Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor questions

jimbullet

I've got an STI Edge 40 in which the extractor is somewhat loose in the sense that if you point the pistol downwards, you can hear a tiny "tick" and if I point it upwards it does it again. Upon inspection, the extractor appears to be kinda loose that there is a very tiny play forward and backward.

Having said that, it has not jammed on me for over 1000 rounds now since I found this out and the tension seems to be adequate that when I slip in a loaded round from under the slide (gun in field strip), and I try to wiggle the slide, the live round will not fall off, though it ever so slightly moves. The point however is that it appears it has adequate tension.

I do have a spare extractor but it hasnt yet been tuned on the pistol and with no tools available, it would be guess work for me.

My question, should I be concerned going into a major match with such an extractor? I kinda agree with the saying if it aint broke, why fix it. It hasnt failed me as yet and if it does, I do have a spare but its one that I have yet to tune for a proper tension.

Anyone experience this sort? The extractor is still the original STI extractor. Havent considered the AFTEC yet and there is no time to get that done prior to the major match I a preparing for anyway.

Yes, I have seen it before. I am kind of obsessive so it would bug me. I have fixed it before by cutting the extractor groove a bit deeper which means it needed to be bent a bit more which gave it resting tension in the extractor channel but still the correct tension with a round under the rim. Ones which rattle "no load" have no tension in the extractor tunnel but have enough when the round is inserted.

IMHO, one of the reasons may be that extractors are too stiff and don't deflect as much. They are supposed to be made of spring steel but most now are not.

This can be fixed, but I am not 100% sure it is a reliability problem. Based on yours, I would say probably not.

Edited by bountyhunter

If you have the correct tension with a round inserted that means that it's adjusted right. The only possible concern with one that is loose no load is that it might clock (rotate) slightly as the round tries to feed up and in but if it is working 100%, that doesn't seem to be happening.

Until there is a problem, I would leave it alone.

That said, 1911 extractors do require periodic monitoring and adjusting like every few thousand rounds.