Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best range bag

bceglinski

I've been considering the backpack instead of the range bag. The NRA site has a nice one on it with compartments to store 4 pistols which sounds nice but if it holds up like their range bag, it's probably crap. Has any tried one of these?

This http://www.nrastore.com/gear/bags/nra-tactical-handgunner-backpack? If so, as said above that's the GPS bag, but for $20 more than normal and an NRA patch stuck on.

I have the GPS bag and it's excellent. I was previously using a Midway bag which is great because it's big and can hold a lot of junk, but I was sick of lugging it around at matches. I was hesitant to drop $100 on the GPS backpack, but it's worth it. So much easier to carry around a match and can hold a lot of stuff in there.

I immediately tossed out that foam thing that holds 4 guns in the bottom compartment. I just put handguns in gun rugs and stick them in that bottom compartment and then there's room for more stuff in there as well.

My only complaint, which is really a PIA and I haven't figured out a solution yet, is that there's no place to hold a water bottle.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the other option is the GPS 'tactical' backpack. it has a slightly different set up but does have molle straps on it so you could attach a bottle cover,,downside is it's an extra $40 (with the range back pack being on sale for ($90) @ Brownells.

Edited by terrydoc

LA Police Gear has 4 new range bags and these things are seriously some of the best bags I have ever used! 4 sizes all with more options than any other bag on the market, and at a price that can't be beat.

This is the Elite, has the main bag plus a second included, bass bag, AND 2 zippered pistol bags!!!!

That's enough to carry everything, ammo, mags, gun and back up gun and the bass bag to use after the match. This bag is pretty good size, but when traveling to major match its the one bag, do all, carry all, no questions asked bag. This is really everything but the kitchen sink bag. Buy one and take it to your major match and be the talk of the squad. Oh and you don't break the bank doing it.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-bg-rangebag-elite.html

The next is the Deluxe, this is the ideal 3 gun bag. Full size rifle mag pouches, pistol pouches, plus plenty of ammo storage. Not as big as the elite, but has definite focus on the 3 gun person or to spend the day at the range with all of the guns and only worry about carrying one bag.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-bg-rangebag-deluxe.html

The third is the Basic Plus, do not let the name fool you on this bag. It says basic and there is nothing basic about it. This should be with every uspsa / idpa person out there. It has 7 padded mag slots on one side and extra storage on the other plus I carried 500 rounds, eye and ear protection, water, towel, oh and my 2011! This is my go to small match bag ( the elite will be major match, gotta have room for the back up gun!) check it out, buy one when you by the elite and you will be HALF of what other brands charge for one.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-bg-rangebag-basicplus.html

The last of the new like is the Basic range bag, this may be a bare bones bag when you compare it to everything the other 3 include, but don't count it out. This thing is a work horse, strong durable, I started loading it down just to torture test it, I had 1000 rounds of 180gr 40sw in it, tossed in my 2011, my cell phone, couple of the kids toys I found in the basement, and the remote control. ( note it did not zip close with everything in it , I wanted to test load and weight capacity ) and it passed with flying colors.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-bg-rangebag-basic.html

If you have any LAPG products you know what level of quality they put into their products. Which in my opinion is the best out there. They offer more colors than just black ( OD, Tan, Black) And you will not break the bank with their products. Honestly they are a little under priced. These are top quality and their customer service is second to none. Check the reviews online. You can actually talk to a real person. They support law enforcement and our troops ( but don't let their name fool you) they don't just sell you law enforcement.

Buy one, or buy all of these and you will still be less then many bags avalible out there. I never travel anywhere without my LA Police Gear bags. Buy one ( or buy them all) you won't be disappointed. If you have other questions or would like to see any parts of any of the bags let me know and I'd be more than happy to answer.

For club matches and the indoor range, I use a small range bag from Midway.

For live fire practice sessions when I need 1000+ rounds and a bunch of extra equipment for practice setups, I use one of these:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1446442435.399488.jpg

Plenty of inside and outside pockets for all my gear, and the wheels make lugging around a ton of ammo a non-issue. Plus, I live in the middle of the city and have to park in a public parking structure across the street, and this bag is a lot more discreet than an ammo can.

Looks very interesting. Where can I buy one of these?

I use the small DAA backpack. Is has a slot in the top pouch area where you could put a blatter in it. Awesome bag. I can carry easy 800rounds and 2 guns and mags in the bag. Has the hook on the outside for your brass bag and a hook large enough to carry to belts. Super comfortable and super durable.

• 10 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2014 at 5:02 AM, RePete said:

I have a Shooters Connection large and medium bags and gave my wife a CED medium bag.

