Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WJM's road to Master

WJM

Stage 1- Good stage for me. 1 pick up on paper that I needed to do to make up for a delta forced me to do another reload than I wanted. As well as I shot the closer target on the right first resulting in a dust cloud which caused me to not see the back target on the right near the start of the video. This caused me to just put two shots on the target and caused an Alpha Delta.

Stage 2- Draw was good, exit from the first position was good, entry into the second position was good, exit from the second position was good, entry into the 3rd position was good. Wheels came off on the left steel as I was trying to leave on it. Going to have to work on my position exit with hard steel. Call It and Leave It drill. Position entry into the 4th position was good I thought, but needed 2 make ups on steel over there. Shot the rest of the steel clean, but my stage crapped up because of entering and exiting on steel.

Stage 3- First stage of the match for me, hands were frozen solid. No excuses though. Needed 5 make up shots to finish this stage. 2 on paper I called bad and made them up (I had the extra rounds), and the steel ones were just silly. I rushed off the left mini popper thinking I needed more time on the max trap, when in reality I had another .1 seconds I could've waited to make sure my sights were there but I didn't.

Stage 4- 7 charlies good God. Too many. Most were barely out, and surprisingly they didn't happen in the middle array where I turned up the heat. I had 1 Charlie on the draw, and then one on the second target which shouldn't have happened. Usually thats where I am my best so I am pissed with that. Swingers went well, and I thought my movements were really solid here. Position entry went good, and I was able to double to full size popper to get the swinger moving better.

Stage 5- One of my better stages at the match. Draw was a little slow, but it was in such an awkward position that it is to be expected to have such a slow draw. My one charlie on this stage was on the furthest right partial. I think I was just aiming off of the hardcover and it resulted in me pulling a shot left of the alpha zone. Had 2 make ups on the Leo's leaner steel, but it is a spinning steel so I can't beat myself up too bad. Position entry into the popper was excellent and my reload was also solid.

Stage 6- This stage was interesting. I changed my plans before the 5 minutes were up, and it actually turned out for the best. The steel was at a pretty good distance, and only being able to see half of the poppers because of barrels made this stage a complete pain in the ass. I shot the mini popper which was at around 20 yards on the right hand side which means I could only see about 1/3-1/2 of the mini popper which made it a damn tough shot. I needed 2 make ups on that steel.

Stage 7- Good stage minus make ups on steel. Was able to double the large popper on the left and hit the mini which made for a good activation sequence on the swinger, and really made that position fast. However the make ups on the right mini poppers made it almost a useless venture. Need to work on this still.

Stage 8- No make ups on steel in the first position, and burnt down the steel in a fast time. Right side I missed my positioning, and it resulted in a skewed stance. Messed up my first and second shot on the Leo's leaner because my foot position, and had to have several make ups because of it. 

Stage 9- Unloaded start went perfect, first target went perfect, then I pulled a no shoot. It was an Alpha No shoot, so it barely tagged the no shoot. I honestly don't know what happened. Maybe I overswung that transition a tiny bit, or maybe I trigger jerked it bad but it felt perfect so I really don't know. The steel went perfect on this stage though.

Stage 10- My best stage at this match. I didn't shoot the polish cleanly. My draw was a mike, and I tried to get fancy and shoot a steel between the wall and the barrel, but in hindsight it was for the best because I was able to get the perfect movement on the polish to not have to worry about it getting out of control. The right mini poppers I needed a make up on, but they were really far away so I don't feel too bad about that. I won this stage by 40 points, so easily my best one.

What did I do good?

-Points. Was very accurate and watched my sights on every target.
-Reloads. Went smooth, no issues.

-Draws. Smooth, fast, consistent.

-Movements. Seemed fast. I think lightening up a bit and learning to run faster will help a ton still.

Bad?

-Position entry. Seemed to not do too good at this match what usually I do the best at. Mostly my footwork wasn't planted like I want to. Maybe I am getting down on myself for no reason because I tried entering on small steel at 10 yards but I feel like I am capable at that.
-Position exit. Needed too many make ups on steel with this.
-Steel. Y U SHOOT STEEL SOOO BAD.

Wyatt

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWgb5dBT_pA

Stage 1- Went good. The unloaded start went really well, I had one make up on steel, which luckily was pretty quick. Messed up my plan a bit, but it ended up working alright in the end. 

