Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Pistol - 2011

Right now I run a XDm 5.25 with all the fixins.

Have thought about a 2011. It's only for 3 gun, so I don't need to follow any esp rules on dust covers etc. It needs to be in 9 obviously....

The tactical 5.0 has my eye, but the marauder and eagle do too. Any others I should consider?

What 2011 will give me the best performance for the money

I think any of the offerings from Sti will serve you well. Depends on the look you want and how much you want To spend.

I have a short dust cover no rail with a lightened slide for 40 and 9. I don't like the front heavy long dust cover. Try to shoot as many as you can in different configurations before you buy. Ask local guys to try their guns. May help you make a decision.

I think any of the offerings from Sti will serve you well. Depends on the look you want and how much you want To spend.

I have a short dust cover no rail with a lightened slide for 40 and 9. I don't like the front heavy long dust cover. Try to shoot as many as you can in different configurations before you buy. Ask local guys to try their guns. May help you make a decision.

Honestly, best performance for the money will be keep using the XDm. Any 2011, even a factory standard config will run ~$2k and used ones are not much cheaper. When you look at all the facets of 3-gun and where you can gain/lose time that $2k could be better spent on a reliable and fast feeding shotgun and / or more accurate rifle / optic.

If you're good for shotgun and rifle and you think this will help you get to the next level, then consider what if any other games you shoot and how a 2011 might relate to switching back and forth. You might want one that handles similar to your other game guns. Otherwise GeorgeD offered good advice, try as many as you can and see what you like.

FYI: I've spent >$2 for a custom 9mm 1911 for IDPA ESP and I have a custom 40 cal 2011 in process that's running >$2500 for USPSA Lim. I'm not against spending big $$$ (for me) on a gun, but I'll keep using my M&P Pro 9mm (basically in stock config) for 3-gun. Why? Less to worry about when abandoning the pistol (saftey not on or getting bumped off and a DQ) or if I I have to go prone less concerned about getting dirty / messed up, etc.

Last spring I went down the same path (coming from a long time Glock shooter).

I wanted a 5" barrel, 9mm, and the ability to mount a light for low-light matches.

My two choices came down to the 5.0 Tactical and the Marauder.

After handling several STI 2011 guns (Marauder was not on any shelves at that time), I found I liked the heavier long dust cover, so I went with the Tactical 5.0.

I really like it. The stock trigger works better for me than the Glock did. I put in a 9# recoil spring and with 147gr -P ammo, recoil is almost nonexistant.

I spoke with STI about the Marauder (which they are advertising as "THE 3 Gun pistol"). It retails for about $500 more than the Tactical. When asked why, they said the upcharge was due to a special Black Nitride finish they are putting on the Marauder.

Edit: They said the Marauder was a bushing barrel set up, where the Tactical is a bushingless bull barrel.

Edited by GSonnen

Do you know why you want to change? Just because you want to, is a good enough reason, but I would not fool yourself into

thinking that the 2011 is going to up your game. That is what practice is for. $2000 in ammo and range time will get you further.

I was in the same boat about two years ago. I was on my way back from the 2013 TX multigun and rode back home next to one of the better shooters of the day. We chatted a little, he asked how I did, I was 25th for TO and then started talking about gear. At the time I was shooting an M&P, FN SLP and my AR, his comment was simple, "Look at what most of the best shooters use, there is a reason." It was not long after that I decided to order a STI. After much consideration I settled on the 5.0 tactical in 9mm. I added adjustable sights, a fiber front, mag well and short trigger. After I picked the gun up I transitioned from shooting USPSA production with the M&P to shooting limited with my STI .40 for commonality. Simply put I was amazed how well I shot the STI, its an easy gun to shoot. I could go on.... In all honesty I think that the STI does save me a very small amount of time when shooting splits but shooting small plates at distance is when it comes into its own, like at BRM fall 2013 match. I do try to dump the mag and clear the gun if and when possible as opposed to dumping the plastic pistol. My magazines are modified to hold open on the last rd as opposed to not on my limited gun.

I use an STI Edge for 3-Gun, but I did not buy it for 3-Gun. I bought it because, well, I wanted one, and the timing was forced by Maryland's new dumbass laws that went into effect last year that would make it harder to buy a handgun. So, I plunked down the money on a USPSA Limited/Lim-10 gun in .40S&W, then setup a second guide rod and recoil spring to swap in for minor PF to shoot 3-Gun.

I like it. Of course, it is a great pistol. I could also have just kept on shooting my 20-round P226 in 9mm for 3-Gun, too. :)

Edge, Eagle, Tactical, Maurader all in the same rough ballpark. I was after an Apeiro for a while until I started looking for a used custom on the forums or just ordering a build.

I'm also about to try the switch from polymer to a 2011. I have a custom on order but got the new RIA 2011 9mm tactical to tide me over which might prove itself to be a really great value.

Honestly, best performance for the money will be keep using the XDm. Any 2011, even a factory standard config will run ~$2k and used ones are not much cheaper. When you look at all the facets of 3-gun and where you can gain/lose time that $2k could be better spent on a reliable and fast feeding shotgun and / or more accurate rifle / optic.

If you're good for shotgun and rifle and you think this will help you get to the next level, then consider what if any other games you shoot and how a 2011 might relate to switching back and forth. You might want one that handles similar to your other game guns. Otherwise GeorgeD offered good advice, try as many as you can and see what you like.

FYI: I've spent >$2 for a custom 9mm 1911 for IDPA ESP and I have a custom 40 cal 2011 in process that's running >$2500 for USPSA Lim. I'm not against spending big $$$ (for me) on a gun, but I'll keep using my M&P Pro 9mm (basically in stock config) for 3-gun. Why? Less to worry about when abandoning the pistol (saftey not on or getting bumped off and a DQ) or if I I have to go prone less concerned about getting dirty / messed up, etc.

Good info. Take his FYI and replace M&P Pro 9mm with Glock 34 for me.

Totally agree with Pat too.

I made the switch this year from a full size M&P to a custom built 5.5 sight tracker. I had plans to buy a new M&P pro and do all the work to that myself but my friends talked me into having a gun built and im glad they did. For me, the double stack 1911 fits me better, and I have a lot more confidence shooting plates at further distances now and it would seem like I run this gun faster than my M&P.

Is it worth the money, sure, would it be worth to invest the money in practice, yes. Im not saying its a bad choice, im glad I bought mine and I will never turn back. But since I had it built before CMMG, I shot the hell out of it before I went to my first match to get used to the gun. It was a completely different animal and took a lot of trigger time to get the feeling and comfort level up to where I knew I would be able to run it at a national level match.

How do I get reliable 24rd 140mm mags on the STi platform?

Black magic?

With TTI bases and springs/followers I can get reliable 20-round mags for my .40 Edge. With the same setup on her 9mm, though, my g/f seems to have more mag/feeding issues. And places like Brazos don't seem to sell their tuned mags in 9mm, only .40S&W.

I'd still figure on the TTIs as the best bet for 23 round (don't know about 24) magazines, though.

20-22 rounds is usually more than enough for a mag and you will be changing mags on the move. Make sure you have a reliable set up as two extra rounds aren't worth the reliability. I run 21 rounds in my Glock mags and never had any problems.