Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your pistol has the factory mag well on it, you can use Mec-Gar 9-18 magazines. They are the same magazine that comes with the pistol from the factory less the base pad . Mec-Gar supplies the magazines to RIA. I just purchased 16 mags for myself and fellow shooters that jumped on the 9mm Tactical bandwagon. The pistol has to have the factory magwell !!!!! Dawson base pads will work to increase the capacity.

After all this info and a few emails to the companies selling mags and being told they will work %100 with 9mm. for my 51947 I got 3 nickel p-18 17rd mags without basepad and got 4 +2 para extensions to go on them plus the stock mag. Was about $105 shipped for all from numrich. I plan on primarily running 9mm so these should work fine and are a different color so easy to know which of my mags is for tcm.

I don't think those +2 basepads will work - i have some factory para mags with those basepads and they didn't. I'll try to swap the para tube for a mec-gar tube later tonight to see if the para pad has clearance.

Do you have a model with or without factory magwell?

You've got some trimming to do -

On major problem is that you can't get the insert into the Mec-Gar magazine, as it is a few milimeters shorter than the factory para mag. The ribs in the mag tube interfere with the insert getting in. You'll have to get that to fit without affecting the integrity of the insert (we wouldn't want it to weaken and get in the way of a spring). Even without the insert, the base pad gets hung up with several milimeters to go. It is catching on the magwell. It will at best need to be reshaped.

The mec-gar 17 round mag body is confirmed - that works. The one RIA supplies their guns with has an IPSC international sytle baseplate that works and fits in the magwell. If you have the standard mec-gar mag with the sheet metal floorplate it won't work, and will require you to change the baseplate or trim it. The Dawson precision basepad with arredondo spacer is confirmed to work in the mec-gar mag tube.

Hi guys, I just purchased the tactical 40 version #51782 with magwell. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if these mecgar 15 rounders will work.

http://www.mec-gar.com/Magazines/Para-USA/MGP164015

I was able to purchase 6 ten round para mags recently off ebay and they seem to work fine. Also, I have a para p18.9, I bought four of the 38super/9mm canadian blued mags. With a little compression of the mag body at the base of the taper using four triangle files placed at the grooves and vice, plus ismi springs, I was able to feed 9mm reliably. I've been using these mags for the last year set up with dawson basepads and arendondo inserts, 100% reliable. I thought maybe this might help some of you 9mm guys.

Edited by soulbyte

Has anyone had luck with a sti 2011 holster? I'm looking at the sti tactical full rail holster for my ria the trigger guards are different so im wondering if the retention would work.

This is what I'm wondering too. The trigger guard is significantly wider and rounded off.

Has anyone had luck with a sti 2011 holster? I'm looking at the sti tactical full rail holster for my ria the trigger guards are different so im wondering if the retention would work.

This is what I'm wondering too. The trigger guard is significantly wider and rounded off.

I'll let you know I just ordered one midway had it on sale along with some nice matching tak lok mag holders that should work.

For anyone with a 51687 .22TCM/9mm pistol, who may be as frustrated as I (still) am -

Here's a few facts:

The factory 17 rd mags (marked .22tcm) with flat sheet metal base pads, do function 100%. Also, the Dawson .200 base pads installed on these mags do NOT lock in place with or without a Dawson magwell.

New style Para mags do NOT work as shipped - many rounds nosedive at base of chamber, but some tweaking of the mag lips MAY improve this problem (I have had some success, BUT Para mags are not 100% reliable at this point).

140mm STI mag locks in and feeds well, BUT must be sanded/filed to drop free.

Brand new SV 140mm mag is a VERY tight fit in the gun and is difficult to remove - mag must be sanded to fit but I am hesitant to mod a new $130 SV mag !

I've also installed a Dawson fiber optic front sight with no issues and a RIA ambi safety (it was necessary to Dremel the right side lever to reduce annoying rub at base of my trigger finger).

Last, a Dawson Para magwell fits and installs easily BUT the factory 17 rd mags won't work with magwell without some serious grinding on any base plate or base pad.

All the above are FYI, may help but I'm suspicious that the RIA frame dimensions may vary a bit from gun to gun.

The only place I could find it is on the blade-tech website. Go to OWB Holsters and manufacturer is 1911, then gun model the very last option is Rock Island 2011 tactical. The you get color, left/right hand and attachment. I got the tech-lock and like how easy it is to get on an off, especially if you don't have an inner/outer belt yet.