Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Clay Pigeons

JKSNIPER

I recently was attending a Remington demo day at the Maidstone Gun Club in East Hampton NY

Aside from the really cool suppressed MSR in .338 Lapua Magnum (NICE!) I got some one on one shotgun coaching from Charlie Conager from Remington.

He was a great guy and a super instructor. I never was much of a shotgun shooter mainly due to my lack of success in hitting those damm clay pigeons with any sort of consistency.

I'd nail a few then miss then nail a couple then miss...it was very frustrating.

So when Charlie's first instruction was to "ignore the sights" I thought my hearing had gone out again.

I said "Charlie...they put this neat ventilated rib on here and this super cool red fiber optic sight so I could....not use it?" (Remington Versamax shotgun)

He said "Trust me...just point at it like you're pointing at something to bring it to my attention."

It was like magic. All of a sudden I'm hitting full strings of clays...running the gun out of ammo and reloading and still hitting them. and whenever I fell back into using the sights and closing one eye I would immediately miss the clays.

I had a lot of fun and now have a new addiction to feed.

Nice work!

:cheers:

Never allow your focus to leave the bird. It's super easy to try to "measure" the shot, by looking for the "lead." Which is why the greatest shotgun coach, Steve Middleditch, would never stop saying - "There is no lead." And, "look at the bird!"

Thanks Brian.
And the new Versa max shotgun by Remington was a lot of fun to shoot.

I have a Winchester Model 120 in my safe now....and I'd love to add a versa max but since my wife threatened my life if one more firearm "migrates" to my possession before she has a new kitchen I think the kitchen will get remodeled very soon!

Edited by JKSNIPER

The floor is going in now.

The flooring guys found the subfloor by the side door is rotted probably due to a defective install of the door resulting in water getting under the sill to the plywood underneath. Not a major problem but one that has to be dealt with.

My wife went on Marble.com and found one of their yards is only a 45 minute drive away so we went there. Lots of stuff on display. We're getting Quartzite . We wanted marble but after being warned away by multiple people we decided on the quartzite because it closely resembles marble but is much harder and less likely to stain.

Cabinets are coming in early December, sink and faucets are already here (Shaw sink, Perrin and Rohl faucet) Plumbing was re routed by my brother and I and we're going to be redoing some outlets and high hat and pendant lighting.

I told her to pick out what she wants 'cos this is the kitchen we're going to live with till we're gone....and Daddy needs a new shotgun!

Get a Versamax. It is a heavy beast, but one that has been supremely reliable for me. I went with the Sportsman model. I saved 400 bucks off the standard model and picked up the extended choke tubes I wanted for 17 bucks a piece.

Definitely looking at that option HARD Flash. :)

The kitchen is moving along slowly. The flooring guys are great. Install is now done and they're going to be starting to sand on Monday.

The cabinet guy kind of screwed us. Supposedly the order was already in with a tentative date of delivery of Dec 7-10.

We find out the guy had a death in his family and I guess with everything going on never ordered them.

Now we're looking at a tentative date of delivery of Dec 20.

No way it will be done for Christmas. Sink has to get installed, counter guys have to come measure and do their magic....looks like Johnny will be shopping for the versamax in the POST Christmas sale time.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a Versamax come into the local shop....and go out the same day.

Guy came in and without even asking just took one look at it and it was SOLD.

They're ordering more but were told it might take a little while to get because they're so popular now.

Floor has been stained and 2 coats of polyurethane is on and cured. Waiting on cabinet delivery on Tuesday.

Install begins after Christmas.

Then its new gun shopping for me!