Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

I guess patients goes a long way here, you are deffinetly not dealing with a 3K race gun, with a little labor, RIA can run pretty darn good. I will never give up my XDM, but the 1911 trigger is tuff to beat. I had a smith tune my trigger down to 3lb, with existing parts, except the trigger and it breaks clean, with a very short reset.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh! if you do not have a Dawson mag tuning kit, I would give serious concideration into purchasing one, worth it's money in saving a ton of frustration. I have litterly tossed my XDM mags against a wall, frustration, dropped them loaded onto concrete, and they work. Can't say the same about a 100 + dollar race mag, I am much happier now.

I guess patients goes a long way here, you are deffinetly not dealing with a 3K race gun, with a little labor, RIA can run pretty darn good. I will never give up my XDM, but the 1911 trigger is tuff to beat. I had a smith tune my trigger down to 3lb, with existing parts, except the trigger and it breaks clean, with a very short reset.

I bought my RIA to replace my XDM. But need to see how well it performs when the timer starts before I put the XDM up for sale.

I can confirm for a fact now that I've received my 40 Ultra match that these are the factory magazines that come with the Ultra match 40. Tested them all today and they all work great.

Magazine Info for the PRO MATCH 40 ULTRA;https://advancedtactical.com/products/magazines/.40sw/ria-full-size-1911-a-2-magazine-high-cap-15-rnd-40sw-10mm

Armscor directed me here when I asked to purchase extra magazines. I ordered 5, but haven't received any or my pistol yet to test them. Hope this helps.

Here are some pics of the mags. They measure .930ish so they should drop free.2h4ja5h.jpg9742ud.jpg23wofm0.jpg

Did you put extended basepads on these? Will the Dawson's fit?

• 3 weeks later...

Update for anyone looking..I ordered a Blade-tech holster for my full railed 2011 hi-cap 9mm(51679)

They have one designed just for it . Fits great , they did a nice job . Will post a pic later when get home.

Update for anyone looking..I ordered a Blade-tech holster for my full railed 2011 hi-cap 9mm(51679)

They have one designed just for it . Fits great , they did a nice job . Will post a pic later when get home.

Hi Whats the model name/no for the holster

I picked up a RIA single stack 9mm a couple weeks ago and love it, so now I'm convinced I need a HC .40 for limited. From what's available right now the Pro Match is $300 more than the tactical. For a different rear sight, slightly different dust cover and a vague promise of a better fit, is the Pro Match really worth a $300 premium? Does anyone with a 51782 wish they could go back and upgrade to a 51738 for another $300? That's what it is today, it looks like the difference wasn't as great in the past.

So I was looking through RIA's catalog, just browsing and noticing some of their neat products, when I came across the Pro Match Ultra 6" 10mm double-stack (model 52000) - Holy crap :surprise: It looks like it'd be an incredible platform to use as the base for this ongoing strange idea I have for the ideal multi-purpose competition/nightstand pistol. Based on the photos they show on their website, with the full length rail it'd have enough room to have both a frame-mounted optic and a light/laser for redundancy and added weight...

My question is, does anyone have any experience specifically with this model? Anyone have any experience with any of RIA's other double-stack 10mm pistols? Anything anyone can tell me at all for or against getting one of these?

post-46839-0-35085600-1461803674_thumb.j

post-46839-0-27043500-1461803733_thumb.j

post-46839-0-52958000-1461803871_thumb.j

post-46839-0-47187900-1461804004_thumb.j

Edited by usmc90

I have the exact same one, but for my .45.

We will soon be offering an upgraded version of the Rock Island "2011" , looks to be a good alternative for those wanting a 2011 style gun on a tighter budget.

So what is the "upgraded version" and at what price point ? Still under the $1k point that draws folks to it ?

My RIA DS Tactical .40cal has served me well during the last several months. It has never failed once in practice or a steel match.

I have yet to use it in USPSA Limited because I haven't been able to find a holster for it locally and I hate returning stuff online. For steel matches, I use an old glock size holster I had for production. That being said, I am going to upgrade to an STI in the next month or so.

Keep your eye out in the Enos classifieds if you are looking for a Limited gun.

We will soon be offering an upgraded version of the Rock Island "2011" , looks to be a good alternative for those wanting a 2011 style gun on a tighter budget.

So what is the "upgraded version" and at what price point ? Still under the $1k point that draws folks to it ?

Probably in it's lowest price form , just an upgraded trigger and minor tweaking. Should be under or close the $1K . After that there will be a few other options, additional mags, undercut trigger guard, slide cuts, RDS cut/install, etc. If somebody wants to go crazy on slide cuts or RDS it will obviously get over the $1K. We have one about finished. Haven't had time to pencil it all out yet but it will be a good starter gun for some one on a tighter budget.

Edited by toothandnail

ToothandNail, if someone already owns an RIA HC, and wanted some custom work done to it other than the general trigger tweaking/tuning, would you be able to provide those services?

Yes, we can , we are finishing up about 3 full 2011 builds over the next few days, but that would not be a problem doing some work for you.

I have the 51947 which shoots both 22tcm/9mm the frame is the same as your 51679 as far as I know. The only difference would be the addition of the 22tcm barrel.

I too bought and tried different mag wells and different basepads, none would work. The only magazine I did not try and I think it would have worked is the longer para mag, but I could not find one. I come to the conclusion that all frames are not made to the same specs in length. The people who have been able to run any basepads and change mag wells with no alterations seem to have the right length frame, ours seem to be just that little bit short.

To cure my woes I went to Numrich Arms and ordered the Para basepads for $8 and when they came in they did not fit. But for $8 I can file away and not feel bad. I beveled the front and the sides on the top and they fit like a glove. I then found some custom made pads ordered them, beveled them and they work like a champ. The bevel is not much and will not effect the operation of the base pad.

I suggest you order the Para basepads and experiment. The most you will be out is $8. I even ordered original basepads from Armscor and they would not even work with the Megar P-18 mags without being beveled.

Overall I love the pistol and for the money you can't go wrong. With the Mecgar mags and whatever basepads with a bevel you are still money ahead. You can put together 3 mags for the cost of 1 MBX.

I've got the 9/22 TCM combo and I bought the Dawson Para extended bases and Arreando extended springs. I couldn't quite get the mags to seat with the factory magwell so I removed the magwell to see if they would fit. With the magwell off, they still wouldn't quite work. They were just touching on the back of the bases so I filed the back edge (see pic) and now they click right in. Work great so far. I am going to have to do a bit of work on the magwell so I bought a spare in case I screw it up. I think I will have to take some material out of the inside back and sides of the magwell to get the mags to seat.

e1a2b6a60cbc7aacb91279ad146d776c.jpg

737871b7265ba67812f8e069b1ac3bcc.jpg

Edited by willpgn

Will VZ/LOK grips for 1911 fit the RIA hi cap models?

Probably not. The RIAs come with VZ grips already. But they are not 1911 grips. They are, basically, Para 14.45 grips. Very thin and designed for the frame specifically. They notched to wrap around the frame

grips.jpg

Edited by bigdawgbeav

• 3 weeks later...