Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you made a recent S&W purchase and everything was good?

Religious Shooter

I was about to go to my LGS and pay CA prices for a Model 60 Pro Series.

http://www.turners.com/smith-and-wesson/smith-wesson-pro-series-m60-357mag-3-barrel-268741

Then I saw the other thread...

Has anybody had good luck with a recently made S&W revolver? Or should I just not make this purchase?

I had bad luck with a recent SP101 purchase (the trigger locks up with live fire) and don't want to get burned again.

Only one I sent back was my own fault. Can't say I've seen a bad one from the factory in person.

It's not surprising to see a thread about some bad ones, nobody raves about the other 14 they have that work fine.

My experience has been that your chances of getting a functional, mechanically sound gun right out of the box are better than ever. I'm not a fan of every design and material choice they have made, but their current manufacturing process provides a high level of consistency. Bad products still get out but S&W customer service is better than most at resolving those issues. As for your SP 101, my one experience with Ruger customer service was very positive. If you haven't already, give them a chance to convert your experience from burned to inconvenienced.

http://www.turners.com/smith-and-wesson/smith-wesson-pro-series-m60-357mag-3-barrel-268741

Has anybody had good luck with a recently made S&W revolver? Or should I just not make this purchase?

I had bad luck with a recent SP101 purchase (the trigger locks up with live fire) and don't want to get burned again.

As the originator of the "other" thread, I have purchased quite a few recent manufactured S&W revolvers that are great, Normallt I purchased from a local gun shop where i can inspect the firearm, in the case of my 929 I purchased it from an out of state distributor and could not inspect it before purchase. If your local GS will allow you to properly inspect the gun here are a few tips.

Take six empty resized cases all the same brand with you, load them in the cylinder and check the timing by slowly pulling the trigger and look to make certian the cylinder bolt locks up before the hammer falls, I normally put a slight drag on the cyllinder by resting my thumb against it. Also take a set of feeler gauges with you and check the gap between the empty case and the firing pin recoil shield .007 inches is perfect and .012 is acceptable, check this for each cylinder, they shoild all be within .002 inches. Next check the gap between the barrel and cylinder .003 is good .04 is ideal and anything over .008 is too much, you should check both sides as some of the newer guns have as much as .005 differnce, this is definately not good. Next do a visual inspectiion are their any mars in the finish, does the barrel look line it is on straight, If everything checks out chances are you will not have any problems witht he gun, I see the GS have 10 in stock check as many as you can untill you find the one you like best,

I have purchased two new S&W revolvers in the last 2 years. Neither were "right" in my opinion. The 627pc was a complete mess, barrel on sideways, crown all screwed up, burrs inside, hammer needed shimming to keep from hitting the frame. I didn't trust that S&W was going to fix the gun in a timely manner so a buddy and I fixed it all up.

My 929 was in better shape but still looked like they cut the crown then cut the rifling. Neither were even close to being hand tuned like the PC claims. I would really like to see what they call hand tuning down there.

Personally I think current S&W revolvers are pretty much a joke compared to the older ones but....they are really the only show in town (for competition), so that is what I shoot. Very few competitive shooters are going to use them without extensive tuning anyway. When they are all tuned up they are sweet.

In the last few years:

• 625 PC had bad grips, bad polish job on the exterior, and did not have the "hand tuned" action as advertised. The gun had a rougher action than most new Smiths right out of the box. The gun was a different animal after an action job and a set of grips. Love it.
  • 2 1/2" 686 seems like a great gun. The crown looks a little funny (out of round), but the gun satisfies me. Love it.
  • 4" 629 was a great gun right out of the box. I changed the grips. Love it.
  • 442 (four year old?) is a good little gun. LOTS of holster wear. The action has smoothed up with just a little bit of shooting. Love it.

On the whole, I cannot complain about S&W revolvers, but it sucks when they drop the ball, and it is not ok to put a gun out there that is not up to specs or not delivered with the advertised features.

Finally got a 929 and everything was fine with respect to the fit & finish. Accuracy is good too.

My only complaint is the so called Performance Center trigger.

It's a joke and doesn't garner the extra cost. But in the 929's case you don't have a choice.

A JM spring kit, Apex hammer and a ton of polishing solved that issue.

A minor issue is the front sight. I personally don't like the all all black sight picture. But Toolguy is fixing that too.

Picked up a 29-3 in 2006, the FP bushing and Cylinder Bushing were bad, sent in and customer service returned it with a fp bushing cocked so bad it left a .010 ridge, sent it back and was returned ok.

2007 bought a new 625-8 PC and while nothing was really bad, I've had to change hands and clean it up. The crown was ok though.

2012 bought a 627-5 and it was good from the box, except for the razor sharp cuts they left at the crown. Liked the rear sight, changed fs and grips, smoothed the action and recut the crown and forcing cone. Been great so far.

