Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 147gr lead load and OAL

denw

I am working on some new loads using 9mm 147gr lead and using Titegroup. It is going well and right now loading for a Sig 226 and it likes longer OAL 1.160 to 1.165. Using Lyman 49th as a starting point the last load I chronographed was 2.7gr @ 1.160 Oal (827 PF) and shoots well but is under power factor trying to obtain 125,000.

The load data in Lyman is 2.5grs to max 2.8grs and this is at OAL 1.058 which for my guns is really short. I am going to give 2.8grs a try but at 1.160 oal I don't think it will still make PF. So my question after all this is since the load data is 2.5 to 2.8 oal 1.058 I should be able to bump the max load a little using 1.160 I would think but wonder what or maybe how a max load for 1.160 is figured if possible to up max safely. Thank You

Hi,

I think you should be trying to get to a 130 PF as your rounds will never corno the same at any given match. If you are sub-minor----thats bad! TG is a hot powder and you may get more leading than say E3 or V310, V320. Solo seems to be popular around MN. The shorter OAL the more pressure you'll get.

I bet DC has a load he'd share, I don't mean to speak for him though---

You are trying to gain ~ 60 FPS to get to 130 PF. You want 884.35 FPS to get that. I am not going to advocate loading outside of the loading tables, but I am going to say I've seen loads here for coated lead bullets that exceed 2.8. Work up to a load and you should be fine. Just do it in small increments and check for pressure signs.

The load data is calling for OAL of 1.058 and my guns I am running 1.160 so isn't there a little safe room to work from max of 2.8grs with their 1.058 OAL and miy OAL of 1.160? I do realize would work small increments no matter what.

There should absolutely be some room to work there. I'm just not going to definitely tell you that it's safe in your gun. If it were me, and my gun, I would bump in 0.1 gr increments until I hit the desired power factor or I saw pressure signs. You SHOULD be able to get to power factor with that bullet and that powder combo with no issues with pressure.

denw, I use to run 3.4gr titegroup under 147gr coated lead @ 1.145 OAL, ave 969 FPS~142 PF out of my XDM 5.25 with absolutely no pressure signs at all, so I think you have some room there. Regular lubed lead runs a little faster than coated so you will probably need 3.1-3.2 to get to 130 PF out of your Sig. Just work upward carefully, in no more than .2 increments and watch for pressure signs.

Thank you very much for the info and right now I have some made up to chrono with 2.8gr and OAL 1.145 to 1.165. I will also chrono some at 3.0 and these should give me a pretty good place to know where need to go to next. I will also test these with my 5.25" XDM and will give a report when I have time to get to the range.