Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 primer detonation

Good evening Benoverse.

The first thing I want to say is Thank God I was wearing eye protection. Did I get hit in the face? nope but I certainly could have.

After 31 years of reloading and reloading on the SAME RL1050 since 1995 I had a primer detonation that ignited the tube of primers. I am not sure how many actually went off as the tube is fused but it was at least 5. I have neat pictures I will post tomorrow after I get them off my Iphone. Tonight I am going to have a drink or 4.

Wear your safety glasses ladies and gentleman.

I have a buddy that lost an eye to something stupid not unlike reloading without safety glasses. . .

Retread

I was loading 45 ACP with what I thought was a bag of large primer only brass. What I found after dissassembling the press was that a piece of small primer brass made its way into the press.

The entire tube of primers detonated but the outer tube held and very little shrapnel got out of the press.

The primer rod was launched out of the machine but didn't stick in the ceiling like some reports I have seen.

Overall damage is VERY minor. I will have to replace the primer tube for sure and perhaps even the outer tube. But that is likely the end of it.

If I didn't hate small primer 45 brass before I certianly do now.

A couple of the more descriptive pics attached.

post-34558-0-65174900-1412422682_thumb.j

post-34558-0-93877600-1412422699_thumb.j

post-34558-0-09233100-1412423104_thumb.j

Wallyworld has a 5 pack of Hanes boxers for like $8 ...... I always keep a spare pack (just incase !)

LMAO.

Wondering how loud the pop was when it all get set off? I've gone through the .45 that I bought and sorted by headstamp and primer size. Curious as to know how the chain reaction starts. Do they pop off one at a time as the chain reaction goes from primer feed hole to primer feed hole and then into the tube?

Ok so the emberising side of the story. The primers all went off at once in one VERY loud pop. I fell off the stool I load on into the floor. My reloading room is on the second story of out home so it was pretty dramatic sound for my wife who was down stairs watching TV. After she yelled a few times about what the **** happened she admitted she thought I shot myself. Loud bang followed by my body hitting the floor I can see why she thought it could have happened that way.

I am headed back up to see what parts I have to order next week to get things back running again.

If you use only small primer brass and a large primer case slips in, the small primer will just fall out. :cheers:

Agreed and I do load the SPP brass in 45 as well. When you hit a LPP piece loading small primers it isn't that big of a deal.

In case anyone was wondering I ordered the replacement parts including a replacement primer shield and it came to just under 100$. Not sure if I could get away with reusing the shield.... No need to risk it for 55$ just

Not worth it. If the shield fails with 100 primers in it you have a fairly effective grenade.

Cheers.

I am going to sort my 45 brass again.

I was loading 45 ACP with what I thought was a bag of large primer only brass. What I found after dissassembling the press was that a piece of small primer brass made its way into the press.

The large swage rod should have caught that problem in station 3. It serves as a primer pocket probe to check for a spent primer and/or a small primer case when loading large primers. When the point of the large swage rod doesn't fit in the small primer pocket, it will not let the toolhead bottom out on the shellplate and you know then there is a problem you need to check out. When that happens, first thing I check is station 3.

Retread, I was wondering if you had the swaging rod in? Yeah, I know it's not necessary for 45 ACP. I wonder if it would have helped catch the SP brass? Perhaps it would have bent the shell plate?

I'm glad you shared your story. I've been loading on Dillon machines since the mid to late 80s, but I've only been on my S1050 for a little over two years. When I'm loading .223, I always have the swaging rod in, even though I know the cases I'm using have already been swaged. With my luck, I'd have an unswaged case and would set the primer off. I'm just kind of paranoid about having a drawer changing experience like you did!

Once again, thanks for sharing your experience and reinforcing wearing safety glasses!

ETA: I just read freakshow's post - I guess he kind of covered that! :rolleyes:

Edited by Henny

I'm one of those people who had the plastic primer follower rod twisted into a pigtail and stuck in the ceiling of my garage when my 1050 blew a bunch of primers. Glad you are OK and got replacement parts.

The large swage rod should have caught that problem in station 3. It serves as a primer pocket probe to check for a spent primer and/or a small primer case when loading large primers. When the point of the large swage rod doesn't fit in the small primer pocket, it will not let the toolhead bottom out on the shellplate and you know then there is a problem you need to check out. When that happens, first thing I check is station 3.

Yep - that has saved me more than once with LP .45. Glad you are OK.

Great idea and one I will implement immediately. Of course it is so simple I will now beat myself up for not thinking of it before the incident.

I'm one of those people who had the plastic primer follower rod twisted into a pigtail and stuck in the ceiling of my garage when my 1050 blew a bunch of primers. Glad you are OK and got replacement parts.

My primer following rod is steel. One of the old ones with a real weight on it. It can flying out to be sure but didn't make it to the ceiling.

That is very true I didn't post the entire parts order.

I put together a list and chatted with Bob in sales and IIRC here is the list

Primer tube(s)

Primer Shield

Primer cap (Blue and Red)

Primer cap nut (Top of the primer shield)

Some of the items that I did not order but were considered

Primer Slide After clean up it was fine.

Rubber for the primer slide - I had a bunch of heater hose already

Everything else was undamaged just dirty.

GT

Maybe it's just an optical illusion from the soot but it looks like the hole in the primer slide where the primer drops is oval shaped now, mostly toward the front. You'd be able to tell by putting a primer in it to see if there's a gap around it.

The rubber for the primer slide isn't really even needed, I've run presses without it just fine.

• 3 months later...