Stage 2- Messed up my reload which cost me a ton of time and HF. I dropped 2 C's on the same target, but overall the draw and splits were good.

Stage 3- Too many C's and D's. I decided to do a stage plan that saved me a standing reload, but dropped an extra delta and couple charlies. Most of my points dropped were from close targets that I just wasn't watching my sights on. I can fix this with some patience on the sights.

Stage 4- Good stage. I think I took like 3rd overall. My time was solid, I think I could've taken the middle targets on the move better though. Also I had a slight trigger freeze which cost me time. I think my speed was good because of the short distances. I wanted to be able to shoot on the move while entering rather than having to start and stop fast and abrupt and not be able to flow as well.

Stage 5- Classifier. Sucked. too many make ups on steel.

Stage 6- Went good. Had a mike out of the first position. Again I decided to take a plan that saved me around 6 steps, and a standing reload, but it cost me a lot of points dropped. This cost me a lot of overall points, but in the end this stage was more for limited or open, they could go to the last position and shoot almost every target. When I shot it again in open I shaved 6 seconds, and won the overall time by a little over a second.

FWIW I like this match breakdown recent after the match. Keeps my mind on what happened, and I will be able to look back on it and digest what happened.

Wyatt

• 1 month later...

[url="http://s140.photobucket.com/user/Fowl-Kid/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-20%20at%2011.11.16%20PM_zps6gyu3ydv.png.html"][img]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r4/Fowl-Kid/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-20%20at%2011.11.16%20PM_zps6gyu3ydv.png[/img][/url]

I took my offseason for the last month and a half or so. Well needed, well used, well deserved.

Practiced for the first time in a while today in live fire. Both my dad and I's guns are long overdue for a re springing, and so we ordered those last night. Still need them to get here but that should be soon.

Started on the Ron Avery dot drill (best 75 rounds you can spend at the range). I have never really had the most solid fundamentals, and I decided a little over a month ago when I train this year I will spend the first hundred or so rounds at the beginning of a practice working on the dot drill, and a combination of distance shooting.

After this I moved to shooting 2 shots at a target at 15 yards. Just working on seeing the gun track, shot calling, trigger press etc.

Set up drill found in the video below, worked on shooting on the move on the 18 yard target, and the 7 yard target, then running to the next position and doing a distance change up. Really really really helpful drill for what I was not most confident in. I was telling my dad it seemed like there was 4-5 times at matches this year where I changed my stage plan because I bitched out from shooting on the move at 10 yards much less 15. I feel much better, and after about 3 runs I was running very consistently at AC on a 15 yard target. For shits and giggles I ran it shooting everything static, shaved about .5 hit factor by shooting on the move so definitely a consistent advantage. ( I ran both ways static and moving 3 times and averaged the hit factors)
Finally I worked on shooting a bill drill on the move at 18 yards. Really helpful to track my sights better while on the move. I think my worst was 4C 2A, best was 5A1C. The 4C's were grouped REALLY tight just about 3 inches to the right side of the target and that was my second run on the drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXvr4mBadS0

Wyatt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cA_pK3siIg

Went to practice shooting from left to right I figured I would record every run, and also record the time and points of every run. 

The good news is, my runs are very consistent. Having a standard deviation of about .5 on each way I ran the drill.

The first ten runs I ran it on the move from left to right, then did a position entry on the far target.

The next ten runs I ran it on the move left to right, then did a position entry on the easy target.

The result was a higher hit factor on the times I ran it far to near in the position entry, however a slower time by about a quarter of a second. On the 10 runs I did it close to far in the position entry I had on average 1 charlie more every run. Definitely interesting data that will help me break down stages.

There are still a few things I want to test on shooting on the move. Mainly backing up, and going forward while shooting on the move. Also a couple of small IPSC stages I have seen that I am going to build and run a few different ways to mess with hit factor.

Here is the hard data if anyone cares to view it.

[url=http://s140.photobucket.com/user/Fowl-Kid/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-24%20at%207.52.45%20PM_zps2vaqjju4.png.html]Screen%20Shot%202016-10-24%20at%207.52.4[/URL]

Wyatt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QipEjY3C3UA

Latest training. 

Decided I had enough of working on shooting on the move for a little while. Needed practice on leans and distance change up. 

Used a steel in the middle to shoot on the move to still work on my strengths.

