Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Strippling in Production Division

Agent #1911

I posted this over at the Glock section but didnt get much response. I thought I'd ask here. per rulebook:

Nate_Rule.jpg

question is, since the picture is showing the left side of the pistol that has the slide release lever, I wonder if that area can be filled on the right side? here is the picture of my G26 for reference. I want to do the same to my G34 other than the obvious not legal undercut trigger guard and thumb area. the circled part is the area in question. thanks!

5866631d-10d6-4096-9cf2-e2645e59e779_zps

If you just want to stipple the "MADE IN AUSTRIA" area (that's already within the textured grip area anyway), I'd think that would be fine. If you wanted to carry the stippling forward of the rear of the trigger guard, then probably not.

I don't know about IPSC but or USPSA you can not "color outside the lines" -- on either side ...

I believe that is why the OP asked the question. The appendix illustration does not show both sides of the gun, only the left side of two different guns. How far forward can you go on the right side?

I think you should be allowed to stipple the entire frame you want. Having to color within the lines is a dumb rule and difficult to enforce. I think I'll send an email to DNROI asking for a change.

I think he'll tell you that's called Limited.

I don't know about IPSC but or USPSA you can not "color outside the lines" -- on either side ...

I believe that is why the OP asked the question. The appendix illustration does not show both sides of the gun, only the left side of two different guns. How far forward can you go on the right side?

Not trying to be clever but why would you think the dimensions would be different on the other side of the grip?

Appendix D4 16.1 of IPSC rule book

Modifications to them, other than minor detailing (the removal of burrs and/or adjustments unavoidably
required in order to fit replacement OFM parts or components), are prohibited. Other prohibited
modifications include those which facilitate faster reloading (e.g. flared, enlarged and/or add-on
magwells, etc.), changing the original color and/or finish of a handgun, and/or adding stripes or other embellishments.
So in IPSC you can NOT stipple your grips in Production, how ever you can apply tape to the area's marked in the picture the OP posted.
Edited by terrydoc

Not trying to be clever but why would you think the dimensions would be different on the other side of the grip?

On the left side of the pictured Glock the tape has been cut around the slide release. On the right side there is no such control. Can grip tape be applied as far forward as a vertical line parallel to the front strap?

I the RM and I were asked to rule on this, I would say no. The reason being that if I had a gun with full ambidextrous controls like an FN, the stippling or grip tape must not go past the rear of the slide release on both sides based as illustrated in the rulebook. So if I had a Glock that has only a single sided controls, it would have more grip surface than the FN with the ambidextrous controls causing a competitive advantage.

The reason the appendix doesn't show the other side is becuase you must do the same thing on both sides .... If you could do one thing for the left side and something else for the right side the rule book would have pictures of both sides to show you the difference ...

No ruling needed. There's the blanket statement in the Appendix D4 that says if something is not explicitly allowed, then it's not allowed.

<devils advocate>

D4.21.4 For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

Following that logic, since the rulebook only shows grip tape or stippling on the left side, then that means you aren't allowed to put grip tape or stippling on the right side. :)

</devils advocate>

Seriously, though, a reasonable person would expect the areas to be mirrored on both sides.

No ruling needed. There's the blanket statement in the Appendix D4 that says if something is not explicitly allowed, then it's not allowed.

<devils advocate>

D4.21.4 For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

Following that logic, since the rulebook only shows grip tape or stippling on the left side, then that means you aren't allowed to put grip tape or stippling on the right side. :)

</devils advocate>

Seriously, though, a reasonable person would expect the areas to be mirrored on both sides.

So I need to cut my tape to go around an imaginary slide release. OK.

When about 99% of the US practical shooting is done to USPSA rules, yeah, it's not too wrong to say that.

Anyway, for the OP, I don't really see what is to be gained by adding just that little bit extra of stippling. I am of the opinion, like some others, that the other side is not shown because the stippling pattern is supposed to be symmetrical.

Not sure why some are quoting IPSC. Looking at the OPs location is quite easy to figure out that IPSC rules do not apply.

Unless the OP is competing in the WS or IPSC Nats.

If that were so, I would imagine he would be quoting the IPSC rulebook instead of ours.

Not sure why some are quoting IPSC. Looking at the OPs location is quite easy to figure out that IPSC rules do not apply.

Unless the OP is competing in the WS or IPSC Nats.

If that were so, I would imagine he would be quoting the IPSC rulebook instead of ours.

Meh. Probably so, unless he couldn't find one. Or thought it was the same. Or whatever. Who cares.