Stay away from the CED/DAA RangePack Pro Backpack, they are collapsing after about 3 months.

*Some* Were collapsing somewhat in the bottom compartment, making zippers on the lower compartment hard to open. Even still, those that had the issue had it resolved by CED with a new bag. RePete evidently didn't read the whole thread. It's the best range bag out there in my opinion, and I have literally tried all the major offerings out there. My Shooters Connection backpack was totally unsupported and tending to collapse in on itself (not the mild compression of the DAA bag) and the quality of construction is FAR better in the DAA backpack. The lower pocket in the SC backpack isn't truly hard-sided, so the weight of the rest of your gear crushes whatever you have in the lower pocket. Spend the money and buy once, cry once. The DAA Rangepack is where it's at for sure.

LAPoliceGear has a great shooting bag.  Good price too.  I think it was around $50.

It's bigger than my Shooter's Connection bag.  Everything is padded well and in one of the outside pockets I can fit a very large  Plano box that holds my moon clips and my tools.  I also have my accessories and the remote for my chronograph.

7 minutes ago, scottrallye said:

*Some* Were collapsing somewhat in the bottom compartment, making zippers on the lower compartment hard to open. Even still, those that had the issue had it resolved by CED with a new bag. RePete evidently didn't read the whole thread. It's the best range bag out there in my opinion, and I have literally tried all the major offerings out there. My Shooters Connection backpack was totally unsupported and tending to collapse in on itself (not the mild compression of the DAA bag) and the quality of construction is FAR better in the DAA backpack. The lower pocket in the SC backpack isn't truly hard-sided, so the weight of the rest of your gear crushes whatever you have in the lower pocket. Spend the money and buy once, cry once. The DAA Rangepack is where it's at for sure.

I did read the whole thread, and I stand by what I have said.

IMO the best range bag is the Shooters Connection.

Hello: I am using a light backpack right now with an insert for all my stuff. So far I like the setup the best. It is a MSM backpack with a Condor folding insert. With the insert you could use any backpack and I have tried it with my sons soccer backpacks. You can't tell it is a shooter bag at all. Blends in great. I may try the pouches that are velcro backed in my Maxpedition messenger bags to see how that works also. The DAA backpacks are heavy with nothing in them at all. When loaded up they are way to heavy for me, that is why I bought the cart which really defeats the purpose of a backpack. I am trying to go lighter and easy to get at the stuff you actually need during a match not a storage container. Thanks, Eric

• 4 months later...
On 10/17/2016 at 6:09 PM, scottrallye said:

I didn't.  And I know several others that didn't.  We were told to pound sand by CED.  The DAA pack is garbage in my opinion.  It's really surprising since I consider everything else made by DAA to be top shelf.  

I got tired of carrying tons of stuff that never got used, so I minimized a few years ago. Got the Blackhawk Sportster Deluxe bag back when it had MOLLE straps on front. I like it cause the handle straps go all the way under the bag so it's not stitching that holds the weight of the bag, but the straps and it holds a pistol and more than enough ammo for a match, spare parts, tools and other incidentals. Bigger stuff I have clipped to the cart it rides on (got tired of carrying bags at all a few years ago as well) including PCC, mags during the match (in the Husky mini-bucket hanging from the cart handle) umbrella, collapsible stool (though the cooler doubles as a place to sit), ear pro, eye pro, knee pads, etc. Handle rotates 180 degrees for storage/transport and umbrella and PCC scabbard are quick detachable. 

Here's the bag:

https://www.amazon.com/Blackhawk-Sportster-Deluxe-Range-Hunting/dp/B0026658U8/ref=pd_lpo_200_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4A4DK18G4X6CV1J8VM4A

And here's the cart currently set up for PCC:

Cart 01 smst.jpg

24 minutes ago, toeheadAR said:

That's a pretty good price on the Blackhawk bag. I personally can't justify something more expensive right now. Any thing you don't like about it?

The only improvement I'd wish for would be magazine pockets, but I just use an i shot magazine storage pouch so it's not a huge deal. It has one pistol pouch and locking compartments too.

• 2 weeks later...

Red Rock Rover sling pack is just big enough for what you need between stages ($23 at Amazon).

Bullets & snacks in main compartment.

ProGrip & multitool in top pocket.

CED 6 mag pouch folded in half, just fits in the front pocket.

Nice hidden CCW stash in the back can be used for whatever.

Small pack keeps me from lugging all the stuff I really don't need.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2014 at 8:00 PM, Flash74 said:

I am not a fan of hydration style backpacks. Sucking luke warm liquid through a hose turned me off of those years ago.

Yeah, prison sucks.