Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WJM's road to Master

WJM

Well today was fun!

I know that I have an IDPA match coming up, so I have been wanting to do some live fire to practice things like concealment, cover, the crap holster and mag pouches that I have, that type of thing.

Anyways! I figured if the accelerator was so helpful with USPSA I may as well as cover and concealment and loading from slidelock with the accelerator!

Needless to say I was very pleased with my speed on running this drill. My slide lock reload is pretty much the exact same as my speed reload, and my draw with concealment is obviously slightly slower but hey that isn't too much to fuss about. I was pulling most of my scores into the mid 6's, which I was happy with.

Ran some SHO WHO drills, and also ran some mozambiques. Ran my fastest mozambique to date, at a 1.33 seconds. Was pretty happy with that!

Anyways same old same old, doing dry fire every day (unless I do live fire), and thanks for reading!

WJM

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shot this USPSA match this Saturday! Felt mostly good with it! I ended up placing about 83% of a very high level GM at my local match, and took 15th overall behind a bunch of limited and open shooters.

Dropped way too many charlies. I am still experimenting with how many charlies it is acceptable to pull if I am booking faster but still it was an unreasonable amount.

Working more on getting out of and into positions. I am good once I get into the position but the portion of arriving there I am still having some slight issues with.

Thanks for reading,

Wyatt

This was a steel par time match from a couple weeks ago. I wanted some practice for the Berry's Steel Open in a couple months that I am hoping to place high at.

This match was a big learning curve to shooting steel and for whatever reason I am a lot better at shooting paper than I am at shooting steel.

I also shot an IDPA match. And well that didn't go so well. They just have so many damn rules and its just hard for me to transfer gears from one discipline to the other.

It was useful practice like always, but I can't run at the same speed, I have to stop while reloading, I have to ALWAYS be watching for cover and cover calls. Just BS like things that I don't particularly enjoy having to do.

I think I am going to stop even practicing very hard for IDPA just because to me it is a lot less fun than USPSA. Don't get me wrong I still will probably shoot all IDPA matches around me, but that will not be something I practice once a week like I normally was doing.

I put a 13lb recoil spring in my gun (it was backordered for a few weeks) from Taran Tactical and as usual I am in love with his products. I got the rest of my basepads so I now have 6 fully functional mags, with a new recoil spring. The last thing I want for my gun is a plug for the end of the gun and thats probably the littlest thing for me to worry about.

Did 2 practice sessions this week that were live fire. College is starting to kick in but I am still trying to work with my pistol an hour a day while also working out an hour a day. Ive put on about 10 pounds of muscle mass and I can definitely tell that these arm workouts I have been doing have helped control the recoil more. I am also able to get into positions better from my leg workouts. I haven't done any grip strength things like Vogel does, but I do a lot of deadlift which helps a lot with grip strength.

Anyways thanks for reading,

Wyatt

Took a few days off of dry fire, (had some serious midterms that I needed to study for) but the last few days I have been popping practice sessions left and right.

Tonight I designed a mock stage for 12 rounds. Involved heavily in moving and shooting and reloading either while moving or from an awkward position.

Really really helped with letting my fiber settle more while walking forward and moving and shooting. I noticed that my reloads are consistently in the one second area, and everything is improving more.

The one thing I am NOT happy with is how I post up into a position. When I shoot a position often times I will end up having one foot planted and the other ready to push out of it, which leaves me off balance. I haven't had an issue with this EVER, however I am worried that on a 20 yard target this could become an issue.

We will see however from all my videos I have of myself I suspect it is nothing too serious.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

My dad and I did a live fire session today. Focused primarily on moving and shooting.

Used a drill from Ben Stoegers training to win! Just a movement drill with 4 targets and 10 yards.

Really helpful to learn what it feels like to shoot alphas at speed while laterally moving. Since this is one of my weaker areas I was glad to try this out and apply the dry fire I had worked on.

Ended up running them around a 5.1 or so, Stoeger runs them around 4.8 I believe or high 4's. Anyways I felt like I was doing this perfect or as near perfect as possible. Ran an average of a 1.09 second draw, splits were good, walking was good, dot was jumping around (too much), and it just felt good.

