Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929's moons backing out

Koppi

I have heard through the grape vine that the moon clips are backing out while shooting and jamming up the gun. This I have heard is because of the 9mm taper and the recoil driving the empties out while the gun is being fired.

Has anyone had that happen while shooting? Has anyone shot a match with one?

I'm asking because I was considering buying one, but if this problem exits I'm going to look for a 38 super instead.

It's a pressure issue. If the pressure is too high you will have the cases back out, and extraction issues of course.

So far for me, I haven't had a problem getting to 125pf, but I'm having a tough time getting to 135pf without sticky extraction.

Have not had a chance to chrono my match loads yet but I went thru 10 clips of WWB 115gr as fast as I could pull the trigger and all extracted easily, cold cylinder or hot. This is on a new 929, so not sure if this is becoming more of an issue over time??? I know these loads in my M&P 5" are ~150PF........

It's a pressure issue. If the pressure is too high you will have the cases back out, and extraction issues of course.

So far for me, I haven't had a problem getting to 125pf, but I'm having a tough time getting to 135pf without sticky extraction.

My gun is still off having the magic done, haven't been able to expirement at all.

When last i left the conversation though, the reloading Oracle indicated using a sizing die other than the dillon one, like a U die or redding, would probably help with this.

Have you tried that?

I have heard through the grape vine that the moon clips are backing out while shooting and jamming up the gun. This I have heard is because of the 9mm taper and the recoil driving the empties out while the gun is being fired.

I'm asking because I was considering buying one, but if this problem exits I'm going to look for a 38 super instead.

I have shot several matches with my 929 running 132 PF loads and 147 grn bullets, no problems with the rounds backing out however I use WW brass and Th Custom moon clips exclusively. I have found that hot loads fire OK but extraction is a problem.

I have about 500-700 rounds through my 929 mostly at the plate match's. Loads have been right around 125pf with 147 grain bullets. Gun has ran flawlessly. Only issues I am having is some of my crimps/ oal on my hand loads are not right and am having bullets come loose. Also an occasional light primer hit with some of my brass that has thinner rims. Nothing I can blame on the gun. I actually love this damn thing. So does most everybody that shoots it. For some reason I acquire plates much faster than my 4" guns.

On the end cap. I have had a .357 and a 38 super, the cap is just a "crap catcher". But if I cut it off the 38 super, I won't be able to shoot open in ICORE with the thing. Does anyone have a cleaning solution?

It's good to hear that my worries about the rounds backing out is unfounded. There is one for sale here, I think it won't be for long.

Thanks!

On the end cap. I have had a .357 and a 38 super, the cap is just a "crap catcher". But if I cut it off the 38 super, I won't be able to shoot open in ICORE with the thing. Does anyone have a cleaning solution?

It's good to hear that my worries about the rounds backing out is unfounded. There is one for sale here, I think it won't be for long.

Thanks!

You can still shoot open in ICORE even without the end cap. Nothing says the gun has to be ported. Just putting a red dot on a revolver will put you in open.

Thanks!

You can still shoot open in ICORE even without the end cap. Nothing says the gun has to be ported. Just putting a red dot on a revolver will put you in open.

I've shot Open in ICORE for years without any porting whatsoever. The dot is really what gives you the advantage. The power factor is just so low anyway that porting doesn't help.

-ld

Cleaning solution would be 50% white vinegar and 50% hydrogen peroxide. Soak cap in soultion and for a couple of hours and then clean. Use this on stainless steel only and do not use on any other finish. Last comp I cleaned I let it soak for 24 hrs then cleaned and repeated until clean. You shouldn't have to go that extreme as the comp I was cleaning had crud in it that had built up over the years. But when finished looked like new. Spray a small amount of WD 40 on comp before shooting and it will make it easier to clean. Not a lot just enough to put a small flim on it.

Try Dillon case lube in compensator before shooting. Will also keep comp clean and easier to clean. Remember just a light flim or the first time you fire your red dot and glasses will be covered with lube. Also do a search on Google on how to clean a compensator.

This thread veered off to comps but here's what I encounterd with a new 929.

I worked on a friends 929 a few months ago.

Out of the box it would hang up on his reloads, very nice reloads btw, new blazer 124 grn worked

okay but after 5 or 6 shots the back of the rounds would start hanging up on the firing pin bushing,

why these have a convex profile and protrude out from the recoil shield I'll never understand.

Anyway, I filed the FP bushing down flush with the RS and with my reloads and his (mine were less

nice) the gun worked .

Went to reduce the trigger pull and found his original, hollowed out firing pin was the ticket to get

the action down to a reasonable pull weight, I did try a stock .515 long S&W fp and a Power .510

long fp but neither of these would set off the fed primers reliably.

After getting the gun back to my friend he did have some more backing out issues, he went with a

Lee undersize die for sizing and since then he has not had any trouble with his 929.

(least none that he's told me about).

Also, his reloaded ammo was a 147 grn bullet using various brass and Fed 100 primers, not sure

of the powder but the load was chronoed at 130-135 pf

Long story I know, but I ain’t done yet :P

This 929 was very accurate imo, I was surprised what I could hit at 30-40 yrds, I’m not an accurate

shooter and can not duplicate what I could do with my revo’s what I could with this 929.

I like the 38 supers and thought with the 929’s 6.5 inch barrel it would feel heavy, it didn't, my super

actually feels heavier than this 929.

So to finish, if your already loading 9mm why not go with the 929 !

If you do I'd suggest start loading your ammo with the undersized die, heck it’s probably a good

thing for any autos you shoot too.

If you do your own trigger job don’t just toss the stock firing pin, it might work out in the end.

If you go the 627/38 Super route you may have to deal with a used gun, undersized/oversized

cylinder throats, smaller case rims which can be a pain in the clips and whatever other issues this

forum has uncovered.

So good luck, just remember, any problem you encounter will be one that someone else here has,

or is dealing with and they might already have a solution.

That’s it, I gotta get back to work.

Went to reduce the trigger pull and found his original, hollowed out firing pin was the ticket to get

the action down to a reasonable pull weight, I did try a stock .515 long S&W fp and a Power .510

Dave

A stock .515 long S&W firing pin? That's something that I have never seen.

I ditched the hollow factory pin because I bought the gun used (about 100 rounds had been fired) and it was already digging a circular hole in the face of the hammer.

Dave

A stock .515 long S&W firing pin? That's something that I have never seen.

I ditched the hollow factory pin because I bought the gun used (about 100 rounds had been fired) and it was already digging a circular hole in the face of the hammer.

I was surprised too gregg, first one I've seen.

I believe the stock hollow one was .490-.495 long.

I'll have to check with the owner of

the one I worked on and have him check his hammer face, thanks for the heads up.

Edited by 10mmdave

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the issue of the barrel end cap of the 929 building up layers of crud that would have to be chipped out. One of the open gun shooters told me that they just spray some Pam cooking oil in their compensators to keep them clean. I cleaned all the crud out of the cap and off the end of the barrel and sprayed it with Pam and after shooting a little over 400 rounds I did not see any accumulation so I pulled the cap off and the inside is free of any carbon or lead build up. :cheers:

Hey Guys.....We had to ream the chambers on the 625s........Maybe we need to run a reamer in the 9mm chambers.....Something to think about. I will have my hands on a buddy's gun later this month and will try some 160s loaded with TG in it and see how it performs.

Why would we think the 9mm chambers would be any different than the 45 chambers.....same people making them.....something to ponder.

DougC