside of the comp with a little lube would help out with the leading too.

Shoot a spritz of Dillon case lube in the comp between stages. Do it quick enough to let it dry before you shoot again. Makes cleaning really easy. Get a sample pack from Donnie to see if you like it before you buy a case. Some people don't notice the smoke at all, some don't care for it.

I have heard of using dillon case lube on the comp to help but havent tried it yet.

I load 125 grain projectiles running 170 power factor for IPSC major power factor.

We don't have the same amount of options when it comes to powder in Australia so you might be able to use something better, I use AP100 which is the most available. That is why most of us shoot coated lead too. It is produced locally but everything else needs to cross the ocean which drives the price up too much.

I think it is the lanoline.

I've used Fluid Film wire rope grease and it seems to work about the same and it is a lanoline based product, also.

I've used Fluid Film wire rope grease and it seems to work about the same and it is a lanoline based product, also.

i have lots of "one shot" on hand, guess that wont help if i try the coated bullet option???

i have lots of "one shot" on hand, guess that wont help if i try the coated bullet option???

It's the lanolin that helps not the oil. One shot might help a tad but doubtful. I think the best way to clean a comp might be glass beads in a blaster. Harbor freight makes cheap kits that should hold up to seldom use.

I used ibejihead bullets in my open gun. 125gr bullet, 7.8g Hs6 made 172pg at A7, Uses a lot less powder than MG 115 at 9.2 and with less overall recoil. It made for a nice soft, smooth recoil and a dot that was very easy to track.

The barrel cleaned up every easy and if you let the comp soak in WD40, the residue/lead would scrape off easily

A local shooter had a home brew recipe for case lube / comp use instead of Dillon - 6:1 or 12:1 of Alcohol : Liquid Lanolin

- 91% or higher alcohol

- "NOW Foods" brand liquid lanolin off amazon

(I need to check that I didn't reverse the ratios, in the right order ...)

It's what I've been spraying into my comp (from a martini mister), seems to do OK

Edited by trgt

Thanks for all the help and advise. I'll going to order 500 38 super bullets from Donnie and give them a try. I have an unused bottle of Dillon case lube living around from when I ordered my 550.

My next question is, fires anyone have a good starting point for VV N350 with coated bullets to make major? I know it takes less powder then a jacketed bullet but I'm just looking for a good starting point.

Thanks for all the help and advise. I'll going to order 500 38 super bullets from Donnie and give them a try. I have an unused bottle of Dillon case lube living around from when I ordered my 550.

My next question is, fires anyone have a good starting point for VV N350 with coated bullets to make major? I know it takes less powder then a jacketed bullet but I'm just looking for a good starting point.

Startingpoint for N350: I use N350 since 2014.My matchLoad:

7.85gr of N350,124gr coated bullet,RWS-leadless primer,31,50mm OAL,tapercrimp.Made pf 165 at German Nationals!Use at your own risque!

Best regards

Heinz

Thanks Heinz,

To be in the safe side I will start around 6 to 6.5 grains and work my way up.

I guess it's time for me to invest in a chronograph instead of borrowing a friend's. I'd like to find a good used one but the go so fast in the classifieds.

Back in the 80s when almost everyone was using a comp'd 45s and lead bullets, we used to put a couple of drops of Break Free CLP into each on the comp's ports right on top of the lead. Somehow it got under the lead deposits and after a few shots is was relatively clean.