Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody want a looser 9x19?

shred

If anybody is interested in a 9x19 gauge that is looser than our standard spec gauges (closer to the top of the SAAMI spec than the bottom), let me know. Do you shoot a Glock or something with a cavernous chamber? Do all your 'rejects' from the regular gauge fit and fire fine in your barrel?

Yes I am curious about this...

specifically was curious about the black version.. It seems pretty tight.. I try to use as little to no crimp as possible since I use plated bullets.. But the hundo black gauge doesn't fit those rounds but they chamber just fine in my accushadow.. I should actually say they do fit the hundo but the don't drop right in.. I have to gently press them down then they will show flush.. Not sure if I should be concerned, or maybe I just suck at loading. But I figure they were all possibilities. Especially the suck factor.. I tired to measure the average case rim multiple it by 2 then add the bullet diameter then add together to get exactly no crimp and adjust half turn more for variances between brass. But it still won't fit the gauge but fits the barrel no problem. I read the thread on how your anodizing is top notch and I have no concerns there.. so perhaps a looser version would work better for me?

Gun is (CZ SP-01 Accushadow, probably doesn't make a difference so I will just throw it out there anyways)

Long story short is if I do get it to drop in freely then I have a fat crimp ring around the bullet when I pull it, and my understanding is you typically want to avoid overcrimping on the plated bullets?

Or Perhaps I have an old version of the hundo I have heard people say that too?

P.S. Love the product :cheers: Just trying to figure out what Im doing wrong

Edited by Jukez

they chamber fine in my accushadow..

Then, you are reloading properly.

I just use my chamber to check whether they'll fit my chamber. :cheers:

And you spend a lot of time chamber checking, or you don't box your ammo. I use a 100 round gauge that is a bit tighter than my chamber and spend a lot less time checking and boxing. I know that anything that fits in the gauge will run 100%, the ammo that doesn't fit, about 1/2 of 1%, gets shot in practice.

they chamber fine in my accushadow..

I just use my chamber to check whether they'll fit my chamber. :cheers:

And you spend a lot of time chamber checking, or you don't box your ammo.

I box my ammo, and find very few that won't chamber in my TruBor.

But, I chamber check only ammo I use for matches - doesn't take

that much time to check 150 rounds.

Most of my problem is with high primers (SDB) - I pick them out

and use them for practice - and 90% of them work perfectly, anyway. :cheers:

I think the point I am trying to make is, yes I would be interested in a looser one.. One because I don't want to chamber check 400-800 rounds (shootings majors and 3 gun matches) one at a time.. F@#K that.. and 2 I want to be able to have a lighter crimp to increase the accuracy of my ammo as you won't to avoid over crimping, especially on plated ammo. Everything I read about plated ammo is you want to have a barely visible crimp ring if one at all (someone correct me if I am wrong here). And with the popularity of plated ammo on the rise... I think a looser gauge would make sense?

But also damn, that means I have to buy another $100 gauge, cause this one won't get used as long as I am using plated ammo. :eatdrink:

Edited by Jukez

You want to make sure the bullet diameter is .3555" or less all the way around (some crimp dies actually squeeze a 'bulge' of bullet out as they crimp, and some bullets aren't particularly round), and the very front of the case mouth is .380" or less to .381" a bit further back. These are easiest measured with a micrometer if you can get hold of one.

If both of those are true, ammo should fit into the regular 9x19 gauges. If your case mouth is bigger than .381" after crimping then a 9-XL gauge might be what you want. We'll look into making a test run in the near future.

Awesome.. Yea I can't get it to fit into my gauge unless it's .380 or less.. .381 fits... I just have to push the bullet into the gauge it doesn't freely drop.. Maybe I need to clean it Hahaha.. Thanks for the reply look forward to the new stuff

If anybody is interested in a 9x19 gauge that is looser than our standard spec gauges (closer to the top of the SAAMI spec than the bottom), let me know. Do you shoot a Glock or something with a cavernous chamber? Do all your 'rejects' from the regular gauge fit and fire fine in your barrel?

Yes please.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

We now have a few 9 "L" gauges.

The bullet bore isn't larger than the regular 9's, but the chamber area is about .002" larger than the regular 9. Still within SAAMI spec, but heading for the larger end. Contact sales@shockbottle.com for ordering info as these aren't a regular-production item.