Couple things I noticed:

1- I tended to get on average 1 C on each of the partials. I guess this is understandable and acceptable. They were about 10 yards and the no shoot was pretty intimidating. 

2- The thing that really pissed me off was the 1 shot pulled on either exiting or usually entering the position. I am gonna attack this in dry fire and fix this. Bullshit pulling C's on 5-7 yard targets.

3- Hit the steel about 85-90% of the time. I think I had 3 runs out of 22 or so that were an issue. 

4- Didn't run it right to left, although I think I will recreate this drill and do it again right to left. Really interesting drill that tested a ton.

5- Leans seemed to be really good. I pulled 1 no-shoot the whole day on the leaning target, and I called it immediately.

What to work on-

1- Exiting and entering a somewhat easy somewhat difficult target. I dunno. 5-7 yards should be burner distance but everything is tougher around a barricade and on the move.

Wyatt

Wyatt - It sounds like the open targets are about 5-7 yards @ 45* from the shooting position(s) and the partials are about 10 yards, along with the steel. Is that right?

I need to work on movement & entries as well and I like the drill you've setup.

Yes. 

Only difference is the 5-7 yard targets are about 50-60 degrees. Partials are at 90 degrees or in other words just whatever a tough lean would be for you.

Was a helpful drill for both my dad and I. I have set up similar things a few times, but it's a low round count and allows me to run it a lot of times a few different ways. IE right to left, left to right, close to far on the draw, far to close, etc.

I believe the video shows the drill pretty alright on the right hand side and the left hand side is just mirrored.

Wyatt

3 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

Would hitting the popper, between the barrels, on the move to the second position save any time? You'd slow down a little getting into position but eliminate a transition.

Yes! When I tested this exact thing I found a time saved of around a half-quarter of a second.

However, consistency wise I was unable to produce a consistent hit factor without make up shots, on a 12 yard mini popper on the move. Perhaps if my shooting on the move was better I could get better results, but from what I tested the result was shooting it the way I did went best.

The other issue we ran into was having a consistent foot placement while shooting on the move. Entering on the target to the left resulted in a very consistent foot placement, and ultimately better stance.

Edited by WJM

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on Barrier skills and Leans. Its tough, but my gun was actually working, and the hits weren't terrible. Changed my warm up to be 50 rounds, 10 rounds sighting the gun in every time I practice at 15 yards, and then 2 times of 20 alpha drills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7MI4NwXGxo&t=4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9HaMhaonpg

Wyatt

(I am keeping a lot more detailed range diary over on Doodie Project http://www.doodieproject.com/index.php?/topic/4596-becoming-a-deathstalker/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRh3a3XVwO4

Live Fire- Today I did probably my favorite static shooting drill. I have done this drill now 3 times, and I learn something new every time. 

In an attempt to gain better skills at moving my eyes to specific locations on open targets, I did this drill. The results were phenomenal. I was able to not only speed up my transitions, but also gain consistency in where my gun was going to go. 

However, I did have some issues. The biggest one I see from watching myself on film is that my knees aren't bent enough, and I am transitioning too much with my upper body. While my knees do slightly move with my upper body, its not enough to really do the desired effect, and the result is far from perfect.

Dry Fire- Worked on the Hopkins drill for about 15 minutes with my knees more bent and focusing on transitions the gun with my eyes and knees. Saw big improvements in being able to hustle my eyes to the next target, and still stop the gun there without really forcing it to stop. It seemed when I focused more on reducing the momentum the transitions were smoother. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE9-Ls4h7_8&t=119s

Notes- Fixed my gun to have a larger grip on the right side. Allows me to still be production legal for weight, but gives me a better grip on the left side of the gun.

Noticed that I have never ever ever shot close to 25k rounds in a year that are specifically for training. In a little over 20 days I have shot 3,028 rounds of focused shooting and I feel like I haven't wasted a single round. I am learning more than ever and seeing bigger gains than ever.

Wyatt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jRdtGp0C9k&t=18s

Good practice today. 

Live Fire- I probably made the drill a touch too difficult. Swinger was at 20 yards with an IPSC target, and we had a no shoot IPSC target with 1/4 of the A-Zone available at about 16 yards. Minis were at 15. Anyways, numbers aside it was a DAMN difficult drill to clean (no M's NS's D's). 

