Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best range bag

bceglinski

I use the Midway bag with a twist. I put an MTM Sportsman Utility Box inside of it. Fits like a glove. Open the bag flap, lift up the box lid, there's a top tray for small items, lift it out and there's the inside of the box to keep all your stuff safe and waterproof. Having the box inside the bag also keeps the bag nice and square so everything stands up straight like it should.

Bag: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/259680/midwayusa-competition-range-bag-system

Box: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/447690/mtm-sportsman-plus-utility-dry-box-15-x-88-x-94-polymer-forest-green

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a midway large bag. Loved it fit a lot of stuff.

I now just got an Ernie Backpack and everything fits into the backpack.

I used it twice so far and i'm really liking it a lot!!

I still use my baby stroller, but now I have more room on it to keep my cooler etc.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the Large Midway bag and it holds a lot of stuff. Makes it easy to over pack it and it reminds you when you have to lug it around all day. I was looking into the Oakley back packs just the other day and might give one a try.

As a bit of a sidebar can anyone explain to my why every bag I look at has a black lining inside? Granted it is tacticalcool and all that but looking into a dark hole to find something is hard enough without a black interior.

The Double Alpha backpacks are red inside..

As a bit of a sidebar can anyone explain to my why every bag I look at has a black lining inside? Granted it is tacticalcool and all that but looking into a dark hole to find something is hard enough without a black interior.

On target here... Never put it into words. But man those things turn me off, just didn't realize why till you said what you did.

I am not a fan of hydration style backpacks. Sucking luke warm liquid through a hose turned me off of those years ago. I keep my beverages chilled in a small cooler. Even if you fill the bladder with ice, it goes away too quick and then there's that sucking on a hose thing.

Yep it's one of the things i like about my DAA range pack + cart. Lining is bright red. Much easier to find stuff.

For club matches and the indoor range, I use a small range bag from Midway.

For live fire practice sessions when I need 1000+ rounds and a bunch of extra equipment for practice setups, I use one of these:

post-39241-144644243608_thumb.jpg

Plenty of inside and outside pockets for all my gear, and the wheels make lugging around a ton of ammo a non-issue. Plus, I live in the middle of the city and have to park in a public parking structure across the street, and this bag is a lot more discreet than an ammo can.

My bag is the same color on the inside as it is the outside, it's green and it's the larger bag they have from Midway.

My bag is the same color on the inside as it is the outside, it's green and it's the larger bag they have from Midway.

Same here. I've got the tan Midway bag, and it is tan inside and very easy to see what's down there. My other, smaller bag is black, and it is a problem.

Bob

I saw an Ergodyne tool bag the other day. I think it was the model 5800 large mouth bag:

5800main.jpg

5800loaded_main.jpg

It has a rubber moulded base. Don't hold me to this, but the nylon fabric might also be waterproof.

I am still rocking my DeWalt tool bag which came with their 4 or 5 piece cordless tool kit.

I am using the shoulder strap from my old shooter's connection bag, and hooking it onto a GI surplus .30 ammo can to...well...carry ammo.

Edited by Chills1994

I switched to a backpack for matches early this year and I will never go back to a range bag. I use the current GLOCK multipack and it is perfect. It is small, but it carries everything I need. The large compartment holds my Pistol Pouch and a flat plastic box that is large enough to hold tools, cleaning supplies, lube, spare CMore, etc. The middle compartment holds everything mag related.... Mag pouch, Brush, Rag, Lula Loader and 4 100 round boxes of ammo. It could probably hold 8 (two high). It has a compartment for my eyes & digital ears and another for snacks, rule book, Pro Grip, etc.

It can be worn over one shoulder, both shoulders or carried via a handle. My belt and Ear Muffs are strapped to the outside. It works awesome. Keeps me much more organized and I don't end up carrying anything I don't need.

backpack1.png

Edited by idHawk

The problem I have found with either bag's or backpacks is that you will always think you have found a better one and buy it just to find you already had one that does the job just as well. It's a fine line between overloading and under loading your bag and working out how much gear you want to carry around.

I'm pretty lucky at most of the ranges I shoot at we tend to go past our vehicles a number of times so I can get away with loading up my bag or backpack and leave them in the car and just take the basics ( ammo and score sheets and some basic comfort gear) on to the range.

Doesn't stop me buying the better mousetrap :surprise:

Another Midway owner here. I do agree that some of the smaller things could be a little better made, but for $40 you won't find anything better. The zippers themselves are strong, they stand up to wear, and they are pretty well organized.

Another Midway owner here. I do agree that some of the smaller things could be a little better made, but for $40 you won't find anything better. The zippers themselves are strong, they stand up to wear, and they are pretty well organized.

I bought the 5.11 large bag only to find out that the Midway large bag was strikingly familiar, and $85 cheaper!

I've been considering the backpack instead of the range bag. The NRA site has a nice one on it with compartments to store 4 pistols which sounds nice but if it holds up like their range bag, it's probably crap. Has any tried one of these?

NRA has a backpack for $119.00 for the price, I don't think it can be beat!

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?c=10&p=SA+494&ct=e

I've been considering the backpack instead of the range bag. The NRA site has a nice one on it with compartments to store 4 pistols which sounds nice but if it holds up like their range bag, it's probably crap. Has any tried one of these?

It looks like the GPS backpack which is what I'm using at the moment and so far it's a very good bag. Also available from Brownells (black $99/ tan $89) and a few other outlets but without the NRA velcro badge.

Edited by terrydoc