Decided to run an impromptu IDPA classifier. Ended up with a 91.64 time. Pulled way too many points on the second portion of it, but hey I felt better than before so I am happy!

Thanks for reading,

WJM

Live fire today after the week from hell. Sunday I studied for a Chemistry test I had on Tuesday. Monday I had my dog that I had for 7 years die.

Anyways it was a shit week.

Today I did a live fire session, worked primarily on distance change up from Stoeger! Was really really helpful. I was consistently getting it under 2 seconds, had .3 splits to the far steel, and .2 second split from close target to close target.

Anyways, my fastest was a 1.7 ish, and my average was close to a 1.9 ish.

Match tomorrow so I should have some footage.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

Todays match! Ended up 3rd in Production. Got beat by a high level GM and another person who is a B class shooter but really should be a GM.

Anyways, I had a few mental errors that I wasn't able to gain back. A couple times my stage plans were very challenging and built so that if I didn't go 1 for 1, I would have to do a reload and that messed up my plan again. I need to work on stage planning to leave myself a round or two for fudge factor.

I have another match next Saturday its a Man Vs Man match basically a steel match one versus one.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

• 2 weeks later...

My dad shooting the Man Vs Man match at our local club. Crushing it!

Myself shooting the match. I ended up placing 5th overall. Had a couple bad stages that I didn't gain any points from but otherwise it was a good match for me. Really helped with the draw.

Didn't want to post about it until it was a for sure deal but new gun is on the way! It will arrive at my FFL any minute and dry fire with it begins tonight. I bought a Tanfoglio Stock 2 that my dad and I will be sharing for the forseeable future. I haven't shot a double action single action gun in competition ever so this will be a challenge. But nothing that dry fire can't cure.

I will post pictures once I get it, and maybe video of dry fire. Hoping that it goes well and I can get it to be normal before my next match which is this upcoming Saturday.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

OH MY GOODNESS.

This gun is flawless. I probably will never willingly shoot a Glock again. (Besides IDPA of course).

The advantages of this gun are so many that I can't even list them all. Its weight is perfect, checkering on the grip, perfect. Little to no recoil out of this .40 S&W and I honestly love this.

I did some group shooting last night. 25 yards was doing a 2.5 inch group freestyle, and that was after shooting less than 100 rounds through the gun. I really am truly impressed with this gun. Basepads from Henning and grips from EG are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I have a match this weekend. Really excited to see if I can somewhat master this gun in a few days but we will see.

Dry fire is nice. I can now draw this gun in about .8 seconds, reload in around 1 second. Around the same as the glock. With basepads on this gun it will smooth the reloads to probably less than 1 second.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

Well I was going to make a match video but I don't know if I want that video to be public because it went so bad.

I made some massive mental errors that honestly I couldn't recover from. The gun however was flawless!

Little to no recoil, it reloads smooth and is coming along. I have dry fired with it for about 12 hours since last week when I got it, and the reloads are approaching .9 seconds or so, and the draw is pretty consistent at .8 seconds. Transitions are a little harder to learn. I am having issues overswinging it when I do wide wide transitions, so I have begun doing a thing Eric Grauffel does which is to bring the gun close and then push it back out. That is slower (not by a ton) but it is much more consistent.

Movement is still probably my biggest issue so thats what I have focused on in dry fire. I started the hardcore training thing as outlined in Stoegers dry fire book, and I am in my 3rd day of it. So far it is helping especially with a new gun.

Tried out my Glock last night for an upcoming IDPA classifier, wow it is too light. Hoping to make master on this classifier, then I will probably hang up the G34 for a very long time. Just don't have a true desire to shoot with this gun and would rather shoot the Tanfo.

Thanks,

WJM

Well I got sick! Yay for me!

Been sick for about a week, it has not only cut into my shooting practice but even worse my school work. Oh well though pick yourself up. I did a live fire practice yesterday with the IDPA classifier. Still had bullets left over from a steel match where we loaded them up to beyond Minor Power factor to make sure the steel was down, anyways long story short they kicked like a mule. The gun was all over the place and I just couldn't keep a hold of it. It could be because I am used to the Tanfoglio but I really doubt it. Seemed way more powerful than I have ever felt before. Don't know what happened but anyways I will be loading them down to Minor minor for the next IDPA classifier. Ran the classifier with these devil rounds in a 94 second run. Should be a mid 80's with lighter bullets methinks.

