Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 788 makeover

lppd4

I have acquired a Remington 788 in 6mm Remington that is need of a makeover. Looking for suggestions to make this a deer rifle to be proud of. I'm having the holes in the barrel where the sights were mounted filled and all metal cerakoted in black. I have ordered a new recoil pad that I will install when I redo the stock, will also free float the barrel when the stock gets refinished. What else can I do to make this a first class rifle? Is it possible with a 788? I know they have a great reputation for accuracy. What to do for scope mounts and rings? scope suggestions? Load suggestions factory and reloads?

For a deer rifle?
Throw a 3X-10X Leopold with Badger rings and mount on it and use it as is.

Little more?

Get it bedded by a good competent gunsmith.

Little more?

Possibly consider a custom barrel by Hart, Mike Rock, Krieger, etc...If you ask a dozen guys what barrel to use you'll likely get a dozen answers but you can't go wrong with one of those.

Little more?

Scope? A week ago I'd of said Nightforce NXS model 3.5X-15X if you want to just go a little crazy.

Seriously crazy?

A week ago I'd of said US Optics or Schmidt and Bender.

But two days ago I find out that Steiner is coming out with a new one for long range 5X-25X 56mm objective. Model is T5xi

Big honking piece of glass but its going (IMHO) to take the scope market by storm.

Price point is right around $2200-$2300 MSRP.

I know it sounds like a lot of $ but consider that the market share they're competing against is Schmidt and Bender and US Optics whose comparable models is around $3500-$4000msrp

Has a lifetime warranty that IS transferable.

The glass is made in Germany. Everything else is done at a factory in the US (I believe its in Colorado).

I'm liking what I'm hearing about this scope so far. My local shop has 3 on order and it hasn't even been officially unveiled at SHOT yet.

update got an email from Botach they were selling Steiner 5002 Predator Xtreme 3-12x56mm scopes fro $399.95. So I bought one to go on my Remington .260, this frees up the Leupold 3.5-10x50mm to go on the 788. Anybody have any experience with Steiner scopes?

I got a 788 in 22-250 for my first rifle for varmints. Rifle is still very accurate with factory or hand loads, easily sob moa.

The weak link in the rifle is the bolt handle attachment. I broke mine when I was running some neck sized loads for the rifle and not hot loads. Handle came off trying to open bolt after a shot. Sent bolt to gunsmith to get repaired and never came back. Rifle set for years and found gunsmith that could make new bolt assembly. Sent rifle to him got new bolt fitted for rifle and back up and running. Should of just scrapped the rifle but was first gun I learned to shoot long with.

Keep the chamber clean and don't push your reloads the the edge of hard extraction.

• 1 month later...

My 788 makeover is complete. Iron sights had been removed so I had the holes in barrel filled, barrel recrowned and all metal bead blasted and cerakoted black. I bought a new stock from Boyd's gunstocks classic styled walnut for about $135.00 shipped. Found a decent leather sling in my stash for the rifle. Had a little trouble finding the scope base and mounting system I wanted to use because neither Leupold or Redfield makes a one piece base to fit this rifle any more. Weaver does but no one had them in stock. While looking on EBAY I found C&C outdoor products who had the bases in stock, I'm unsure who manufactured the part but looks like a Leupold/Redfield base. I already had a set of Leupold rings and a Leupold Vari X-3 3.5-10x50mm. Got the scope mounted yesterday and made it to the range today. The PD range only goes to 50 yards and I didn't have a super stable platform to shoot from but managed to shoot about a .75" group out of the rifle. I think the rifle turned out really nice, and shoots pretty good too. Can I expect the .75" group to extrapolate into 1.5" group at 100 yards? Budget rifle and didn't break the bank on the makeover.

post-1258-0-22608300-1421870791_thumb.jp

post-1258-0-88034000-1421870809_thumb.jp

I miss my old 788. With the right loads, it would go sub MOA. I had free floated the barrel and glass bedded the action. It had an old 3x9 Leupold Gold ring on it. Good glass that matched the rifle's potential. I replaced the plastic butt plate with a thin rubber pad for comfort and to keep the butt from sliding on my shoulder. It was nothing to look at but shot very well. The biggest drawback was the trigger. It was smooth but heavy, like a chrome plated crowbar. Got short of funds and let it go. :(

Search for an article on the 788 trigger mod. In short, trigger is heavy because same spring pushes both trigger return and sear. Drill and tap two places, cut sear spring down to fit and and add new trigger return spring. My trigger is under a pound and the rifle will do dime size three shot groups @ 100 yds, That is bedded and handloads.

Ditto on not running super hot loads. Bolt handle attachment is soldered not welded and can be broken due to heavy loads causing excess case expansion and hard extraction. Old Remington barrels normally shot as well as anyone else's light sporter barrel. They can be beaten by going heavier.

Paul

First rifle was a 788 in .243. Still have it, bought in '74 at the local Ace hardware for less than $75 according to Dad. Helped that Mom worked for the Owner and got a discount.