Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pro match .40 magazine

doctordan70s

So I tried the grams follower/spring. It only worked in one mag and while I can get 20/21 in the mag it must be tilting because sometimes I end up with a round under the follower.

The factory mag with the Dawson base pad will hold 20 but on occasion the follower sticks with 3-4 rounds left in the mag. This mag and the other one with the "factory" mecgar follower has trouble locking back on empty. The follower gets pushed to the side and wedges on the slide stop instead of pushing it up. So not only does it not lock back, but it won't drop free.

What do you think? Scrap the whole works and start over? I was going to get some of the promised mbextreme mags but my patience is running out.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one of the RIA Hi-Caps in .40 and have been having fits trying to get mags to work in it right. I ordered some of the 16-40 Mec Gar mags from Greg Cote, added Grams followers/sping with a Dawson base pad. That configuration wouldn't drop free reliably.(follower hanging on slide stop.) I then tried Arredondo followers/springs instead and they drop free reliably, but don't lock the slide back after last round. The other thing is so far they only hold 18 rounds with that set up. Gonna leave mags loaded up and see if the springs relax enough for maybe one more round. I think I can live with the slide not locking back & I know many prefer that. Just have to train to get used to it. Really trying to give this gun a chance as it shoots really well and it was reasonably priced. I know I can probably modify the Grams followers & also get them to work without locking back & get more rounds with them. Just want to confirm that the Grams follower/spring kit linked earlier in thread will work with the Mec Gar mags? When I clicked on it, it said they were for STI/SVI mags.

Edited by ericridebike

I have the Grams STI guts in my Para mags, factory RIA mag, STI mags, & one SV mag. They all drop free, but do not lock the slide back, which I prefer. I get 21 rds. in the Para & RIA mags, & 20 in the STI & SV mags. That is with Dawson base pads.

Edited by OPENB

I have the Grams STI guts in my Para mags, factory RIA mag, STI mags, & one SV mag. They all drop free, but do not lock the slide back, which I prefer. I get 21 rds. in the Para & RIA mags, & 20 in the STI & SV mags. That is with Dawson base pads.

I may have to give the grams STI guts to get a few extra rounds. With the slide not locking back do you count your rounds as you shoot or do you shoot till you run dry and then reload?

Evening gents,

I'm new to the forum but have been hanging out reading all the posts I can about the RIA high caps. I'm sorry to resurrect this thread but was wondering about the STI mags? I bought one for my 51786. It slides into the magwell fine but it won't let the mag catch come back down. Are you gents running STI mags still running stock catches or running Dawson PosiLoks? Or something else?

Thanks for the help.

• 1 year later...

I got an alert from a online store that the 51738 promatch .40 was in stock after many months. I pulled the trigger and ordered it. I don't mind tinkering a little to get it right and at this time I don't care too much about +1 or +2. I just want a couple extra good reliable extra mags for the gun. I prefer to have the slide lock back after last shot. I have been reading and searching is the STI 140MM still the unit of choice? anything else i should look at since the factory units are not available? 

Mike

JUst an FYI to anyone here, the factory mags just popped up as being available on the rock island site this morning after being out of stock forever so i grabbed 2, also thanks for the link to Greg Cote I got a few of the Mec gar with the spiffy Springer precision basepads which i think were a good value as well. So I have 6 mags to play with now to get a load figured out and have some fun