Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power X-Calibur: range reports

NicVerAZ

1 minute ago, mig1 said:

The good news is if you took their survey, it was clear that the brand name issue was something they understand. Several questions in the survey were about the name.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

What survey?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Quick report on my new to me ex-caliber. Good astheycs feels good in the hands, and shoots a 2 inch group at 25 yds with 125 grain coated bullets off bags. No problems with reliability and points easy for me. Shells do eject straight back at times. All and all out of my plastic guns (m&p fs, Springfield xdm I like it). Mags are expensive so it's good it came with 8 when I bought it[emoji4]

• 1 month later...

This gun still being imported? I don't think there's a single one available online, let alone finding mags.

And if I find a used one, how do I tell which version it is? Apparently they made some changes for the rear sight so it has less chance of drifting?

Edited by FlashAndPoof

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool that you got to do that!  I am a very big fan of my Grand Power stuff and the quality seems to be on a much higher level than the other guns at similar price points.  Do your Grand Power pistols have a generous disconnect?  Mine all let the hammer down even when the slide is still almost an inch out of battery.  It's not a problem for me, but it is very unique to my Grand Power pistols.  My CZ trigger disconnects within a millimeter or two of rearward travel of the slide.  That's one of only a few picky complaints I have.

5 minutes ago, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

I want an xcal but refuse to pay $50 per mag... eagle needs to fix that or gp needs to allow mecgar to sell as oem

If I can't sort out an optics mount for mine very quickly I will sell mine off with 12 mags.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2017 at 0:59 PM, joshuasm said:

How are the magwells on the X series?

And any updates on the shootability of the platform?

First question: it is good enough for fast competition reloads.

Second question: I still believe it to be a great choice for competition, based on the fact that it is "ready to race" (KTM did not come up with the slogan, Husaberg did) out of the box with zero to none modifications and this for less than $900 for the pistol. You can rig up with belt, pouches, holster, spare mag for around $1200, compared with twice  the price for instance with a CZ from CZ Customs.

Now, if you want a DA-SA for competition, and if you have the money, you will certainly enjoy a CZ from CZ Customs, because Angus makes great guns. You do get what you pay for.

Based on my experience: the X-Cal is very accurate, shoots fast and flat, transitions fast due to its weight. The design is very cool and I personally love Grand Power pistols.

To be fair: you will have more stable gun and a better trigger with a CZ Customs.

I have not tested the other pistols out there and I am not a Glock guy, therefore I can't compare with anything else.

So, to summarize: yes, the Grand Power X-Calibur is a great competition production pistol, considering that it is ready to race out of the box for a decent price and that it has some good things for itself.

• 4 weeks later...

I normally run a CZ SP01 in production in the local USPSA matches.  My CZ has been having intermittent extractor issues, so I'm going to try out the X-cal while I wait for my new extractor spring to arrive.  It uses the same mag pouches as the CZ and the used one that I purchased included a holster.  Let's see what damage I can do :)

Shot a X-Cal and loved it enough that I almost bought one. I have a STI 2011 so that's still my go to gun, but damn... the design and recoil characteristics of the X-Cal really impressed me. But I balked at the price of mags... $80+ for one with extra capacity/basepads? That's 2011 territory! Is there a cheaper source for mags?

And is there a way to get a magwell on them?

Also didn't like the humongous safety but I recall reading that they ship with a smaller safety as well for install?

23 hours ago, FlashAndPoof said:

Shot a X-Cal and loved it enough that I almost bought one. I have a STI 2011 so that's still my go to gun, but damn... the design and recoil characteristics of the X-Cal really impressed me. But I balked at the price of mags... $80+ for one with extra capacity/basepads? That's 2011 territory! Is there a cheaper source for mags?

And is there a way to get a magwell on them?

Also didn't like the humongous safety but I recall reading that they ship with a smaller safety as well for install?

I personally love the X-Calibur.

So, yes, you can and SHOULD swap the safety on the opposite side of your thumb or else the USPSA box will not shut and you'll get bumped into open.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at these guys a bit. One question: don't double-to-singles have to start with the hammer down for USPSA Production? Does the X-Calibur have a decocker?

I'm a revo guy so I'm used to those goofy commands like "cylinder closed" - I don't know how the bottom feeders do it, lol.