I have been running some more complex dry fire drills with the Tanfo. Such as moving into positions, hard hard transitions, pick ups on tables, kneeling postitions, prone things like that that I am learning are in matches but I just haven't really practiced much of. I still need to practice low ports. It seems like the club matches I shoot around here all the ports are made for midgets and I literally have to get on my knees to get a good sight picture. Just isn't super comfortable but I always like to practice things I am not comfortable with until I am really comfortable with them.

Also have practiced loaded table starts such as sitting in a chair or having the gun on the table. I have seen that now at 5 matches so far and I want to practice it. I am getting more match experience but I still consider myself a noob. Certain days I literally am on fire and can beat the GM's around here, others I failboat and end up shooting D class. Just need to shoot more matches and gain some experience with match pressure.

Oh! Did a live fire drill where I drew onto a 15 yard target, engaged a 20 yarder and then on the move had to shoot partials at 12. It was very difficult because after I shot the two on the move, had to reload get into position and take a headshot only at 12. I purposely made this more difficult than I think any match would make so I would be ready for it. My threshold to shoot on the move is around 8-10 yards, pushing it past that was difficult but I learned where my faults were and then that night I went and fixxed those in dry fire. Was really really helpful.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

IMG_6106_zpsok8vrgqo.jpg

My mags weren't falling free so I was advised to break the edge of the breach corner and then polish the rail. Solved the issue of the mags and the gun runs flawless.

IMG_6105_zpsqoplmdnd.jpg

IMG_6103_zpsrsnpfqal.jpg

Next to the old gat. Love this new gun almost don't want to shoot the old one.

IMG_6090_zpswyjdmdmh.jpg

WJM

Been a little while since I wrote here.

I have been keeping a log/diary of my own to document all of my dry fire drills and live fire drills, along with how many different drills I can do. I don't believe in doing a certain number of reps. Generally I just do a drill until I hit the par time 4-7 times consistently, then do another drill. For me that is enough to get it engrained into my brain and well I feel like any times past that you are just wasting your time.

I shot a 90.90 classifier for IDPA the other day. Was 27 points down on the third stage alone. Wasn't a good day but still made the time so that was somewhat of a moot point.

Dry fire is coming along, I have had this gun for exactly two weeks, have shot 2250 rounds through it, and have dry fired it for almost 30 hours. I am starting to really feel comfortable with it, reloads are clocking in live fire around 1.1-1.3 which is very fine for me, and draws are around 1 second for any target less than 15 yards. Running accelerators in the mid 6's sometimes low and I had a couple 5.80's.

Fastest El Prez to date was a 4.75 with 2 charlies. Can make up the time in the reload mostly, my turn draw was a 1.06 so that is coming along.

WJM

Did 59 minutes of dry fire this morning, will probably do a night session as well.

Primarily worked on reloads (static not moving just working the muscle memory sometimes blindfolded sometimes normal) distance changeup which has always been a weakness of mine, barricades and the 90 degree transition.

The 90 degree transition is by far the hardest thing for me. I over swing the gun.. BAD. I have found the best way to fix this is by bringing the gun into my body, and then pushing it out. It actually is a hair faster than swinging it for me, and when I am using a 4 pound gun with all the ammo, it makes more sense to not have a chance to over swing it as much. At least thats what makes the most sense to me. I will try it out in a match this weekend but I believe I am accurate in this assumption.

Learned that little trick from a video someone posted on youtube after they took an Eric Grauffel class and how he teaches.

