Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hell, I wasn't there.

Mumbles

Hi All,

As the title says, not so much a "I was there" as a "Can someone that was there give me some info" :)

I am traveling to the States for the World Shoot and for a bit of a wonder around after. I was thinking to find the Hilton hotel in Columbia SC were the meetings of the Columbia Conference were held.

Problem is that I can not find the actual address. All the Hiltons that I can find in Columbia SC seem to have been built after 1976 so obviously it can't be them.

Can someone tell me the actual address that the meeting were held at so I can make the pilgrimage? Also, the name and address of the range were the afternoon shooting sessions were held would be good as well.

Hope to see some of you at the World Shoot. I'll be the short bloke wearing the Top End Practical Shooting League shirt.

Thanks

Darryl

DOH!!!

Thanks Steve. For some reason I had it stuck in my head that it was SC.

I will shift my focus to Missouri. Still I don't suppose you know the actual address?

Regards,

Darryl

PS- How come you mob name so many cities after a South American country anyway? :)

I doubt that the hotel is still there, I'd contact the Chamber of Commerce in Columbia and ask that question. There is a Hilton Garden Inn there but it's considerably newer.

Possibly some one from that area may chime in with the correct answer.

• 5 weeks later...

Can someone tell me the actual address that the meeting were held at so I can make the pilgrimage? Also, the name and address of the range were the afternoon shooting sessions were held would be good as well.

Darryl

The conference was held at the Hilton Inn which is now a Holiday Inn (1119 Knipp St. on the frontage road at I-70 and Stadium Dr.) …. also home to the Bianchi Cup festivities (at least the early ones, I haven't been to one since 1982)….don't know if they still meet there or not.

The range sessions were NOT held at the Chapman Academy as it didn't exist until almost 3 years after the Columbia Conference. It was held north of town off of Highway 63 at the old MPPL (Midwest Practical Pistol League) on some rough land near some strip-pits. Unfortunately the range has been gone for multiple decades.

The conference was held in Columbia because a local lawyer, Dick Thomas organized it at Ken Hachathorn's suggestion. Dick was IPSC's first VP and later was one of the founding members of IDPA.

Grand days, those.

Edited by Early IPSC'er