Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta A400 for first real clays gun?

akeefer

Hey all,

I have wanted a Beretta shotgun for awhile to get into the clay games at the local clubs. I understand I don't need too much to get started, but I did get a decent deal on this A400 Xcel with KickOff. It has a 28" barrel.

Would you say this is a good starting gun? Or should I sell it and get something cheaper to practice with?

Thanks!

The best clay shooter I know runs an A400 xtreme with somewhere around 80000 rounds on it and all of 3 cleanings. But he does equally well with a cheap old 410 O/U, with a 24 average on skeet. I think this is definitely a case of it being all about the indian and having very little to do with the arrow.

I took one whole whopping sporting clays class. A brand new A400 is what my instructor loaned me for the day. It was sweet!

I think he might have added a weight to the magazine cap.

There was just something about getting the muzzle out a little farther which helped get more hits. A semi-auto's frame has to be longer to accomodate the movement of the shells into and out of the chamber.

Hello: You have a great gun for shooting any of the sporting games. Some like longer barrels but as a great shooter I know says " the bird doesn't care what length of barrel you have". I have a Beretta 391 sport with a 28" barrel and it does fine if I do my part. As you learn more and I am doing that right now, I have learned that you can't buy hits with a more expensive gun. If it fits and you shoot it well then stick with it. I have been thinking of getting one but my 391 does all I can do with it. I loaned it to a good shooter to see what he thought and he kicked my butt with it. The old story indian not the arrow. Keep it and enjoy it. Thanks, Eric

• 2 years later...