Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 38sc barrel and comp is best?

Glock34Guy83

So I just bought an open gun. I'm sure it's older as it was made by Tripp Research when they were in Austin TX with what send to be a low serial #. The barrel I currently have is a nowland barrel with a big comp : no clue on who made the comp: I haven't shot it yet do I don't know if it needs replacing. I know I'm not really interested in poppel holes at the moment. Add the top of the slide is milled add it runs onto the back of the comp. I'm just looking to get some ideas incase I do need to replace it. The powder inn going to be using is VV n350 with 124 gr MG bullets if that helps. I will take some pics of it later when I get home.

Nowlin makes a very good barrel.

I'd do some shooting with it to see how it groups and how it feels to you. It may be very good just as it is.

If you post a pic of the gun and compensator I bet a few of the gray hairs here might be of some help, too!

I tried to attach some pics but it says they are to big. I tried to crop then and still to big. If anyone knows how to make then smaller I can enroll then to you do you can shrink them. Our if someone wants I can email them to you too take a look.

I think the compensator might be one of Brazos first thundercomp designs but I'm not sure.

Maybe have a smith go through it and look it over.

Try starting with some light loads , slowly working up enough to utilize that massive comp, maybe change a few springs and have some fun with it as is. It might end up shooting really well and be a cool gun to play with, without having to do too much to it.

Best of luck.

Edited by gennaro

The comp looks like an earlier one from Bob Londrigan at Brazos Custom. It is on the left hand side of the lower "parts" photo here: http://www.brazoscustom.com/. The ball-end lightening cuts on the front of the slide certainly look like the ones Dave Dawson used on his custom guns - back when he made them. Both Dave and Bob are located fairly close to the Austin area now and probably were back then as well.

It definitely looks like the brazos in the picture. I think the first thing I'm going to change is the thumb safety. I'm going to go with the Swenson. The ones on there now are very loosely fit. With the slide off if you move the safety up a little the right side will fall out if the gun is tilted to that side. It happened when I was taking the pics. Surprised the hell out of me

I think it might shoot quite nicely. As others said nowlin barrels are a known good thing. It's a massive comp and may be a bit nose heavy but it's a short frame I guess to help keep the weight down.

I think 124gn mg's and vv n350 or 3n38 will be the start of a suitable load. Lots of baffles in the comp so no doubt it'll shoot nicely with lots of gas.

I have to say I reckon it's a nice looking gun too. Should be fun and probably will shoot a nice group too. :)

The guy I bought the gun from only used n350 for his loads. Since he doesn't have any other race guns he sold me the 5 pounds of n350 that he had left. He also threw in a pound of CFE to try and gave me about 1500-2000 once fired 38 super brass. All for $180. I couldn't pass it up. What's a good starting point for n350? I plan on ordering a few thousand MG 115 or 124 grain after Xmas. Not sure which one yet, any insight on that would be helpful too.

I'd say 7.5gn of n350 would be a good very safe starting load. Great deal on the brass and powder btw. You'll probably end up somewhere around 8.5gn but as always work up to it, watch for pressure sighs, use a chrono and also get a feel for how the guns shoots as the load starts to get hotter. Some open guns seem to hit a sweet spot at which things start to behave nicely.

I don't have much experience with 115s as under ipsc rules they are below min weight for major loads. Generally with an open gun with holes or a big comp more gas is the goal so lighter bullet driven faster with a slow powder is the way to get there.

My opinion is either the 115 or 124 will be just fine. Others that have spent more time with both may offer some more concrete advice.

Thanks for the tips. I was planning on starting around 6.5 to be on the safe side but I'll probably bump that up now. Not to much though.

I have to invest in a chronograph after the holidays. I've been using a friend's since I started reloading but having to bug him every time I change something is getting old.

I have a buddy with a Caspian open gun in 38 super. I'm going to see what grain bullet he uses. His gun runs like a sewing machine every time. I think I'm going to in list his help. But I enjoy getting extra info from the great people on this sight as well.

Edited by Glock34Guy83

Yeah she's a little nose heavy but nothing that won't be manageable. I'm just starting out so I doubt I'll be making GM any time soon.

I'm just going to work up a load with n350 that keeps the dot tracking as straight up and down as possible and learn to shoot the gun well.

I just got my Briley and fitting it up now. I've had Briley barrels in the past and they were excellent. The chambers in this Quad-Comp are HUGE and with the forward angled baffles it should work great and have less powder residue on my optic. Also looks great, I especially like the partial full profile.

DSCN0581_zps746e9cc7.jpg

I just got my Briley and fitting it up now. I've had Briley barrels in the past and they were excellent. The chambers in this Quad-Comp are HUGE and with the forward angled baffles it should work great and have less powder residue on my optic. Also looks great, I especially like the partial full profile.

DSCN0581_zps746e9cc7.jpg

That's a nice Caspian. Did you fit the barrel yourself?

Hi from Germany,

I too got a barrel from Nowlin in my LES BAER 1996-Open.It was upgrated by a great gunsmith to:5 inch barrel,4,5 slide and HPS-Comp.My IPSC-load for EUROPE-shot in Portugal was 9.6 gr. 3N38 and was chronogr. with Faktor of 172 -32 Degree Celsius!

In Germany I shoot N350 with Faktor of 165.Bullet 123gr. LOS under 7.8 gr. N350 and Geco leadless Primer,OAL 31.50 mm.The load is verry reliable and accurade!The LOS-bullets are equal to Montana Gold.

Hope that helps!

Merry Christmas

Heinz

DSCN0581_zps746e9cc7.jpg

looks like an EAA comp from a while back