Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just upgraded my SP01 .. is a new hammer worth it

selecw

I'll be using the gun for IDPA SSP, where it is replacing a Glock 34. I have the manual safety version, not the "Tactical".

So far, polishing and spring tweaks have got me to a 4.5lb DA and 3lb SA pull. Nice.

A fiber front sight is next, and is already ordered.

As the title says, will a new hammer and sear buy me much improvement? I lighter pull would be nice, but a shorter pull would be even better.

Thoughts?

The competition hammer from CZC (production class legal) is a HUGE improvement. Less creep and a smoother over all pull. May lighten the pull a little as well.

CGW also has their Race hammer, which is great but it is not production legal.

Oops, just saw you're doing IDPA. Not sure what the rules are for that.

-Jason

Kind of odd that you are down to a 4.5# DA and still at 3# SA. Mine is about 5.75/2.75, but i do have the Comp Hammer and Cajun Gun Works reduced power Trigger Return spring. I never went low on the main spring because i was using Winchester primers and needed the extra oomph.

If you have not put in the Cajun RP-TRS, do it. You will drop 1/2# pull on both and it's a better spring than stock.

You could also try the Short Reset Trigger mod from Cajun. I never did it, but guys have raved over it. Again, check your rules for IDPA, not sure if legal. For USPSA it is.

Kind of odd that you are down to a 4.5# DA and still at 3# SA.

It makes perfect sense if he still has the stock hammer. Tuning the DA pull requires a completely different approach than tuning the SA pull; a light SA is almost completely dependent on the length and angle of the hammer hooks. The SA shot breaks when the sear slips off the hammer hooks, but the DA shot breaks when the disco slips off the trigger bar so they're two separate mechanisms.

The hammer spring and trigger return springs have a huge effect on the DA pull weight, have little effect on the SA pull, the SA pull is all about the hammer.

IDPA Stock Service Pistol means I can't change the external appearance of the gun except for grips and sights. I could change the hammer (and sear) if it looks the same as the factory unit. Competition hammers and SRTs are out.

I have changed the trigger return spring.

I was looking at the Cajun Manual Production Hammer kits ....

In USPSA Production class you can't do external mods except if the part comes from a factory pistol of the same manufacturer. The CZcustom competition hammer is legal for USPSA production because it comes on the Shadow, which is a CZUB product in the eyes of USPSA.

Might be worth looking into for your case. Not too sure about all the IDPA rules. You could ask Stuart at CZC or David at CGW.

-Jason

The CZC Comp hammer does not come stock on the Shadow. The Shadow hammer is a different hammer. You also need to make sure that the hammer you're adding is going to work with a firing pin block. But do add a new hammer. They do wonderful things for the trigger. :-)

That is a CZ 75 Shadow and it does not appear to come with a comp hammer from the CZ Custom web page.

The only CZ pistol I have seen out of the box with a comp hammer is the CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Orange

Edited by BMaus

Kind of odd that you are down to a 4.5# DA and still at 3# SA.

It makes perfect sense if he still has the stock hammer. Tuning the DA pull requires a completely different approach than tuning the SA pull; a light SA is almost completely dependent on the length and angle of the hammer hooks. The SA shot breaks when the sear slips off the hammer hooks, but the DA shot breaks when the disco slips off the trigger bar so they're two separate mechanisms.

The hammer spring and trigger return springs have a huge effect on the DA pull weight, have little effect on the SA pull, the SA pull is all about the hammer.

Thank you! That is awesome information to know.

The CZC Comp hammer does not come stock on the Shadow. The Shadow hammer is a different hammer. You also need to make sure that the hammer you're adding is going to work with a firing pin block. But do add a new hammer. They do wonderful things for the trigger. :-)

It comes on some of the shadows, which is why the Competition hammer is legal in Production division.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see there was another page and I see that others have said this too haha.

-Jason

Edited by gdawgs56

• 4 months later...