Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun loading practice

I order a box off brownells. They were less expensive then some of the others I saw plus they carry brownells incredible warranty.

I'm not sure the warranty applies. They are an wear items, and Brownells made it pretty clear that they have limited lifespan.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loaded some on my Mec 600jr. I used sand for powder, the old primers and real wad and shot. I then epoxied the crimp. No, I did not run the sand through my machine.

Edited by z40acp

Wooden dowell inside fired shell, JB weld for old primer, bullet glued to inside of dowell for weight. I don't chamber my dummies though. These work well, as they are stiff, and do not flex at all.

I must be the only person who practices with live shells, but I like to live life on the wild side. They tend not to go boom when they never make it into the chamber. I just use a box for practice till they get noticeably ugly then I take them out back and shoot them so I don't accidentally take them to a match.

I use Winchester aa hulls, hot glue the primer pocket pocket and put corn meal in the powder bottle on the mec 600 jr. I have two men reloaded and the only thing I have ever loaded on them are dummy rounds for loading practice.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I must be the only person who practices with live shells, but I like to live life on the wild side. They tend not to go boom when they never make it into the chamber. I just use a box for practice till they get noticeably ugly then I take them out back and shoot them so I don't accidentally take them to a match.

I do the same. There's no substitute for practicing with what you shoot. Different shells feel different.

+1 for just using the real thing. Again...if the firing pin can't reach the primer, all is good. As mentioned, this is by far the easiest way to get practice that is the same as match experience. Same weight and feel because its the same. As mentioned, use them for a couple dozen times into the tube and then relegate them to a practice session or an over/under.

Murphy is a dick. Lucky for us he's not capable of chambering a round and pulling the trigger. That requires the independent intervention of a moron that's not focused enough on the task at hand to keep from doing something dumb. I think the thousands of CCW practitioners that safely walk in and out of there houses every day with a hot pistol with no external safety are at greater risk than the few of us that practice stuffing a tube with a full understanding of what we're doing and enough focus to do it safely.

Surface streets in your neighborhood are more dangerous than the highway. But yes, no round in chamber ever for dry fire and safety always on is much safer than driving.

I'm with Tony. I use live Wal-Mart Winchester rounds in the backyard. No chamber very simple.They don't chamber well anyway.

Edited by Maize

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brian Wikel sells dummy shells for practice. $8 a dozen FTF or ship on your dime. I picked up a couple dozen of these, same weight with shell shot as real shells.. don't go boom.

Good product, quick service.. ping him at brian (at) wikel (dot) net

oPBnaGQ.jpg

Edited by HeyChris

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the mention Chris. Anyone needing any of these just direct message me. Unless it is a special request I am trying to stay away form the federal hulls, they don't hold up well over the long run. Win AA, STS and Nitro hulls work the best and that give people some different colors to choose from if they don't want the dummy rounds the same color as what they use for live shells.

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the mention Chris. Anyone needing any of these just direct message me. Unless it is a special request I am trying to stay away form the federal hulls, they don't hold up well over the long run. Win AA, STS and Nitro hulls work the best and that give people some different colors to choose from if they don't want the dummy rounds the same color as what they use for live shells.

Yeah I use the pink federals, but it's what I use for matches so I have a bunch lying around. Walnut tumbling media in place of powder, wad, and shot. Hot glue the crimp. Spray the back end with black spray paint to distinguish them from my live ammo. Works ok for a while but they wear out pretty fast.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought some Fiocchi dummy shells years ago and they work well. Before that I used live shells (outside) until they got beat and then shot them up on the Skeet range. My young daughter, who runs the timer for my practice, is amused with the ones that say "Dummy" on them.

• 2 months later...