Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pro match .40 magazine

doctordan70s

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 40 Pro Match is enroute along with 4 Para P16 mags w/Dawson basepads that hold 20rds. I'm hoping the SV & STI mags I have will work in it as well. I was told the factory mag is a Mecgar with RIA's +1 basepad. Even with a Dawson +2, that's only 17rds. I'll mess around with mag & basepad combos when it arrives.

I ordered 2 of the Dawson Para basepads also to try. The taran tactical pads will work on the mecgar mag for 17rds but wont lock in because of the mag well. If the Dawson pads dont work i am going to go the STI route and use the mec gars for practice mags. Let us know what you find out.

I was also going to try the Arredondo basepads. They seem to have a smaller profile than either the Dawson or TTI, & might fit the magwell better. Tommy said he gets 20 in the Para tube/Dawson combo, but Para P16 mags are hard to find too. A combo that uses the Mecgar mags & some basepad that holds 20+/- is what we need.

The gun is at my FFL, going to pick it up after work.

I assume you got Mecgars with the flat metal bases, do they lock in as is?

Edited by OPENB

My dealer had one in stock the last time I spoke with him. 910-692-7936 ext 2. Ask for Eddie, and tell him Tommy Roupe told you to call. These pistols are very hard to come by, there is more hand work in the Pro Match.

Ok, this is what I've found so far. The Para tubes w/ Dawson bases and Arredondo followers and springs hold 20 rds. The Mecgar-made factory mag tube with the same guts and base holds 20. The Mecgar tube with factory follower and spring, but with a Dawson base holds 18. I have some Arredondo extended bases at home and will check them after work. Comparing Mec tube to Para tube, I see the indents on sides extend further down on the Mec, possibly preventing the follower from flipping off the spring when fully loaded. Otherwise, they appear identical to the naked eye. The Mec mags are pretty cheap. Greg Cote has them for ~$20, and they are on GB for as cheap as $15. Just have to add the Arredondo and Dawson parts to make a comp ready mag.

Jcc, mine is ramped. I haven't taken it apart yet to see if W/N or C/P, but I'd guess C/P.

Tommy, did you try a Dawson basepad on the factory Mecgar, if so any success?

This is exactly what I would like to know too.

MAy be wrong spot asked on the other thread also!

Trying to find out if the 40's have a ramped barrel?

Yes. The 40's come with Clark/Para ramped barrels.

I have a couple each of STI and SV .40 mags at home. Will report in a couple hours. Yeti, see my post just above yours. The Dawson Para pads work on Mecgar mags, and add 3 rounds without a spring/follower swap.

What i found today. The STI mags run flawlessly, drop free and lock in great. The para mecgar mags are making contact with the

slide lock so it didnt feed very good. Looks like that will be an easy fix by taking a little off the mag or can file down the slide stop. Still

waiting on the Dawson Para base plates to test on the mecgar mags. Gun is very acurate and very easy to control. I need to tweek my

load just a hair but was running 180pf and the gun was easy to control.

Edited by Skeeter190

My STI mags would not go into the gun, not even close. My SV with Grams follower and spring and Dawson SNL base pad locked in and hand cycled all 20 rds. I tried an Arredondo extended basepad on the factory Mecgar with stock spring and follower and got 19. When I put in the Arredondo follower and spring, I got 20 in it, but the follower got stuck at the bottom. I think the best combo I have tried is the SV with Grams guts and Dawson pad, but that is an expensive option. The best bang for the buck is gonna be the Mecgar with Arredondo bases for 19 rds. for around $25 total.

Must be enough tolerance difference in STI tubes for mine not to work, and others do.