Good news is my steel work is really coming along. I found when I slowed down my draw just a small bit of a second, and got a really good sight picture on the first piece of steel the entire steel array goes excellent.

I also tried many different options to shoot this. Consistently I found the best method to be drawing to the mini poppers first. This gave a consistency on the steel array. I tried entering from a few steps away, and the result was the same. Now while I wouldn't want to leave on a small steel like that, entering for me is a good idea. Interesting to learn this, definitely worth the few hundred rounds spent today.

Ran the drill SHO, first couple runs were really solid, only a couple of make ups. Which, for this difficulty I am really happy with.

Dry Fire- Had to take guns apart and fix my grips so didn't dry fire.

Notes- Cleaned guns, fixed my grip so it isn't smooth, and hand checkered the left side grip. Doesn't look amazing, but is extremely functional.

Wyatt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=970YuzaNxKQ

Shot a local match yesterday. Shot really well minus the classifier. Pulled some shots that I didn't see, but I can fix that pretty easily. I think I may have just been a little lazy on the sights.

The following are direct quotes from my handwritten training journal.

Things I did well:

-Called shots well.

-Shot on the move well when I focused on getting low into position. Almost have to do my walk throughs retardedly low to the ground to achieve maximum performance.
-Splits were good with good hits.

-Shot lots of alphas with few charlies.

-124 A, 2B, 14C, 2D, 1NS, 2M.
-1NS, 2M on classifier.

Things I can work more on:

-Execute shooting on the move during a match better.

-Shooting 15-20 yard zebra targets at speed. (use Alpha only IPSC targets)

-Reloads while running forwards.

-5 yard transitions to open targets.

86% of Local Limited GM (goal was 90% blew it on classifier).

Drills to do:

-Reload while moving forward. (Drill 9)

-Ben hoser drill (transitions?) (Drill 10, Drill 8, Drill 11)
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb7hPmCqu5k&list=PL_jlYjc7R98Tv4Pd5obvkq688R4r-oO5y&index=74 something similar to this).
-Shooting on the move moving directly towards a target. (Drill 9)

-3-5 yard (between targets) target transitions. (Drill 10-5, 10-6, Drill 11)

-Distance change up to shooting on the move. (Drill 9)

Wyatt

Update:

Snowed about 6 inches. So I built about 3200 rounds or so the last few days. Haven't been able to live fire so thats infuriating. And they have a match going on in St. George so that idea is out for this weekend.

Dry Fire 11-28-2016

-Worked on reaction time to get a quicker draw. 
      -Fastest reaction time to hit buzzer = .26s

-Worked on static reloads, have to remember to tilt the gun on the specific angle for the Tanfoglio.

-Distance change up, when I get a good grip thats solid and use my eyes the distance is almost neglected at about that 7-15 I can dry fire them the same. Obviously splits change but interesting note from dry fire.

Dry Fire 11-29-2016

-Worked on getting reaction time quicker.
     -Fastest reaction time = .20s avg = .22s
    -Need to sharpen my focus to be on the start of the beep. Focus on it in dry fire so much that it becomes second nature in live fire.

-Still need to find a consistent spot for my arm during reloading and moving forward.

Dry Fire 11-30-2016

-Worked on moving reloads

-7/10 first mag flawless in a row
     -10/10 second mag flawless in a row
        -Crucial to get a consistent grip on the mag. Doesn't necessarily matter where the elbow is but the grip on the mag is crucial.

-Draws to strong hand are tough after 20 box jumps.

-Unloaded starts need a lot of work before perfected.

Wyatt

Dry Fire 12-1-2016

-Worked on about 40 reps of perfect magazine grip from my mag pouch. 1st and 2nd pouches.

-Reloads go nearly perfect now, with a good grip on the magazine. Every reload I messed up (I think 3-45 last night) was due to a shitty grip on the magazine. I still think getting a consistent grip every time on the magazine will help cut stage times down. I am now able to get the reload done within the first step usually (my old goal was getting a reload done within 2 steps of a position).

-Worked on box steps with a paintcan in each hand, afterwards did 20 pushups. I did this 4 sets and in between did reloads and draws. This kind of caused heart rate increase and hands slipping will help a ton considering at a match I have a low heart rate and dry hands.

- Need to be working out my forearms more. Its not that my grip isn't strong but I know I can be improving it. I need to be getting back to farmer carry and spring tension devices for my forearms. 

Wyatt

• 2 months later...