Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Question

Frankl03

I'm picking up a Para Pro Custom 18.9

It comes with an EGW hammer. I would like to pick up and install an EGW hard sear and disco. Any idea if these parts would be drop in since the hammer is EGW or would it be better to have them fit by a Gunsmith?

Thanks!

I'm picking up a Para Pro Custom 18.9

It comes with an EGW hammer. I would like to pick up and install an EGW hard sear and disco. Any idea if these parts would be drop in since the hammer is EGW or would it be better to have them fit by a Gunsmith?

Thanks!

My Para 1640 had some non standard sized parts in it like the guide rod/bushing and also extractor. I would not assume any part in them is going to match the standard 1911 spec for size. Maybe it will, maybe not.

Just picked up the Para at my FFL! Got it at CDNN (couldn't believe the price either so I snapped it up). I've been waiting for the new 16.40. Not sure when that one will make it out!

Fit and finish are great! Trigger is a hair over 4 lbs with just a small amount of travel. If I follow through on the EGW hard sear and disco I will have them fitted to be on the safe side! Thanks for the advice!

The Pro Customs are series 80. I removed the parts and installed the spacer from Brownells into my 18.9 Pro Custom and it has a crisp trigger at about 3lbs. I see no reason to go further. All of the fire control parts are standard 1911, the sear spring is a little longer for the only difference. I installed a Brazos trigger group in my old 14.45 and have a STI hammer and sear in my Black Ops. The extractors are now 1911 also as I have an Aftec in my 18.9. Some of the older Paras use the two piece power extractor, but EGW now makes an oversize one piece unit that drops in. It requires adjustment obviously to the pistol and caliber being used.

Hey Frank103. Have you shot your new para yet? I have def been thinking of getting one and taking advantage of the sale you mentioned. I am hesitant of course because I have not even held one, checked action or fitment. I am trying to find a gun shop that had one stock so I can do so. I also heard that Para may discontinue the whole pro custom line. That is why they are so cheap. Any thoughts?

I'm curious how the Para's pro customs compare to the STI double stacks. If you can get them for $800 or so they appear to be about half the price of an STI and the Para's come with all metal frames. How are they accuracy, fit, and function wise compared to the STI? Is there a down side to these guns?

Edited by shotgunone

Just watch all the MIM parts on the new paras. Broke ambi-safety, barrel bushing and barrel link. Also as mentioned 3 finger spring is longer than 1911 and older para because they machined the slot too low. Brownells has mags.

I have a Para pro Comp 40 single stack. I was told the hammer on my gun was EGW but I don't think so. The half cock notch sheared off, and I could see the nipple from the MIM. If the 18.9 uses EGW, super. I would go into it assuming you'll have to replace the FCG sooner or later. Not a huge deal, C&S Ultralight kits are $150, & are really nice triggers. Plus the cost of a new safety fitted to the sear.

Some of those parts may be coming from other companies that otherwise have solid reputations but they still are MIM parts, I replaced all the fire control system parts including the hammer with quality aftermarket parts. Also barrel link, pin and bushing and thumb safety. Also put in a short gun-craft trigger. Polish the feed ramp, put in a wolf 13lb recoil spring, and you are GTG.

• 5 months later...

Anneal the bend at the bottom with a torch. Allow it to cool. The bottom is now annealed and won't crack when you straighten the tab a little in order to lengthen it. You can also get some length from peening the leafs.