Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165's for 9mm ?

fireman489

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This season was my second shooting xtremes 165's in my Wilson barreled g34. They deff almost feel like cheating, and watching video you can see the front sight barely moves vertically at all. For me anyway...

Mixed brass

Xtreme 165 played

2.7gr tg

Fed sp match

1.140oal

130pf

I've also used 3.0gr of N320 when tg was very scarce for a bit. Great results there also but I wound up going back to tg for the cost savings. I have a pound of N310 sitting around and the idea of that load is tempting, but risky IMO.

At 2.5 TG I get 115 PF , that's what I used for bug match. To get 130 , I need 3g of TG out of GP XTrim

I've found I do have a pretty fast barrel luckily.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this back up to see if anyone is still using the 165's? I haven't loaded any as of late as I have been running 147's but still have a few thousand 165's on the bench. I plan to load a few hundred this evening and try them in my 5" M&P with the Apex barrel. They ran great with the factory barrel so hopefully it will be the same with the Apex, with improved accuracy hopefully.

Edited by hlpressley

I really like 165's with N310, N320 but they are a little harder to load vs. 147's as I use a Mr. Bullet Feeder on my 650. Load as long as possible.

2.9gr N320

2.7gr N310

Curious, can you feel any difference between those two loads? Do you have a preference?

I have both powders, love N320 but have much more limited experience with N310 (with 124g and 147g bullets).

Edited by RDA

The difference is slight, but the N310 is softer. Accuracy was equal in my CZ's. Normally caveat's with heavy bullets and fast powders, start low, load long, watch primers etc.

Bumping this back up to see if anyone is still using the 165's? I haven't loaded any as of late as I have been running 147's but still have a few thousand 165's on the bench. I plan to load a few hundred this evening and try them in my 5" M&P with the Apex barrel. They ran great with the factory barrel so hopefully it will be the same with the Apex, with improved accuracy hopefully.

I continue to use the 165's. 2.8gr of Titegroup at 1.155 OAL gets me 130PF through my Glock 34. I just checked it this past weekend to be sure it was consistent. This is my most recent 10 shot PF data.

132.33 131.34 133.15 132 135.13 131.51 133.15 132.33 133.98 130.35

I have been shooting xtreme 165 9mm for a short while. I am about 5000 in on this bullet. My chrono results are

CZ SP01 with 8.5 mainspring

XTREME 165 GR .355

TITEGROUP 2.6 GR

1.145 OAL

*FC* BRASS

FEDERAL PRIMERS #100

AVE= 793

ES=354

SD=11

PF= 130

RESULTS: I like this load as it is fairly accurate*(about 2.75 inch groups off hand at 20 yards), and the recoil is very light. The sights don't leave the target and rarely leave the 1 or C zone. They are clean and quiet. The primers are fine not flattened and strikes are deep.

At 1.145 oal, how much bullet is inside the case?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone dared to try Clays with this bullet?

I decided to be the crazy one and try it. Or at least the only dummy to admit to it. I loaded 2.8gr under Xtreme 165's with an OAL of 1.155". They were some of the softest shooting rounds I've ever fired. I only loaded 15 but I'll make some more and send them over the Chrono later in the week. I'm guessing they'll make 128-130PF. Below is a pic of some the brass from those loads. I don't see any pressure signs but please tell me if I'm wrong. It was 65 degrees outside when those were fired from my VP9.

23jliyq.jpg

Curious what the chrono says.

Let us know.

I run these as the 900fps, 1.14oal but for a different application, and not with Clays.

It is hard not to make a soft load with this heavy of a bullet.

I decided to be the crazy one and try it. Or at least the only dummy to admit to it. I loaded 2.8gr under Xtreme 165's with an OAL of 1.155". They were some of the softest shooting rounds I've ever fired. I only loaded 15 but I'll make some more and send them over the Chrono later in the week. I'm guessing they'll make 128-130PF. Below is a pic of some the brass from those loads. I don't see any pressure signs but please tell me if I'm wrong. It was 65 degrees outside when those were fired from my VP9.

23jliyq.jpg

When you see pressure signs on 9mm, it already over max pressure. I have loaded the Xtreme 165s into the +P range and there were no pressure signs.

23jliyq.jpg

When you see pressure signs on 9mm, it already over max pressure. I have loaded the Xtreme 165s into the +P range and there were no pressure signs.

Why is it that reloaders think that they can see pressure signs in (basically) low pressure handgun rounds!!?? Where did that come from? The 9mm operates at 30,000- 35,000 psi pretty much. Pressure signs don't start to show until 2x that. Yet folks talk about looking for pressure signs. Without a pressure barrel there are no indicators at 35k psi.

