Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

I ended up finding a guy that had a Para to STI conversion mag catch, so I ordered that and a few STI mags to try out. I'll update you guys once everything comes in, and I get it fitted and to the range.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Mountbkr said:

All the guys running the Pro Match .40, what brand safeties have you swapped to?

I use a Wilson Combat on both my 9mm and .40

So I got 3 old style STI mags, and one new style one. Along with a Para to STI conversion mag catch from Canyon Creek

Problem is, the STI mags are too tall. There is a fair amount of up and down play for the mag due to the mag catch slot, and if fully inserted the slide smashes into the feed lips. If I apply downward pressure on the mag as I drop the slide, the mag falls out of the gun. If I load a few dummy rounds and hand cycle the gun, it works half the time, and falls out of the gun half the time.

To remedy this, I took some material off of the tops of the feed lips of the new style STI tube I got, and that mag feeds reliably now and stays locked in the gun. I ran about 120 rounds through it without issue. I'm just a bit hesitant to do it to all three without getting some feedback first, because the old style tubes have a slightly different feed lip profile than the new ones.

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up a used 1911 A2 in 9mm used today. Gun looks like it hasn't cleaned in a long while so my first thing is stripping it and giving it an ultrasonic cleaning. Secondly a few problems. It has the plastic main spring housing. I want a metal one and don't know which one will work. My second thing is the barrel. I am not sure if this is one of the new ramped barrels or if someone tried to ramp it. There is a small ramp in the frame and possibly one on the barrel. Rounds are nose diving into the frame from a couple of the mags. I wonder if Armscor would warranty this and replace it for a ramped barrel? If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it!!

20170623_144333.jpg

20170623_144541.jpg

Edited by Rescue1

No it's not a ramped barrel..... Contact RIA they are good with warranty stuff... just takes some turn around time.... I bet they fix the gun for you.  As for the main spring housing the gun crafter for para fits good.... I have one in my Pro Match .40 or just ask them if they can install a metal one for you.

"Rounds are nose diving into the frame from a couple of the mags"

Sounds like a mag issue.

Other than some minor sanding, I have not had any issues dropping in a metal MSH.

Edited by dogtired

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2017 at 11:47 AM, thormx538 said:

So I got 3 old style STI mags, and one new style one. Along with a Para to STI conversion mag catch from Canyon Creek

Problem is, the STI mags are too tall. There is a fair amount of up and down play for the mag due to the mag catch slot, and if fully inserted the slide smashes into the feed lips. If I apply downward pressure on the mag as I drop the slide, the mag falls out of the gun. If I load a few dummy rounds and hand cycle the gun, it works half the time, and falls out of the gun half the time.

To remedy this, I took some material off of the tops of the feed lips of the new style STI tube I got, and that mag feeds reliably now and stays locked in the gun. I ran about 120 rounds through it without issue. I'm just a bit hesitant to do it to all three without getting some feedback first, because the old style tubes have a slightly different feed lip profile than the new ones.

I'm using a Dawson posilock. I sand the sides, front and back of the STI magazines to get them to drop free. The issue is that the trigger bar and sear spring actually pinch the magazine into the gun for me.

If you lock back the slide, press the mag release and the trigger, the mag falls freely. The back of the STI mag had a little curve to it, so I remedied that with a punch and hammer.

I picked up a slightly used TCM HC Target 51680.  It is a early model with nonramped barrel.  I've read through the thread, but the magazine situation is a little confusing.

Since I have the full length frame without magwell, what are my options?  I'd like to use STI mags as that is likely my next purchase.  

Has anyone tried the magazine bodies from the Remington RP9?  It looks like they are being dumped since the gun is a failure.

ACT mags are slightly longer.  I gather SPS and MBX mags will work too but have no personal experience with either.

oops, rereading you have a 9mm/tcm.  I was speaking of 40 mags.

Edited by dogtired
Dopey poster

Guys, I'm more confused than a baby in a topless bar about magazines and extensions. I have a TAC Ultra FS HC - 9mm Part number 51679, which comes with a factory magwell. I had originally planned on going with Dawson Extensions, but was confused about the warning on the website, since my mags are clearly marked Mec-Gar. Also what is the capacity added from the Dawson extension? It sounds like its a +2 or maaaaaybe +3. My 3 mags have the factory +2's on them. While not great, they drop free and I don't feel like dropping a bunch of coin to get no additional rounds. I have also been looking at the Arredondo extension. I know they have fallen out of vogue with shooters over the last decade, but I used them successfully on a Glock for a few years before switching over to Dawson's. I also can't figure out what the capacity increase is on these things either. I'm really not trying to punch the easy button on this, but as I said I feel a little loopy over just exactly what will work and what I'm getting for my money. Thanks gents.

ETA - If I'm not really heavily invested in magazines, is it worth it to switch over to STI mags? Or just go MBX Para mags?

Edited by jclaypool
For reasons...

Remington RP9 mags work great!  Better than the factory magazine.  With the plastic baseplates it fits in my Target model like it was made for it.  I can't speak for the factory magwell guns, but the magazine body is about 5mm longer than the RIA factory magazine.