Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage design using GIMP

SkyRock

Rather than hijack this thread, http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=172768&hl=+stage%20+design%20+software, I thought I'd start a new one.

Has anyone used GIMP for stage design? I'm having problems using the Layer feature. I figure that if I can turn layers on/off and control transparency of other layers (with walls, for instance), I'll be able to use the .BMP stage prop files I've made over the last 20 years.

Help!

Should be doable but slow, every prop you import will be on its own layer, and to move that pro you will need to switch to that layer first. So you will have lots of layers to manage.

That may be, but right now I'm only working with a .BMP file and a single layer. When anything is moved, it usually involves some "work" to make it appear correctly.

I'd just like something like: Range boundaries on one layer, reference grid on it's own layer (really needed since it's an indoor range), and a layer for the targets (never mind other props). That way, I can move targets without affecting the other layers. When I'm finished, turn off the grid layer and make an output graphic file.

But I can't figure out how to make multiple layers visible!!!

Sounds to me like you really want to be using photoshop! Activating and deactivating layers is very easy there.

So I understand. But the price of GIMP is better (free!), and, according to users in other forums, GIMP nearly matches it Photoshop/s functionallity.

I'm looking at Paint.Net, now.