I decided to be the crazy one and try it. Or at least the only dummy to admit to it. I loaded 2.8gr under Xtreme 165's with an OAL of 1.155". They were some of the softest shooting rounds I've ever fired. I only loaded 15 but I'll make some more and send them over the Chrono later in the week. I'm guessing they'll make 128-130PF. Below is a pic of some the brass from those loads. I don't see any pressure signs but please tell me if I'm wrong. It was 65 degrees outside when those were fired from my VP9.23jliyq.jpg

Why is it that reloaders think that they can see pressure signs in (basically) low pressure handgun rounds!!?? Where did that come from? The 9mm operates at 30,000- 35,000 psi pretty much. Pressure signs don't start to show until 2x that. Yet folks talk about looking for pressure signs. Without a pressure barrel there are no indicators at 35k psi.

Well Sir, I obviously don't know everything...it's one of the main reasons I come here. I saw several people here and on other forums recommend using N310. I thought that was interesting as N310 is even hotter burning than Clays. Whether they're right, wrong or otherwise, I hardly think 2.7-2.8gr of Clays loaded long is a big deal. I never told anyone to try anything, just posted some findings I found interesting. Edited by MJPLEO

I loaded up 10 rounds of 160gn rn (hitek coated) with 2.8-3gn of clays (load book not with me right now) length of 1.130 using fed spp.

I wanted to shoot 5 and chrono 5.

These are way over safe pressure. Pf was about 136 from memory but of the 5 recovered cases 3 had badly flattened primers with a lot of flow and 2 cases had no primer at all! I cannot guess what kind of pressure it takes to blow out a primer but I'm pretty sure it's not good. At that point I was glad I'd only made 10 so i didn't have to pull a bunch of them.

I'm sure you can make a safe load with 160+ in 9mm but not with clays or n310 (at least not if you are needing to make pf).

23jliyq.jpg

One reason is that we pick up 9mm major rounds at a match and see pressure signs on the primers.

I loaded up 10 rounds of 160gn rn (hitek coated) with 2.8-3gn of clays (load book not with me right now) length of 1.130 using fed spp.

I wanted to shoot 5 and chrono 5.

Did you get to chrono them?

I did. I have the chrono results and exact load specs at home. I can post later. From memory it was about 142pf. Now could you lower the load to make say 130pf? Sure. Would it be safe? I have no idea but the load I tried was certainly way beyond what I'd consider loading and shooting again. 10 rounds likely didn't hurt anything but breach face erosion wouldn't take long with it blowing out primers like it was.

Fast powders and heavy pills is a recipe for high pressure. Many new loaders assume low velocity = low pressure. Not so. My major load going 1400fps with a 124 with 3n38 is lower pressure than my 147s going 880 in my 9mm with clays.

MJPLEO, I didn't mean to make it appear I was picking on you. That wasn't my intent, but I failed in what I wanted to express. I was referring to others who think they'll see pressure signs in handgun brass, and repeat that foolishness for others to repeat. It tics me off that they get others to actually think that it's a reliable indicator of anything and that a load can be safe if it doesn't exhibit "signs".

Yes, I know a few folks who make major with a minor cartridge, and I really don't want to shoot with those folks. I'm surprised we don't hear of more people blowing up their hands and spreading shrapnel among the competitors. Yes, I've picked up their brass also. The ones I've gotten did show primer leakage, but not from one firing, and they weren't pressure signs. I discussed it with the gent. He wasn't picking up his brass because he was using throw away brass... worn out stuff that had been fired so many times the the primer pocket was worn out (because of the brass stretching over repeated high pressure usage) and not worth picking up. So he left it for others to choke on. Nice guy; he never even marked the case heads to indicate anything to the folks who use range brass. That sort of primer "indicator" is not a pressure sign as the words are normally used. Primer pressure signs are very poor indicators of pressure. A much better one is to measure the case head to the .0001". When the brass there begins to stretch you know to back off. But that doesn't happen until handgun pressure is far exceeded. It's more for rifle.

Edit: I agree with BeerBaron about fast powders and heavy bullets. A very bad combination, and w/o a pressure barrel one would never know that its dangerous. Yet I hear of so many people doing it and thinking they can see pressure signs. But I already went there.

Edited by BrianKr

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at some 165gr loads on another website and they had issues with cases that were stepped inside. The headstamps IMT, AMMOLOAD and FM had those cases. The thinking is that since the 165's are so long, that they swage themselves on the step in the case. It resulted in case separation.