Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 Brass

D.Hayden

What are the good, or conversely, the bad brass headstamps to look for or avoid?

I've used LC for a long time, because I used to be able to pick it up for free.. now i have to buy it

I have a 1050 with a trimmer, so processing isn't an issue

Not sure why some people have an issue with Federal. I have loaed hundreds of rounds and never had a problem. When you buy American Eagle you get both Fc and LC brass. I reload all the brass I can pick up and it works for me.

stay away from federal

I don't know why people still think that federal brass is crap and lake city is the gold standard since both are made by the same parent company. That said I have loaded some hot 223 ( read 5.56 pressure) and the brass holds up just fine. Would I pay for federal brass, no but it is the most available as range pickups so as always my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. Edited by acoop101

For most people they will lose it before the primer pocket loosens..... When you resize/trim the brass when you set up for LC brass at 1.750 then FC brass will trim to 1.740 ish. This is not a problem unless you are loading to way high velocities like the Military load. If you are loading a regular load that is not knocking on the max load door then you won't notice a thing out to 200 yds with your loads.

FC is not a problem, just different....

DougC

• 4 weeks later...

I have found that how quickly the primer pocket loosens if often related to who swaged the crimp out. I run into LC brass that was commercially remanufactured and that stuff is swaged far more aggressively than I do personally. The reason is that they are more concerned about not binding up their equipment than brass life.

When I swage crimps I do just enough to allow the primer to go in but I am hand priming so it us not an issue if one occasionally does not go. Were I loading on a progressive I would have to go a little deeper.

.308 Federal brass is soft and primer pockets loosen up quickly, 2-3 firings in my experience. I can then get 2-3 subsonic loadings out of them before I chuck em in the recycling box.

I dont load 223 Federal brass, only LC so I cant comment on the .223 federal primer pockets loosening up.

Im wondering if people saying 223 FC pockets loosen up arent just repeating something they heard about 308 FC primer pockets loosening up and think ALL FC brass does that.

• 2 weeks later...