I love the gun, just takes some getting used to. We got some more BBI's today in the mail so I am loading up a couple thousand for the next few weeks. I probably won't shoot the Tanfo much after Saturday because I want to dry fire with my Glock for an IDPA match. Transferring guns for me takes a couple days for me to be as good with one as I am with the other so my plan is to dry fire the Glock for the IDPA classifier, cover, and concealment. Probably will do that starting Saturday night maybe Sunday.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

Edited by WJM

Shot a USPSA match this last weekend. Had a bunch of really solid stages, I would win one, then the next production guy would win one buy .1 HF, then i would lose by .1 HF all day. Had one massive failure on a stage and ended up in 4th place for production for the stage and 32 overall. Messed up my day but hey I went to the next stage had a stage win and so I guess my match maturity is improving a lot.

I can tell that my dry fire is paying off along with my working out. My muscles are getting more toned and defined and I can definitely tell that it is aiding in my ability to control the recoil on the gun. My draws in most of the videos are right on at 1 second, and my unloaded start was a 2.02 (I was pretty excited about this).

Really loving this gun, it doesn't recoil and I shot somewhere around 75% alphas.

Shot a 86 percent on Paper Poppers. Should've been higher but those damned make up shots killed me.

Thanks for reading and for any constructive criticism,

WJM

Have been away from the dry fire for 2 days. Got pnemonia or the flu. Some nasty bug and well I have been sick as a dog. Still as sick as I have been I still have been trying to do live fire and I did last night.

I was able to try out 2 stages that we shot last saturday for practice. In dry fire the night before I really practiced on moving and shooting because in my videos when I analyzed myself I noted that my center of gravity was too high causing the sights to bounce around too much at the 12 yard distance. This to me is unacceptable. In dry fire I was able to bring my center of gravity a lot lower and I was able to transfer this to live fire and now I can pretty consistently hit Alphas at 15 or so yards while moving forward. Its a similar process I have heard with lateral movements but I have yet to see much improvement in lateral (still can only shoot around 10 yards with alphas).

I am sure that will come in dry fire but its been hard so far.

Anyways I went and practiced the stages and on the one stage I was able to beat my hit factor by around 1.5 hit factor (which is huge for me) by cutting down a second or so, and getting my hits and making up all my charlies. Just had more focus and was able to focus on the plan more.

One of my mentors told me that my stage planning needs some serious work. Oftentimes I will get into a position I think is good only to shuffle a bit and waste precious time getting into a better position. I am hoping I will learn this more the more matches I end up shooting because as of right now I can't really think of any way to dry fire this out.

My hands are starting to get calluses where I have the most contact with the gun so that is a good sign in my opinion. So far I love the Tanfo. At the beginning the double action was a pain in the ass to get used to, but now I am getting better with it. Last week I practiced the two at 25 drill a lot and I really enjoyed that. Usually I did 6 strings of it to save myself time to not paste every time. I had an average time of 2.1 seconds and I noticed that when my splits were just .10 seconds longer in time I would have that alpha every time. When I switched it up and made my time closer to 1.8 seconds I would end up with a delta. Really interesting experience.

Have a classifier match in April that I will be shooting. Hoping to run a few M or GM classifiers and hopefully classify as a Master. I think roughly thats where I am running. I need to work on transitions so I will probably work out of dry fire training and do Widening Transitions and the Hopkins drill.

Anyways I am done rambling, love the gun movement drills are coming along.

Thanks,

WJM

OH! Also I need to preface. After much thinking I will no longer be shooting IDPA as of right now. I have practiced the IDPA classifier, have shot under master time 6 times now, but have no desire to shoot it. I sat down and listed why I wanted to shoot IDPA and couldn't come up with a single reason. I can't shoot my Tanfo unless I shoot NFC plus I would rather spend the money that would be required to pay for a yearly membership to go to another match for USPSA or pay my USPSA membership.

Edit again, here are my photos from the last month or so.

Accelerator

IMG_4140_zpsgfwjind1.jpeg

Tanfo Pre Polish

IMG_0680_zpscofiukv6.jpeg

Tanfo Plunger Pre Polish

IMG_0717_zpsz0s5c1l7.jpeg

Tanfo Mid Polish (Thanks Charlee and others! Will take final pic soon)

IMG_2021_zpsbnk8g6m4.jpeg

Typical dry fire for a week. Doesn't include my times but usually I use the goal times and then I do that for an hour and a half each day.

