Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun primers

New4John

Did some searching and didn't find much on primers.

Looking at starting to reload 12ga.

I'm not a big fan of CCI primers for pistol reloading due to hardness, but the 209's have served me well for my muzzleloaders.

Is there a preferred SG primer among the reloaders?

Winchester and CCI seem to be the most readily available.

Edited by New4John

Hello: It will depend on what hulls you are loading. Different 209 primers are different sizes. For Euro hulls I am using Rio primers and Fiocchi depending on the hulls. For Gun Clubs and Winchester I use Winchester primers. Lots of great reloading info on Shotgun World. I am liking my 3/4oz loads but you will have to tighten up one choke size. Pattern to see what works for you for what game you are playing. Thanks, Eric

You should probably get a good reloading manual first. Shotgun reloading is different from metallic case reloading because each component is a variable in the pressure equation. That's why there are so many recipes for loads. Each brand and style of hull or wad has a different volume and shot charges are all measured by volume instead of weight. So the1 1/8 oz of shot thrown may actually weigh less or maybe you can't form a proper crimp. What fits in a Federal Gold Cup may not fit in a Federal paper base.

Also if you get a press with a resized, you will be money ahead.

I've never had any problems with either Remington, Winchester, or Federal primers.

Best primers for the $$ IMO are Cheddite. You do want to make sure you follow the recipes from the manuals. Don't sub wads/hulls/etc. there's no "working up" as in metallic loading. Pick the recipe and stick to it. Cheddite primers load the same as Winchester especially if you're not trying to run up to the max listed load. However, they are slightly oversized and once you load a hull with cheddites, all others will likely fit loose.

I use Winchester primers in Gun Club, AA, and Federal Hulls. I no longer mess around with euro hulls or euro shotgun primers.

3/4 ounce Claybuster 12 gauge wads are great for most target applications in Remington or Winchester hulls. I use them with 7/8 ounce load data with great results. I am a big user of Claybuster wads for 12, 20, and 28 gauge loads.

Good information, and I never would have thought. Thanks guys.

Shotshell reloading is a different animal.

If the data calls for "X Brand/Flavor" primer, do exactly that.

Only sub components if the manufacturer says it is ok.

Best primers for the $$ IMO are Cheddite. You do want to make sure you follow the recipes from the manuals. Don't sub wads/hulls/etc. there's no "working up" as in metallic loading. Pick the recipe and stick to it. Cheddite primers load the same as Winchester especially if you're not trying to run up to the max listed load. However, they are slightly oversized and once you load a hull with cheddites, all others will likely fit loose.

Edited by New4John

Shotshell primers differ in size by manufacturer. Winchester AA and Remington Premier hulls will typically take the larger euro primers (Cheddite) but the some of the cheaper domestic hulls (Remington Gun Club and Game loads in particular) will not.

If you are going to reload shotgun shells the first thing you want to do is pick a hull. All other components are selected based on the hull chosen. Shotshells are not like 9mm casings. Trying to load a mixed bag will not lead to good things.

I highly recommend the Remington Premier hulls for either the 12 or 20 gauge. For 28 gauge and 410 I prefer the AA.

• 3 months later...

Shotshell reloading is a different animal.

If the data calls for "X Brand/Flavor" primer, do exactly that.

Only sub components if the manufacturer says it is ok.

Do your LIFE a favor and pay very close attention to Tom's advice! Use ONLY recipes from the powder manufacturers. When you start substituting different powders, primers or wads behind a 3/4 - 1 1/8 ounce of lead shot a disaster can happen.

You can safely use 7/8oz data for 3/4oz loads by using the Claybuster 3/4oz wad and drop 3/4oz shot. Same column stack height and less pressure than the 7/8oz data. Pressure will not increase. Cheerio on top before crimping can help with dished crimps.

• 2 years later...

My only concern is it has collapsed crimp. Are there other issues on this besides aesthetics? How can I prevent or cure it technique wise? Im doing it in Lee Laod All 2. I dont intend to go to a MEC or Dillon anytime coz its going to be very expensive considering the cost of reloading shotshells vs factory. 

15 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Could try the Cheerio trick mentioned above.  Pretty low cost option.

Thanks for the response.

My problem is the lack of availability of reloading materials here in Ph. Theres not much options to work on so Im trying to look for techniques if any. Besides Lee Load All is pita to change bushings now and then.

I experimented on altering the pressure in pushing the wad in and in crimping and noted some changes in the crimp. Lessening the pressure in both stages just up to initial light resistance made the collapse a bit less. But I dont know if this is the correct way. 

Also, does a collapsed crimp adversely affect the performance of the shots downrange?

On 1/12/2015 at 10:31 PM, Pat Miles said:

Do your LIFE a favor and pay very close attention to Tom's advice! Use ONLY recipes from the powder manufacturers. When you start substituting different powders, primers or wads behind a 3/4 - 1 1/8 ounce of lead shot a disaster can happen.

Another vote for this. Pick a load and use what the recipe says or you could be very sorry.