2014 received a 442-2 at the 2014 Revo Nationals and just had to smooth up the action cause a I just can't leave anything alone. The crown and all else seems good.

The PC brand isn't worth anything special. And you won't see a quality action job from them.

I bought a 627 Pro this summer. Nothing wrong with it beyond a minor cosmetic mark on the barrel. Heck, it was even correctly sighted in (totally unexpected based on previous experience).

However, another shooter who bought one of the first 929s and it had a barrel that never should have left the factory. The breech end of the barrel was not square and what passed for a forcing cone was somewhat radical.

They did fix it for him.

I picked up a 327PC in I think early 2013, and everything was just fine. My 625-8 was used so I can't be sure whether or not it's been to the factory and back before. Not sure if autoloaders will indicate anything for you, but my most recent Pro 9mm was just fine a few months before that. I also had a dealer demo Pro .40 that had its front fiber fall out, but it's a dealer demo, sooo...

The only troubling thing I've had from them was my first M&P 9 in..2011 I think that has some abnormal tool marks in front of the chamber on the barrel.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a 60 pro series

3 weeks ago only been to the range 1 time shot 50 rounds of .357 mag. and 75 rounds of .38 +p had no issues.

The first one the salesman showed me had a broken grip glad I inspected it before I left the store.

Edited by deno56

Take six empty resized cases all the same brand with you, load them in the cylinder and check the timing by slowly pulling the trigger and look to make certian the cylinder bolt locks up before the hammer falls, I normally put a slight drag on the cyllinder by resting my thumb against it. Also take a set of feeler gauges with you and check the gap between the empty case and the firing pin recoil shield .007 inches is perfect and .012 is acceptable, check this for each cylinder, they shoild all be within .002 inches. Next check the gap between the barrel and cylinder .003 is good .04 is ideal and anything over .008 is too much, you should check both sides as some of the newer guns have as much as .005 differnce, this is definately not good. Next do a visual inspectiion are their any mars in the finish, does the barrel look line it is on straight, If everything checks out chances are you will not have any problems witht he gun, I see the GS have 10 in stock check as many as you can untill you find the one you like best,

Good advice, I might add a couple:

1) Check hammer for drag marks on the frame.

2) See if rear sight is cranked all the way to one side or the other, sure sign barrel is rotated and not lined up.

3) Check gap between back of empty brass and recoil shield all the way around, not just at the top. I have seen several that were not square.

4) Check cylinder lockup in all six positions. Cock hammer, pull trigger and hold trigger pulled and gently check cylinder for any rotational wobble (play). A well fitted new gun will not have play in lockup.

Edited by bountyhunter

brand new 686 pro series 7 shot 5". So far so good. Front sight is too tall, but its a simple blade. Alot easier to file it down than file it up. Gun was about 18" low at 25 yards out of box. Afraid to crank up anymore. I was shooting 158 grain, 38's and 130 pmc 357's Will run a few boxes of factory remington 125 357 soft points through it before I do anything. My intended load is 140 gr XTP's over a buttload of 2400 in 357 cases, and 147gr black bullets over a mousefart load of American select in 38 spc cases.
So far I love this gun, havent shot in years and this was the first gun I got excited about in years.

Edited by Joe4d

I have owned and shot many S&W revolvers. The only one that wasn't G2G was a recent manufacture M67. The only way to get it close to hitting center was to crank the rear sight way over to the right. The shop took it back and the shop owner notice that the barrel might not have been installed correctly. I looked at a new M66 in the case and the rear sight didn't seem to sit square and plumb on the top.

For now I only buy used classic S&W's.

I have owned and shot many S&W revolvers. The only one that wasn't G2G was a recent manufacture M67. The only way to get it close to hitting center was to crank the rear sight way over to the right. The shop took it back and the shop owner notice that the barrel might not have been installed correctly. I looked at a new M66 in the case and the rear sight didn't seem to sit square and plumb on the top.

For now I only buy used classic S&W's.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR ON A NEW SW:

Just to summarize, here are the gross defects to look out for:

1) Barrel not straight. You can often just eyeball the "ribs" and see if they align with the frame, but another sure sign is if the rear sight is cranked all the way to one side of the other.

2) Drag marks on the sides of the hammer.

3) Forcing cone chewed up. Open the cylinder and inspect the end of the forcing cone for gouging with a file. Also check for the end being flat/square and not rounded off from filing.

4) Side plate not fitted. Run your finger around the seam where the side plate mates with the frame. I have seen plates so tight that the edge "ridges up" where it meets the frame. You don't want this.

FEELER GAUGE CHECKS

5) Check barrel/cylinder gap. For a while, they were all running .010 - .012" with one I saw at .015. Best range is about .004" - .008" with a limit of about .010".

6) Check cylinder to breech face gap. Nominal range is about .062" - .064". Check all the way around (not just at the top) as some guns have spots which are not square.

Edited by bountyhunter