Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. The 46oz is just the standard full rail 9mm? At least it's a couple ounces lighter than I thought it would be.

I thought about the short dust cover, but for IDPA they require a bushing barrel and all I see with the short dust cover and no rail are in .40 and 10mm, which RIA only makes with bull barrels as far as I can tell. Which model is the 38oz one?

On 1/7/2017 at 11:39 AM, hump said:

I shortened mine to the same length as a short dust cover and use an aluminum guide rod to make weight. 

So you took the full rail and cut it back? Are you talking about a full length aluminum guide rod or a GI style? Also, do you still have the magwell? I assume a 9mm? Do you know what the final weight is? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm rather excited that I might be able to make this work.

I cut the rail back to the same length as a short dust cover, using a full length aluminum guide rod. I am right on the weight limit. I plan to take some material from under the grips also. I almost never shoot IDPA anymore so making weight has not been a priority. 

Does anyone know where to find a factory magwell? I bought one of these pistols without a magwell from the Classifieds after shooting a friends. I happen to like the factory mag well dimensions. I have found 3 sites listing it for sale, but all 3 have been out of stock for quite a while.

Depending on the gun you have, the factory magwell may not fit.  The guns that come from the factory with a magwell have the frame cut to fit the magwell.  If your frame hasn't been cut, then the factory magwell won't fit.  The Dawson magwell for Para Ordnance should fit.  

On 1/12/2017 at 11:53 AM, DeweyH said:

Depending on the gun you have, the factory magwell may not fit.  The guns that come from the factory with a magwell have the frame cut to fit the magwell.  If your frame hasn't been cut, then the factory magwell won't fit.  The Dawson magwell for Para Ordnance should fit.  

Dewey is spot on.

In fact a friend of mine has one with the frame cut.  After I looked at the cut, I strongly believe it is cut like a standard "para" S&A magwell.  I am so sure of this my friend has ordered a S&A magwell to test.   Minor fitting may be required.  This will be put the test in the near future.

• 2 months later...

Morning All,

Am looking for some guidance on a trigger install. After reading previous posters / posts stating that a STI trigger will drop right in, well I purchased one of them

(Thanks SSI - three days to my door). And long story short, not even close. Trigger bow is a completely different shape up front. The stock triggers bow is angled down, just about parallel with the angle at the rear of the bow. While the STI is straight there, more or less perpendicular with the sides of the bow.  So the trigger won't go far enough forward to get a reset.  So what is the trick ?

Thank You, Steve

Hh1Zq-FauEPU6vM3wa_ndM0k6S3f8790vg32ggugl0XwEPIEsjl4z4wARc-biR11_uqbYrUgRCw2gpNXXWAFhd6DfqjI8Hgk1qo_wzfsPVNvivWiLPROgSFrTmzMBideSPuypg-7ZhGPQ6NkJkqKpjVXUwiTiDcbN-pE72cfsS4oq0UtMP7WJ-xRJs7Hm0OXDzdxFKx_QD9MVCR6mc3egDJlDm5n7GdMH6_ReReqx1HoSDRqgHrgExn6tISVttiniy8HuqyWyGfL39PMlvAE-b293aWvcw-3_t5xPqUbHbPJpnzJ0LVwVQlE7fDtSO-xZm9jj5mreifoP64exbK9x3VuC60hY_6L5uN2S0eRS3lnHyrR2RRI1guzFrPwUITMhz-4SGi53qmK9QaTFEhFD3EaClLh-apoOBMJt4EH2mZiUDk5mGnqEJwcKUKDkIXmSxBMGDdYXX2nwCTHEmJybb22aYdIHnNCJlnZ6rfK12nsjuRa5Ulw4VLFObKLdb7fI6l42JmT5-yfUJr4JWpT8Yndebmcozun-VkUwFNKKEkxn4Hb55UyBvRB-P5MaswWU13aQVpXTKyfFJEVgeisy7F6BFmOSN1FWxMFkfhbYzjsqmiox0uX=w1389-h781-no

On 1/7/2017 at 0:21 PM, tjlw said:

Has anyone tried to make one of the 51679 models IDPA legal? I'm a machinist, so I can cut back the dust cover to 3.25" and such, but I want to make sure it's possible to shave off enough to make the 43oz weight limit. It looks like they weigh around 3 lbs. I presume the mainspring housing is already plastic, so I won't save weight there. I could also possibly flat top or tri top it to save an ounce or two. Thanks.

I ended up with the Rock Ultra.  Standard dustcover, not full railed.  And it was still overweight.  I had a smith machine out material from under the grips as it was solid steel.  That got me to IDPA weight.  That and changing the FLGR to a standard GI and plug.

• 4 weeks later...

I read through most of this thread and couldn't find my answer.  I bought the Ria double stack in 9mm. I need a holster for 3 gun and was wondering if it would work if I got the sti 5" with a full dust cover.  I have the safariland 5195 now and would like to stick with this one.  

Thank you in advance. 

38 minutes ago, Pcew73 said:

I read through most of this thread and couldn't find my answer.  I bought the Ria double stack in 9mm. I need a holster for 3 gun and was wondering if it would work if I got the sti 5" with a full dust cover.  I have the safariland 5195 now and would like to stick with this one.  

Thank you in advance. 

any holster that will fit a 1911 will work. there are full dust cover holsters, as well as the standard type.  The top end of the double stacks is the same general size as a single stack.  I have used these for an sti edge when my daa holster was busted.

A Bladetech STI Edge holster works for the full length dustcover, the Safariland GLS fits both, for 3 gun I have a Serpa (gasp) that fits my standard dust cover RIA with a minor trimming.

• 3 weeks later...

What's everyone's experience with 140mm tubes in the 40SW widebodies? I assume the MBX ones work great, but how about the cheaper options, such as the SPS 21rd ones? Has anyone had luck with STI tubes? From what I understand the notch is not in the correct place -- is anyone making a Para to STI conversion mag catch these days? I couldn't seem to find one on Google.

I've had too many issues lately with the MecGar P16 mags + Dawson basepads, that I want to go in a more reliable direction -- MBX is just not in my budget right now.

No experience with SPS, but have been using STI for three years, and recently MBX. The STI are a tad low at the mag catch, but I've had few problems with them. Got MBX, was really happy with the first ones I bought, mag catch is right, feeds great. But I just got two more, not as good, they are wider at the feed lips and the mag catch slot on the mag body, they will not release. I e-mailed MBX, but no response yet. I don't want to fix until I talk with them, maybe get a couple of more for replacement. I'm having a hard time taking a hammer and large vice to something that costs as much as they do. I finally learned that if I wanted the STI mags to run, I had to get the mag tuning kit and make them run. I have had good luck with a cutoff wheel trimming the STI mags to a feed lip profile similar to the MBX, gets the top bullet more aligned with the chamber.

The SPS mags I picked up run fine. Had to massage the front and sides a little to make them drop freely. Better price than the MBX if you can/are willing to do the work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk