Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge 40S&W - Hammer Spring Weight?

RaylanGivens

What is the standard hammer spring weight for an new STI Edge 40S&W?

Several old BEnos threads say that a new STI Edge 40 comes with a 21 pound hammer spring. That sounds pretty heavy to me. Do new STI Edge 40's still come with a 21 pound hammer spring?

What hammer spring weight do most people use on an Edge that is going to shoot major in USPSA's Limited division? My plan is to shoot 180gr Bayou bullets.

I'm more familiar with DA/SA CZ Shadows where the main/hammer spring affects the trigger pull weight of the first double action shot. Seems like the hammer spring functions more closely with the guide rod spring in a single action 1911/2011.

I'm eliminating the STI recoil master setup. My plan is to decide on an initial hammer spring weight and then try several different guide rod springs to find a good match.

I can't help on the OEM spring weight but I think from discussions with other shooters many people end up with the ISMI 17 lb mainspring.

Honestly I feel like the firing pin stop radius is a better variable to tweak than the hammer spring weight on a 2011. You can change the feel of the gun quite a bit by changing where the stop contacts the hammer.

My Eagle and Trojan both had 19 pound mainsprings from factory. I swapped the Trojan to a 17pound and left the Eagle as a 19 pound as it felt and shot good with it. I use a 12 pound recoil spring in the Eagle and 13 pound in the Trojan with 173 PF 180 HAP loads.

My Eagle and Trojan both had 19 pound mainsprings from factory. I swapped the Trojan to a 17pound and left the Eagle as a 19 pound as it felt and shot good with it. I use a 12 pound recoil spring in the Eagle and 13 pound in the Trojan with 173 PF 180 HAP loads.

How did you determine that they both came with a 19 pound mainspring?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...