Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165's for 9mm ?

fireman489

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I load 2.8 gr of Solo 1000 with a 160 lead bullet. Runs between 800 and 815 fps depending on which gun. And no sports fans you are not waiting on the slide. I had a friend on a timer several years ago shooting a similar load when his gun went full auto. You cannot equal the splits I recorded by pulling the trigger. One may not like the way a gun "feels" with heavy bullets, but you are not waiting on the slide.

And no sports fans you are not waiting on the slide. I had a friend on a timer several years ago shooting a similar load when his gun went full auto. You cannot equal the splits I recorded by pulling the trigger. One may not like the way a gun "feels" with heavy bullets, but you are not waiting on the slide.

I'll agree with that sentiment, I think the sluggishness people describe when switching from lighter bullets can be attributed to not changing the spring setup on their gun when they switch bullet weights. So they may actually be waiting for the sights to come back down to the target rather than waiting for the slide to close.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I saw Xtreme was offering 165's in 9mm .... anybody reloading these ?? I bought 500 to test, but haven't found any data when I did a search.

I use Titegroup w CCI primers out of a Gen 4 Glock 34

Thanks !

Recent test results with W231 and American Select.

Avg / H-L / SD / PF

9mm 165gr RN w/ W231

2.9gr - M&P Pro 741 / 55 / 13.9 / 122

3.1gr - M&P Pro 779 / 62 / 18.7 / 128 - 1 rnd @ 735 fps, else spread is 33fps

3.1gr - HA1911 774 / 51 / 15.4 / 127 - good group with one flyer

9mm 165gr RN w/ American Select

3.1gr - M&P Pro 806 / 50 / 15.1 / 133 - group looks like a shotgun

3.1gr - HA1911 803 / 56 / 17.2 / 133 - group is acceptable, 2 rounds in 770's, else spread is 32 fps

3.5gr loads were no test due to over charge concerns.

I saw Xtreme was offering 165's in 9mm .... anybody reloading these ?? I bought 500 to test, but haven't found any data when I did a search.

I use Titegroup w CCI primers out of a Gen 4 Glock 34

Thanks !

I just ordered 500 to test myself.

• 5 months later...

I just received 250, these things are enormous! Going to start at 2.6gr Titegroup and 2.7gr Bullseye loaded at 1.14. Hopefully get out to the range this weekend to chrono, I will post my results.

Would longshot be a good powder for these? I also bought 250 to try out.

Long shot is not very tolerant of compression and doesn't burn very clean at the low end, so it wouldn't be my choice.

If you work up a load with it and find you get lower velocity as the charge goes up you're already over the hump.

I've been loading some with Solo 1000 for a suppressed 226. They are quieter and shoot softer than titegroup propelled 147's.

Very interesting. Do you find Solo to be quieter than TG in general through a can?

It's hard to tell as the shooter. I just hear action noise for the most part. Other people tell me they are quieter. Titegroup is known to be abrasive so I'm trying to get away from it. The stainless baffles don't seem to mind, but the 7075 endcap is a different story.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to chrono'ing the big boys, I have too many damn projects. Anyways I really, really like the feel of these bullets-SOFT!!! Shot from a CZC Accushadow:

165gr Xtreme

2.6 grains Titegroup

1.155 OAL

Winchester SPP

.378" crimp

764 fps avg, 26 ES, Std dev 8- 126 PF

165gr Xtreme

2.8 grains Titegroup

1.155 OAL

Winchester SPP

.378" crimp

788 fps Average, ES 27, Std dev 10- 130 PF.

I can't comment on 25 yard accuracy (Hi-Power Jack), but at 15 yards these are one hole shooters. They are more accurate than my go to load of 3.2 grains of TG with a coated 147 grain bullet. Did I mention that the profile is incredibly forgiving even in a CZ chamber?

Sorry for the rant, I think I'm in love.

Not exactly the same thing but I just shot through a 100 count sample pack of 160gr Ibejihead coated lead RN. For powder I tried Accurate #2, solo 1000, titegroup and bullseye. Got the best accuracy results from the bullseye load with the titegroup a close second. The jury is still out whether I like these enough to switch but they did interest me enough to get a 250 round sample pack from extreme to dive into them a little deeper.

Best result was 2.7gr Bullseye, loaded to 1.169, ave 829 FPS-132 PF, 18.5 SD

Very close second was 2.8 Titegroup, same OAL, ave 833 FPS-133 PF, 10.5 SD

Looking forward to messing around with the Extremes next.

Shooting out of a XDM 5.25

Edited by dave33