Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Goodbye Snipershide, Hello Scout?

lee blackman

Well the old snipershide forums that was a staple for information for long range precision shooters gone. You get redirected to Scout.com, which is where ALMOST everything got moved. Looks like they are working out the bugs, and its getting better daily. I think they could have made the transition a lot smoother, as a lot of people lost their usernames, and everyone kinda lost their built reputation behind their old names. Will this be a new start, or will it be the death of snipershide? Time will tell.

The biggest resource to the old snipershide wasn't the website itself but the shooters. My question is if they don't carry over to the new site, where are they going now?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to see people showing up at SniperCentral. This forum has been picking up people for the past year, some of whom left The Hide because of personality clashes. Have a look, you will find it a somewhat more restrained environment.

I never joined there but I did spend a lot of time lurking and learning for when my distant future 6.5Grendel build materializes and I get into practical precision rifle matches. I'll miss it.

I'm not sure you'll find a lot of people using any AR15 based caliber in practical rifle matches. Of course, practical rifle covers a lot of territory so there are no doubt many competitions I know nothing about.

I guess I don't know what matches are like way out yonder, but the few options I have within 3 hours drive are all shooting inside of 800yds, and at least one of them seems to have a small amount of closer range hosing targets. For the amount of money and dedication I'm hoping to put into it (not a whole lot, mostly just for fun) I think the 6.5 grendel will work for me.

For the amount of money and dedication I'm hoping to put into it (not a whole lot, mostly just for fun) I think the 6.5 grendel will work for me.

Shooting a Grendel at 800 may be a bit of a challenge with wind, but bolt guns get real expensive real fast. I have a second 5.56 upper that never gets used and I'm switching it to a Grendel this winter.

I've shot my 223 next to buddies with 338LM's at 880 yards with 20+ mph winds. No, my hit percentage wasn't great (somewhere around 20%) but when I missed the target by 9' it was no more a miss than their misses by 2'. I guess what I'm trying to say is that wind calls are of paramount importance even with a caliber that gives you more room for error. Not trying to be argumentative, I just want to stay inside the AR15 class of rifles and think the Grendel is the best in the family. Then I just gotta practice wind calls and make the best of what I got.

That's what I like to hear. My brothers got a Grendel on the way from JP, I'll be able to play with it and decide if the cartridge really is all I think it is. I'm pretty excited, anytime I want a gun I can't afford I talk my bro into getting one then I shoot it more than he does. Yeah, I'm a bad person.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=541&f=5546&t=13254971That is a link to the Hide where an explanation of what was going on is posted.

SH joined Scout to get a larger member base and get more into the mainstream. It's going to be a good thing for the Hide once the change over growing pains get passed. Some aren't happy and they might have due cause as the new site is different to the eye and some features have changed and they might have had to change their screen names if they were already taken on Scout. That said Frank is working with Scout to get the Hide back to where it was while still reaching a larger audience and getting more exposure for the sport.

Telling people to quit bitching and recreate the content is pretty lame.

I have read that there was an email notification prior to the change. I was the guy who didn't get the memo.

There was so much useful info on the old Hide that is now unavailable. I understand it will be readable in time, but I would have thought that was the most valuable asset of the existing site.

If I was a sponsor, I would be really hot.

I need to go sign up for SniperCentral.

There was so much useful info on the old Hide that is now unavailable. I understand it will be readable in time, but I would have thought that was the most valuable asset of the existing site.

It is readable here http://forum.snipershide.info/

I guess I didn't get the decoder ring either.

Thanks for the link. I can quit trying to search the new and improved site.