Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend me a buttstock for 16" competition build

1eyedfatman

I've only had different adjustable magpul buttocks on my rifles. But now I'm putting together a new 16" competition AR15 and am weighing the options for a buttstock. I already have the barrel, upper, handguard and a few other things ordered. Haven't touched the buffer tube, buffer, spring, or buttstock. I'm also trying to consider less weight on this one, but won't sacrifice comfort or performance.

At the top of my list now is the ACE Skeleton 9.9" buttstock. I've seen it used many times at matches, it is light and looks easy to install on a bare lower. Anybody agree this is a good choice or is that old school and theres something better now. Or maybe I'd regret not having the adjustability? I'm 6', 185 lbs, so I think the 9.9" would be a good fit. Current scoped rifle is 10.25" and red dot 9 1/16" stocks.

I am 6'3" with ape arms and I have the Ace on my limited rifle and I love it. I never adjust the adjustable stocks on my other rifles anyway. They always wins up all the way out. The Ace is light and sturdy. Only downside is the lack of a QD attachment for a sling that some matches require.

LOP on that Ace stock is 13" without a recoil pad, 13" is a bit too long for me. I have mine setup with a Magpul fixed carbine stock, extended recoil pad and I think it's perfect. it's probably the equivalent of having it out 3 clicks for an adjustable stock. ymmv.

What do you have on the front of the gun? the stock changes the balance and feel of the gun for sure and if its a heavier front end a super light stock may not be a good thing. The Magpul MOE rifle is a good fixed stock or even a std A2 on a budget

Front of the gun will be a Strongside Tactical Stetch 16" intermediate gas barrel and a SLR Rifleworks Ultra Lite 15" keymod hand guard with a Lantec Dragen comp….so pretty lite compared to my 18" stainless BBL rifle. Also on it will be a SWFA 1-6x scope. I'm a little confused on the length of the ACE stock. Description says like 10", but 13" length of pull? So how long does it extend from the end of the receiver to the end of the pad? 10" out I could do, not 13".

Front of the gun will be a Strongside Tactical Stetch 16" intermediate gas barrel and a SLR Rifleworks Ultra Lite 15" keymod hand guard with a Lantec Dragen comp….so pretty lite compared to my 18" stainless BBL rifle. Also on it will be a SWFA 1-6x scope. I'm a little confused on the length of the ACE stock. Description says like 10", but 13" length of pull? So how long does it extend from the end of the receiver to the end of the pad? 10" out I could do, not 13".

Length of pull is measured to the trigger, the stock itself is about 10" and there is a 1" butt pad normally included. I have a couple of these and I prefer not to use the butt pad. It does not come with a buffer tube, buffer or spring so you will need to buy these if you don't already have them for the build. Ace also makes an entry version that is 7 1/4" long.

Doug

LOP for a fixed A1 stock is 12.875

LOP for a fixed A2 stock is 13.5

LOP for a magpul CTR Commercial is 10.95 Collapsed, 14.75 fully extended

LOP for a magpul CTR Milspec is 10.7 Collapsed 13.95 Fully extended

Those shouuld give you an idea as to how long it is based on other stocks

With the light upper the stock weight dosent matter as much in the range that people have listed. For a heavy nose gun, you would want a heavier stock to balance ie out ie 20Inch Hbar would be way nose heavy

Edited by EkuJustice

The ACE being 10.5" (with .5" pad) from the end of the receiver (or 13.5" LOP) is a little on the long side. Don't have the rifle all together yet so not sure of 1-6x scope placement. May just have to wait and put the scoped upper on an adjustable stock lower and take some measurements before committing to a fixed length. Delays, delays, delays...

There's a 10-32 thread in my ACE "block". I welded a 10-32 screw to a sling socket and put it on mine. Someone needs to make that variation.

For a stock, I've gone to the TacMod. Adjusts for length and tilt and has a cheekpiece that aligns my head perfectly when prone. Heavy tho...

The ACE being 10.5" (with .5" pad) from the end of the receiver (or 13.5" LOP) is a little on the long side. Don't have the rifle all together yet so not sure of 1-6x scope placement. May just have to wait and put the scoped upper on an adjustable stock lower and take some measurements before committing to a fixed length. Delays, delays, delays...

Mike, since you're getting into the 3Gun thing pretty heavily I'd suggest going this route first and seeing how your rifle balances, what works for you best for eye relief on your optic, etc...

Shoot a few matches first with the adjustable stock so you can see what works for you in the various positions you'll be forced to shoot from. Especially if you're having to shoot with just one eye!

I had the Ace stock on my JP and liked it alright. I have been running the Magpul MOE rifle stock on my AR10 and like it. I started looking at pictures and video of me shooting both rifles and noticed a different head position when shooting the Ace stocked rifle (head down more due to shorter butt plate, not length of pull shorter, vertically shorter causing me to look through the top of my glasses). I just put the Magpul on my JP and like the way it feels, I have not been able to do any extensive testing yet though.

Hurley

LOP for a fixed A1 stock is 12.875

LOP for a fixed A2 stock is 13.5

LOP for a magpul CTR Commercial is 10.95 Collapsed, 14.75 fully extended

LOP for a magpul CTR Milspec is 10.7 Collapsed 13.95 Fully extended

Those shouuld give you an idea as to how long it is based on other stocks

With the light upper the stock weight dosent matter as much in the range that people have listed. For a heavy nose gun, you would want a heavier stock to balance ie out ie 20Inch Hbar would be way nose heavy

Do you know if the A1 is the shortest rifle length buffer option? The PRS is rather too long for me, so looking for options.

I have some ACE socks and several of the others, for 3gun, the MagPul ACS-L is my overwhelming favorite. The length adjustment, while not necessary has helped me or several times. Almost always need it on a Stage at Superstition.

I went with the Mission First Tactical BMS minimalist stock after almost going ACE. Reasons are:

- very lite (5.8oz)

- adjustable

- cheek weld looked decent

- fits on very snug with no wobble

- looks cool (I think)

- looks comfortable (I like the way the bottom curves & that pad sure looks cushy)

- doubles as a grappling hook if I need to scale a wall :cheers:

- inexpensive!

- If for some strange reason I don't like it, I have a fleet of Magpul adjustable stocks I can switch on the tube which I couldn't with some other fixed lengths…I still have options with it

Spankymac do you find that the lancer butt pad is a little slippery? I'm used to the Ace with the rubber butt pad. I was thinking about plasti-dipping the lancer.

hysupra,

I did feel it was very slippery so I tried my grip treatment to it.....no slip now

Screenshot_2014-12-07-15-55-16_zpscqavli

Edited by spankymac