IMG_7230_zpsb8ldeer4.jpeg

Edited by WJM

Frustrating week.

Been sick all week so I have only been able to dry fire once twice this week (two days off) and live fire once.

Tonight in dry fire I was still sick but still wanted to try it.

Im frustrated. I wasn't able to get a single reload done in 1 second. I am around a second I just cant figure out why I am slower with this gun. It almost seems like steel mags are just harder to go into the gun. Can almost hear it scrape the edges as it goes in. Anyone have any advice in this? its just frustrating the hell out of me.

Have had to gunsmith my gun a bit. Was having a couple issues with slide lock reloads so we will see how that ends up going.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

Match this most recent weekend and I learned a ton! Had a bad match but to me the important thing was learning a ton.

I have been self diagnosing my videos, but I am lucky I have 2-4 people who also help me diagnose my problems and how to get better. I can feel myself still rapidly increasing how fast I am going and all of that all while doing school. I know that once school lets out for the summer I will be able to focus a lot more and wont have to worry as much on school and everything else in my life. Time devoted completely to shooting.

I learned that I am moving from position to position really slow. To solve this I am going to start doing ladders and sprints at the gym, also working on more cardio. The muscle building in my forearms and biceps and triceps is paying off for recoil control but now I need to start working on other things. Calve workouts have also helped a lot exploding out of positions. I seem to move out of and into the position really well, I just am slow from position to position.

I am getting way more accurate! We had a partial at this match that was at 40 yards. I was able to pull my first shot as an Alpha and I called my second a close charlie or maybe a delta, anyways I put another downrange. My alphas were about 2 inches apart, and my charlie was 2 inches out of the Alpha Zone. Really really proud and happy with that. Having confidence in my gun is an amazing thing. Before I would've put 4 shots into that target (Which would've sucked because it was a no shoot) but now I just feel lots better.

I need to work on slide lock reloads. I am used to my Glock where I can slam the mag home and not worry about it. With this gun the slide will get caught resulting in a "failure" when really its just my dumbass not knowing how to properly reload. I bet I lost 6 seconds per stage because of this. It sucked but I learned my lesson and dry fired out the issues tonight or so I hope I did.

Tonight in dry fire I practiced my reloads from slide lock and regular speed reloads. In USPSA production I have learned my plan rarely goes perfect and slide lock reloads will just sometimes happen. No sense in being scared of them just get used to them. I was doing the reloads drill from Ben Stoegers Dry Fire book in around 4.6 seconds, and then did a couple of distance draws (50 yards or so) to just practice a fast and very smooth draw.

Probably will hit the gym tomorrow for some weights and agility, a lot of the agility will come with losing 15 pounds or so, but its hard to really focus on my diet when I am at school 10 hours or more a day.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

Shot a USPSA match this last weekend with the Tanfo. Polished up the mags a bit and the gun performed flawlessly.

The mag base pads however did not. On one stage alone it cost me over 10 seconds (looked at it on the Max Michel shot timer app). Cost me 1.3 hf points but thats no big deal its a club level match.

I am working on taking all matches more seriously, but I know that I am relatively new to this gun and quite frankly it will take a little time to learn how to adjust to everything about this gun.

Ended up placing second in Production 95% of the next guy, and 13th overall.

Shot the classifier 99-42 Fast and Furious, ended up with a 80 percent on it! Not bad, I am slowly stacking up the A classifiers. That is 4 in a row now that are 80% or higher. I am hoping for M class by the end of an upcoming classifier match, if not low GM. I know that I am shooting at roughly the mid M level, just need a few more things of movement to help me move up.

I have been practicing transitions in dry fire and they are turning out well in live fire. On the shot timer app they are averaging around .35 seconds, which is about .15 seconds from what they used to be. The match I shot had lots of partials and no shoots, which meant my transitions would be slower naturally but thats ok I know that they are improving.

One thing I need to work on a lot is moving and reloading. I can move and shoot really well but its the concept of moving and reloading and doing both extremely fast. I was watching a video from Yong Lee and he seemed to run really fast, drop mag while running, and grab fresh mag, but he didn't insert it til he was very near the position. Has anyone noticed this as well? I figured it may help me by forcing me to not focus on two things at once instead of running really fast THEN doing the reload really fast.

