Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much do you spend a year on shooting?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
On 9/2/2014 at 5:35 PM, kneelingatlas said:

:cheers:

Honesty is a virtue. I enjoy coming home and telling my wife about the great deal I just got today! She certainly isn't a fraction of the gun nut I am, but she enjoys my passion and take a genuine interest in the things I love. The important part is to reciprocate.

There are so many great ideas in this thread. But this is where I fall as well, it only took one bump in the night when we got married for my wife to say "I wanna get involved". Now its more fun to tell her how much I saved!

Too much !! Heck I spent just over 1600 this year for bullets alone. Another 1k on another Dillon press. Plus primers. Powder. Brass. Range fees. Ugh. No wonder my account is low .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut back on other hobbies to have more to spend on shooting. This year hasn't been that bad besides buying a few new guns. Reloading supplies were stocked up besides primers from last year, out of the 3 or 4 matches I shoot a month I usually only have to pay for 1-2 of them. I just started getting into 3 gun and bought a PCC so its time to stock up on some other reloading supplies.

3 local matches per month year round. $15x3x12=$585

21,000 9mm projectiles.$1,500

20,00 primers. $630

new shoes. $120

new slide for carry optics. $500

ten major match fees. $2,000

gun club dues. $250

flight, gasoline, hotel, rental car and food for travel to 10 major matches. $14,000.

already had powder and brass. already had gear like belt, pouches n such. I'm NOT including stuff i bought on a whim, like a PCC gun ($1,000 before mods n such) or a Limited gun ($1,900 before belt, rig and mags). that'd add thousands more. Just about at $20,000 for 2016. Forgot to add in targets at $300, taking a class at $400, spares parts $200 and such for the year as well. IDPA, USPSA, NRA and NSSF memberships. ect ect.

Yep, right around 20k for a the year. And a great majority of that because I like to travel to as many large matches as I can. If a person didn't travel, just competing locally could viewed as "cheap".

^^^

Agreed.  it falls under the same category as "First rule in fight club is....you don't talk about fight club!"

To my friends here...if I pass suddenly, please don't laugh aloud when my wife tells you that each gun is for sale for $200  because that is what I paid for them, and powder/bullets/primers are only a few bucks per pound or thousand.   Just smile and enjoy!  ;)

Edited by Bamboo

I spend enough that I wish I could find a way to write it off on my taxes..    

I just bought the stuff to switch to Revo next year in IDPA.  

Gun- $800

Holster and 4 pouches- $200

XL-650 conversion to 38- $335

1k brass- $80x2/monthx12=$1920

1k bullets- $110x2x12=$2640

1k Fed primers-$32x2x12=$768

1# Powder-$25x2x12=$600

Minimum 6 matches a month @average $20/match-$120x12=$1440

1440+600+768+2640+1920=$7368 not counting the Dillon parts, gun, speed loaders, holsters, gas, food, and days I take off work.  I shot an average of 3k rounds a month this year and some months I made 12 matches.  

I started out with an Ed Brown 1911 then went to a Glock 34 to a S&W Pro to a CZ SP-01.  Each time involved mags, holster, some mag pouches crossed over, and kept the 9mm all the way across except the Ed Brown when I first started but I was shooting factory 45 there.   

• 3 weeks later...

I come from a heavy shooting background but just now getting into competitive shooting. I spent about 6k last year on a gun and reloading equipment so hopefully this year I can start to make a descent cut into my ammo spending. I have estimated about 10000 rounds this coming year to cover my training and matches.

• 2 weeks later...

I started logging the prices of things I've purchased for competition shooting so i know what needs to be budgeted for next season. I just log match fee and travel cost, ammo, and gear. I stopped including reloading parts and stuff because I use those regardless. 

ammo-$2,500 for the entire year 9mm loaded myself roughly 20k rounds  

match fees-20 averaging $60 each $1,200 (local and majors)

travel-$1,500 only shoot matches within a 8 hour driving radius can't afford to fly anywhere or spend multiple nights in a hotel or take off work.

I don't really have any other hobbies so $450 a month gets me through the year. 

I'm sure if I made more I'd spend more lol

but a few OT shifts a month covers it and I'm fine with that. 

As for what I've spent since I got into it is huge and I don't wanna know. 

Knowing what need for next year is helpful to me and let's me know what major matches to make and how much bulk reloading components to buy and not feel like I'm spending out of control. 

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, tdp88 said:

I'm spending around $150 a month for ammo and one match per month.

How do you break that down?

So, if you shot 6 matches/ month, it would cost you $900/month?

You must have Very High cost of admission, or travel Very Far to the match?

Are you reloading?   Or shooting a .45?

How do you break that down?

So, if you shot 6 matches/ month, it would cost you $900/month?

You must have Very High cost of admission, or travel Very Far to the match?

Are you reloading?   Or shooting a .45?

That's including weekly range time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...