Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bodene 5

I'll shoot .410 every now and then on Skeet and Sporting Clay myself. One of the area ranges has an “easier” Sporting course (in addition to their regular tournament course) and its still a humbling experience with ½ oz of shot.

Shot it when I use to compete in skeet pretty heavy as it's just part of the game. The 410 and doubles were what separated the men from the boys and the ones a lot of people ignored even the competition guys as they would rather practice with the 12 and 20ga and feel good about themselves then wonder why they can't perform at matches with it as chipping away with a 12ga is missing with the 410. Those who practiced and got proficient with that and doubles were what was winning

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shooting .410 can make you better with all of the other gauges as long as the gun fits the same as your others. A weight relatively close to the other gauges is also beneficial. Lots of .410s have been cut down to kid-size and those are very difficult to shoot well...

• 2 months later...

I like 28 gauge also - my Rem1100 28 gauge Sporting Clays is a blast to shoot. Wish 28 gauge shells were cheaper

Sub gauge reloaders pay for quickly. Because you use so much less lead shot, it is actually much less expensive to shoot than 12 guage.

I like 28 gauge also - my Rem1100 28 gauge Sporting Clays is a blast to shoot. Wish 28 gauge shells were cheaper

Sub gauge reloaders pay for quickly. Because you use so much less lead shot, it is actually much less expensive to shoot than 12 guage.

Hello: That is really not true anymore with the 12 gauge 3/4oz loads using Extra-Lite powder. 12 gauge hulls are cheaper and so are the wads. It is a lot cheaper to reload 28 gauge than buy new. 12 gauge 3/4oz it is less than $4 a box for reloads. Thanks, Eric

I'm shooting sporting clays not skeet. I'm shooting 1/2oz for my 410 and 1 1/8 loads for the 12 gauge. I can buy a flat of 12 gauge for 49.99 at a shoot, as for 410 I found flats for 89.99 last year. I'm loading more 410 and less 12 gauge because 12 gauge is not worth it. A bag of shot only gets me 355 12 gauge but I'm loading almost 800 410 shells.