Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40s&w brass popping/jumping/flying out of Super 1050

I have a similar issue, except I'm not running an auto drive so the press just stops on the index stroke. If I'm really moving the case pops out but usually just stop and push the case into the shell plate. There isn't a catch with my case feed and I'm using a Dillon shellplate. I haven't looked into it any further than bump the shell back in and continue. I generally load any brass that comes my way and it might happen 5-6 times a thousand. It seems to be every now and then the shell just hangs up and doesn't fully enter the shell plate. The timing at that juncture is fairly important as the shell plate is moving, as your video shows. I did however just load 1200 new Remington brass and I don't think it happened but might of once. Sorry I can't be of more help, but it's not as frequent for me and I just stop.

SPRSkip:

I like your solution, to your problem. I have not had that problem myself. Maybe I don’t go fast enough to cause a problem.

But I am curious as to why Dillon designed the cam with the existing particular profile in the first place, if a profile like yours is superior. Dillon usually gets it right.

Since I have all the machine tools needed, I am tempted to make a new cam with a profile like yours.

---------

OK, I just tried my plunger like you did, fast and finger operated. My .223 case will catch like your .45. Then I tried to reproduce the catch operating the handle very quickly. It would catch as well. I was trying to make it catch, and it only happens when the unit is operated very quickly which I don’t think I ever do. Something to think about. Thanks for sharing.

(knock, knock, Dillon are you there?)

If the brass was processed in a roll sizer and the rim got mangled then it doesn't matter which shell plate is used. If you haven't, take a look at some of the ones that go flying out and see if they will slide in and out manually on the shellplate. If they dont, then check the rims on the cases.

DougC

Hey Doug. I did check the rim of each ejected case. All I could find, other than the damage done as a result of jam, was that they were all winchester brass with a rim just a hair taller than the other headstamps. I've never seen a rolled case up close before, but I don't think these were roll sized. They were purchased from a member of this forum advertised as once-fired and unprocessed.

We redesigned the case feed cam well over a year ago.

photo4.jpg

Alright, mine looks different, right?

photo3.jpg

Obviously there was a mod made to work with the forcht drive, but the contours of the cam are also different. Was the redesign made to address casefeed jams? I don't want to make too many changes at one time, but after watching SPRskips's video, I'm interested in ordering a new casefeed cam. I'm not even sure if the autodrive is going fast enough to necessitate a change though.

Edited by mellow13

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so here what I did for my problem:

Hi, finally found this via searching, I just bought 2x new 1050's, 1 in .40S&W and 1 in .45acp and took them home yesterday (1 SP, 1 LP)

My problem is 100% identical to the one in the video, its even same caliber

I have to load farly slow on the upstroke with .45acp, I did check the bolt on the slider for straightness, and also adjusted the shellplate down a bit, which helped, seems some brands are better than others with this, sadly the 2 brands that makes for 95% of my 45acp brass seems to be troublesome, any pointers? I tried the plate manually with fingers, and its 100% smooth! no binding, notching jerking,

The .40 machine seems to be much more forgiving for speed on the upstroke, also when doing 9mm in the .40S&W shellplate I can get away with anything, it will never bounce out.

With my 650's I can pretty much just let the handy go up at any speed and it works. so do I just have to go slower in middle of the stroke? I have the new cam follower

so here what I did for my problem:

Hi, finally found this via searching, I just bought 2x new 1050's, 1 in .40S&W and 1 in .45acp and took them home yesterday (1 SP, 1 LP)

My problem is 100% identical to the one in the video, its even same caliber

I have to load farly slow on the upstroke with .45acp, I did check the bolt on the slider for straightness, and also adjusted the shellplate down a bit, which helped, seems some brands are better than others with this, sadly the 2 brands that makes for 95% of my 45acp brass seems to be troublesome, any pointers? I tried the plate manually with fingers, and its 100% smooth! no binding, notching jerking,

The .40 machine seems to be much more forgiving for speed on the upstroke, also when doing 9mm in the .40S&W shellplate I can get away with anything, it will never bounce out.

With my 650's I can pretty much just let the handy go up at any speed and it works. so do I just have to go slower in middle of the stroke? I have the new cam follower

When you say you have the new cam follower do you mean the one from Dillon or the one from me in the video?