Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot Mount for easy limited to open conversion

ihocky2

I am going to be purchasing either a 627 or 929 soon, not sure which one yet. For USPSA I will need to shoot with the stock sights, but for steel I wouldn't mind playing around in Open Revolver and a little in ICORE. The bases I know of require the rear sight to be removed to afix the mount. I would like something that I can leave a mount on the gun and still use the stock sights. Who makes a good and lightweight base that I could have the barrel drilled and tapped to mount. I would like to be able to switch between limited and open without having to re-sight in the gun. I am open to any options.

THanks.

A well known shooter uses the Warne Maxima base, minus the front sight that is built into the base, and has a 1/2" tall front sight on the end of the barrel. For the red dot he has a tube type scope on a qd mount. I believe he said that Apex made the tall front sight. I'm not sure who made the qd mount. I've been meaning to setup the same thing but haven't yet.

Thanks for the link, that looks interesting. I want to contact them, but it looks like you might be able to use either a standard replacement front sight of the non-pinned front sight.

If you don't mind the short sight radius provided by the front sight on that mount you can certainly do that. The shooter I am talking about removed the front sight from the mount and used the standard location on the front of the barrel.

A well known shooter uses the Warne Maxima base, minus the front sight that is built into the base, and has a 1/2" tall front sight on the end of the barrel. For the red dot he has a tube type scope on a qd mount. I believe he said that Apex made the tall front sight. I'm not sure who made the qd mount. I've been meaning to setup the same thing but haven't yet.

The Brownell's number for the Warme scope mount is 947-000-101WB, I just ordered one and it is on back order at this time. I understand that you use the 929 rear sight and you need a 1/2 front sight.

Apex did make that shooters extra tall front.

I've handled that gun at the safety table, from behind it's no different than normal sights, it just looks strange from the side.

Seemed like a good way to good for quick change, or a back up.

The Brownell's number for the Warme scope mount is 947-000-101WB, I just ordered one and it is on back order at this time. I understand that you use the 929 rear sight and you need a 1/2 front sight.[/quote

Buds Guns has them in stock for $30 less. Amazon has them in stock too.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I'm interested in trying a similar setup. Why is the taller front sight needed? Is it due to the rear sight being lifted by the Warne base?

Edit: After looking at pictures of the base installed, I can see why now. I wonder if anyone is making custom front sights - I think that's a pretty cool (if a little ugly) setup.

Edited by matteekay

On 12/27/2014 at 11:09 AM, ihocky2 said:

I am going to be purchasing either a 627 or 929 soon, not sure which one yet. For USPSA I will need to shoot with the stock sights, but for steel I wouldn't mind playing around in Open Revolver and a little in ICORE. The bases I know of require the rear sight to be removed to afix the mount. I would like something that I can leave a mount on the gun and still use the stock sights. Who makes a good and lightweight base that I could have the barrel drilled and tapped to mount. I would like to be able to switch between limited and open without having to re-sight in the gun. I am open to any options.

THanks.

Check out this thread for another option.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/accessories-misc-sale-trade/491223-fs-reflex-sight-mounts-smith-wesson-revolvers.html