Dunno that seemed like an interesting concept.. If anyone has any experience in this it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

This week has been a little slower. My dad has been at work so he took the gun to dry fire which means I haven't been able to practice at all live fire or dry fire. Luckily I have still been able to work out.

Monday I did a hardcore Leg Day, Tuesday I did a bicep tricep and forearm workout. I figured I wanted to do an arm day a few days before a big match (when my arms are sore I don't move as fast so..). I am primarily into weight lifting more than agility, but I may start incorporating agility and crossfit into my workouts (as much as some lifting buddies of mine will beat me up for for just saying I want to crossfit).

I have been watching a lot of videos on different techniques, still want to try the reload near the end of the movement but we will see as far as that goes. I am shooting the Berry's Steel Open match this weekend, and it will be my first "major" match. (More major than a local match). Luckily it is all steel which is amazingly fun, unfortunately the prize table is only for top 20 overall, which makes me think that really any production shooter that places in the top 20 is on luck alone.

No matter there is no cadillac being given away so its all good.

Also as far as classifiers goes I believe I now have 4 classifiers over 80% which means I am rearing up near master. I think I am mainly losing time to GM's on stages in malfunctions and slight time position to position. Malfunctions should be good to go now, which means to me once I remove some of the low hanging fruit of movement I should be within 2 percent of a local high level GM. (Right now I have been sitting about ~10 percent or so). I don't have some strange fascination with being a GM, I just feel like I am already shooting somewhat mid master class to upper master class, and I would like to be classified as a GM near August for Utah's state Championship.

WJM

Before I truly polished my plunger for the Tanfo it looked like this,

IMG_0717_zpsz0s5c1l7.jpeg

Then this

IMG_2021_zpsbnk8g6m4.jpeg

Then finally I ended the polish with being able to see my reflection with some strong lube to hold a smooth action to this.

CB0FF1B5-7A3A-4B01-B27F-56C105D7ABFB_zps

Now it pulls at around 2 pounds for single and is smooth all the way through. I don't notice any stacking any longer, but maybe it is happening and I am just used to it now.

Thanks,

WJM

Got home from my first non-local club match and I had a blast! I shot the Berry's Steel Open match! Shot it in production, which involved a ton of reloads that needed to be done on the spot.

The gun shot great. Had 3 malfunctions that were pretty minor, one that was a major one that cost me a few places overall, but hey thats what happens and I should've cleared it faster.

I shot some steel challenge, and I am better at it with a glock. Can't really figure out why I would be better with my Glock, but it probably has to do with it being lighter and easier to swing.

There wasn't a lot of chances to really shoot fast at this match, so it was hard to do what I am normally really good at (shredding), but still I was able to place 3rd on a stage behind Matt Hopkins and Brian Nelson that involved weak hand and strong hand shooting. I am really happy with how dry fire regarding weak hand and strong hand shooting has improved my shooting.

I ended up placing 7th out of 24 in Production. Placed around 77% of Matt Hopkins who won Production (congrats and awesome shooting)! I was really happy with my improvements considering last year at this time I was shooting my first ever match and my first ever pistol.

One thing that I am still extremely slow at is from position to position. Not necessarily exiting the position or entering the position, its just time lost from position to position. I am thinking of shooting limited minor with my Glock 34 and some new basepads just to focus more on the shooting and moving aspect rather than having to always think of reloading. I don't think I will do this for more than a match or two, and I probably will not end up dry firing with my Glock a whole lot, but the Tanfo will still be my primary weapon used.

I have a classifier match this weekend. I probably will focus on reloads and draws. Not really much to classifiers other than Reloads and draws, so makes sense to me to practice those.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

Match footage from two weekends ago! Ended up with a pretty decent match. Malfunctions cost me a lot of time but I flat out got out shot.

I was happy with the 40 yard target in the Video. 2 alphas almost touching at 40 yards!

Overall after changing the base pads I am very happy with this gun! Very smooth and supremely accurate.

Thanks for reading,

WJM