Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8 shots invalidating classifier scores?

dkizer

To start, I am a pretty solid C shooter in revolver. Over the past few months I have had two classifiers that were marked invalid by the USPSA classifier system. One was a 78% and the other a 100%. Neither was executed above my current skill level. Both were good runs (no mikes) but not phenomenal. One was CM 09-13 Table Stakes. My 4.14 hf scored a 78%. The second one was CM 09-04 Pucker Factor. My hf of 6.08 scored a 100%. Ha! My theory is that the bar was set on these prior to the 8 shot rule and both require a reload with a six shot. Therefore, without the reload, my scores are too high for my classification in comparison to the scores on file and are being marked "invalid". Is anyone else experiencing these issues? Also, if I'm shooting higher scores than I should be so is everyone else with an 8 shot until a top level shooter resets the 100% bar.

I'm not a revoilver shooter but this an interesting development. So, if the 100% score stood and at a later date a M/GM shot it would your score be revised down? If so would you classification be revised down as well if the resulting average went down low enough?

I recall rules about a too low score (>5% below your current class threshold) not counting but I don't recall rules about too high as not counting - but I could be worng.

There is also a parameter for a score of a 15 percent or more above your current class being disqualified as an invalid score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think they always catch those.

Some classifier hhfs have been reset with 8s, some haven't.

If you shoot a 100% and it stands, and later the HHF is raised, you do not lose the 100% score.

I don't think the 100% is really recorded. It was marked with an "A" noting it was invalid. I sent USPSA an email a couple of months ago to see if the score marked with an "A" might be reinstated in the future but I didn't get a reply. The way I read the description the "A" marking is (paraphrasing) it's too high (>15% above your class), score was improperly recorded, stage wasn't setup properly, etc. So, I think once it's marked invalid it stays invalid and would not be used for any scoring for me or anyone else. Just sayin'.

Thanks for the input.

Got a reply from USPSA and my hf was confirmed on CM 09-04 as 100%. If there was any doubt.......I guess this shows that a C shooter with an minor 8 shot, in certain situations, can out-shoot a much higher skilled shooter with a major 6 gun. However, it also shows there is some good logic applied in the classification system/process to help protect the reliability and competition. One of the online classifier calculators determined this hf was in the 69% range so the disclaimers are true. Apparently someone posted a score for this classifier to that site that was not validated by the USPSA and included in the classification system.

I hate to feel like the guys shooting six-shot major need to shop for six round neutral classifiers in order to remain competitive. Back when my work/life schedule allowed for more dry fire and reloading practice, I was rewarded with getting B Class. Now, I feel like there might be a little more than just hard work that can get in the way.

I hate to feel like the guys shooting six-shot major need to shop for six round neutral classifiers in order to remain competitive. Back when my work/life schedule allowed for more dry fire and reloading practice, I was rewarded with getting B Class. Now, I feel like there might be a little more than just hard work that can get in the way.

The new regime puts an additional burden on the six shot shooter - as if it wasn't hard enough already. But buying a new revolver and associated gear fixes that. Its only money.

The only good point is that it normalizes the revolver class with the rest of the classes so that 8 shot arrays or positions work the same for all (sorta). All who remain, that is - after the six shooters are relegated to other uses.

Edited by wheelie

• 3 weeks later...