VP9 Experience

mcracco

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/22/2014 at 3:38 AM, mcracco said:

Magazines: My 10 round mags load very smoothly and I can load the 10th round with no struggles. The dopey thing about these mags are the ports for viewing loaded rounds. There are holes labeled 4, 6, 8, and 10. That means for rounds 1-3 I have no visual indication as to qty loaded. For uneven rounds I have to apply logic; if nothing is showing in 8 but there is part of a round showing in 6 there must be 7 rounds loaded. Seriously? How about a port for every round like an M&P or Glock? This is not just a pet peeve, a stage called for 6 rounds and although it sure looked like 6 I had 7 loaded.

I usually count the rounds as I load them into the mags. This is especially crucial when the WSB calls for a specific round count.

FWIW, I was an M&P shooter and about a year ago I bought a VP9 to use for IDPA competition. After a brief trial of the VP9 I put it in the safe and went back to the M&P not willing to learn the VP9's quirks.

A year later I took the VP9 back out and spent some time actually training with it. In short, it took very little time to learn how to operate the paddle release. Only other issue was my thumb (LH) riding the slide release causing some failures to hold open but I fixed that with more training. As for the mags; I know when they are loaded with 10 and anything less I either count down or empty completely and count rounds loaded.

I bought a second VP9 (spare!) and only mods to either gun are TruGlo Pro sights. Triggers are a tad heavy but not worth messing with. Accuracy and fit in my hand is superb.

Frankly, I have a unique respect for the VP9 as it is 100% ambidextrous out of the box and requires zero dicking to make it usable. M&P's are great but that is after $150 in Apex parts, mag mods, etc.

Love the VP9!

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2016 at 11:58 PM, docscoutjr said:

I know SS guide rods are available for the VP9, wondering if anyone has any intel on lighter springs?

I think a 11-12lb spring would really help flatten it out.

I use a VP9 for USPSA Production and would like to try some lighter springs. Where can I find them? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I congratulate HK for providing what the consumer wants but I have 5 HK's with paddle releases (which I have no problem with) so I wouldn't buy a button model. Just hope they continue to sell both types in US and not try to convert me.