Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

Jmike, from the link please read it again.

Not sayin I'm right but as I own the mags for this pistol and the basepad you linked I can tell you they do not fit.

The plus 2 adapter adds 2 extra rounds of capacity to the Mec-Gar magazines listed below

Beretta 92FS 18 round 9mm magazines anti-friction coating

Beretta 96 13 round .40 S&W anti-friction coating
CZ 75 17 round 9mm anti-friction coating
CZ 75 12 round .40 S&W anti-friction coating
Taurus PT 92-99 18 round 9mm anti-friction coating
Taurus PT 100/101 13 round .40 S&W anti-friction coating
Sig P226 18 round 9mm anti-friction coating
Sig P226 13 round .40 S&W anti-friction coating

I have also had customers use these on the S&W M&P 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig magazines. These are not really intended for that application but they work fine. I have had some customers try it and come back for more.
They can also be used on the CZSP01 18 round factory magazines. When used on the CZSP01 18 round magazine you end up with a 20 round extended magazine.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any word on if dawsons para basepads will fit he mecgear mags or should i just buy dawson 140mm sti 9mm mags for it

dhunt-if you have the 9mm you can measure the mag body

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000060-1388517801

the mags i have (.22tcm/9mm and mecgar from greg cote) are too short. I also have some preban 20rounders- too short and actually too wide.

I'll post what idid to get the STI mags to fit later

I bought one of those 22 TCM's for use in IDPA. I wanted the 51679, but the full size dust cover is a no go, from my reading of the rules. My 9mm barrel doesn't move when locked up. I've already changed my front sight to a Dawson's fiber, 0.225 height.

The thing is pretty accurate, but I still have a lot of practicing to do with it, coming from my XDM 4.5. The balance is a lot different, but it seems a little more forgiving of a "paniced" trigger pull (my own head games are my worse enemy in this sport...lol). I also like pulling it straight back, rather than at an angle and also shoot a PARA Expert, so want to train for one type of pistol.

I use a Bladetech full size 1911 holster. The mag pouches weren't as available around here, but I found an H&K doublestack that works well enough.

I changed the spring to 10 lbs, as someone suggested, but haven't played with it enough to verify it's any better. Any other suggestions for the spring?

One thing I would like is a different grip. I'm on the edge of what is comfortable in my hand, so I don't want to get anything thicker.

Has anyone tried the Powder River Precision grip tape without the installed grips?

Any other options, other than the VZ grips from Armscor?

Has anyone tried it with a .38 super barrel? It should work, especially since it uses the same magazines...might have to change the extractor, but maybe not....

One more thing. Any other options for the magazine baseplate? I don't know if that baseplate will get bent when it hits a concrete floor.

Thanks

IMHO, it isn't going to matter a whole lot what mag release you want to use.

Having experimented with that firearm and STI magazines, I would imagine it would involve removing a bit of metal from the top (or upper portion) of the magazine catch hole on the STI magazine, in order to make it fit.

Sorry, I don't know the proper name of that part of the magazine.

Perhaps theKenny will offer some better information.

Edited by JMike

My apologies for the delay.

1. I am using the Stock Mag Catch. I am not having any issues with feeding. I am also using a 10lb recoil spring.

I ordered a guncraft one but that did not raise the mag height so I'm not using it.

Canyon creek was backordered when I looked but it might be an option. I don't know.

Remember I do not have the pistol currently so no pics of Mag in the frame.

The STI mag is wider than the stock mags. both in the body and at the top

all measurements are approximate bacause i'm doing this quickly with calipers

The stock STI mag will not fully insert into the RI frame.

Body

RI-23.6 mm

STI- 24mm

Mag catch location from top of feed lip to top of mag catch

RI 31.64

STI 33.06

Feed Lip

RI 12.5

STI 14.1

All I did was reduce the width of the mag using different grades of sandpaper and a flat file

Honestly i kind of hacked it up but it works.

Material to be relieved is marked in black on an unmodified STI mag. front shoulders also need to be relieved.

I just took an STI mag, put it in the Frame, figured out what needed to be relieved and started with the file/sandpaper.

Pics:

th_2014-09-10054258_zpsc17713ee.jpg

th_2014-09-10054243_zps7e8ab39f.jpg

Hope that helps.

any more questions send them and I'll try to answer

Edited by theKenny

Even IF they will work Im still feeling the STI 9MM mags over them.

Eventually I want to move to the sit platform so already having 5 or 6 of there mags would be a big plus and cost saver in the long haul.

Even If the mags are modified Id guess they would still work in a sit.

Yea thats def the way to go for me.

We would all like to eventually Get a Eagle or Edge (most likely) So already having the Mags Is a plus for me.

The reason I see Everyone running these is that For half the cost you can run something very similar.

Gun can be had from $500-$700

4 sti mags $60 each

Magwell $50

Trigger Job $50-$100

Holster $75 for a nice Bladetech

Mag pouches $40 a piece (ELS)

so grand total $1300 On the HIGH end for a FULLY built Ria thats STILL LESS THAN a Para Pro Custom.

It is literally THE PERFECT budget 2011

We would all like to eventually Get a Eagle or Edge (most likely) So already having the Mags Is a plus for me.

The reason I see Everyone running these is that For half the cost you can run something very similar.

4 sti mags $60 each

Magwell $50

Trigger Job $50-$100

so grand total $1300 On the HIGH end for a FULLY built Ria thats STILL LESS THAN a Para Pro Custom.

SHHHHHHH!!!!

4 sti mags $60 each

Magwell $50

Trigger Job $50-$100

Well said, plus you can knock of the $50 for the magwell. My my hi cap #51679 came with a magwell that is blended perfectly!

Very tight fitting gun!