Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Citori 725 Question

Froggy1

Got a new Citori 725 Field the fall 2013 for quail and pheasant with 28" barrel and it's a good quality gun. Most of my other guns are for hunting too, but now i would also like to get back into trap - fun league shooting mostly. My question is does anyone know if you can order a 725 trap barrel o/u to fit the Field version? I know, I know that this won't be the perfect trap gun, but I'm hoping the 70/30 or 75/25 (whatever Citori makes) and the taller rib would be something that I could get by with for awhile.

Got a new Citori 725 Field the fall 2013 for quail and pheasant with 28" barrel and it's a good quality gun. Most of my other guns are for hunting too, but now i would also like to get back into trap - fun league shooting mostly. My question is does anyone know if you can order a 725 trap barrel o/u to fit the Field version? I know, I know that this won't be the perfect trap gun, but I'm hoping the 70/30 or 75/25 (whatever Citori makes) and the taller rib would be something that I could get by with for awhile.

browning are ultimate ass holes in making that idea work. i have a set of b-425's i had to bring in from Enagland because of it.

they wont sell bbls or help in any way. i dont do anything but s/c's so i dont know trap bbls muich. the britiah version are lighter and use std browning chokes which are also winchester's.

the folks to see is British Sporting Arms in Pawling Mt N.Y.

charles schneible. well know clay shooter form England, a expert on Brownings. my guns came for him.

email me as i talk to him form time to time.

or just go to web site,. he kows me well by name nothing by board names

good luck

jjw

Went to the British Sporting website as suggested and only found different ways to contact them to place an order. May try calling the number listed for placing orders by phone and see if that leads anywhere. Thanks for the input.

If you had an adjustable comb fitted to your 725 you could set the POI higher as is popular for American Trap. Since the targets are always rising it is an advantage to have the shotgun shoot high so you can keep the bird in your vision, with a flat shooting field style gun you have to cover it up as you pass thru it. GraCo in AR makes great hardware and does an excellent job converting your stock to an adjustable comb. I recommend them highly, they do a great job and are have very quick service.

The high ribs you see on a lot of dedicated trap guns are partially because the un-single is popular, so what you have would be the bottom barrel of an OU with the upper barrel removed. On the typical un-single it looks like you have the Brooklyn bridge on top of your barrel but most of the rib is taking up the space where the top barrel and its rib would be. There are also some ribs that are really high on shotguns that are not un-singles, the idea is to allow you to stand up straight and look thru the middle of your glasses. This doesn't work for everyone, some of us like to crawl the stock a little and swing better from more of a forward lean, also the straight up stance doesn't work well (at least in my experience) for the other disciplines like if you also shoot Sporting Clays for instance. Also be aware you can add a 6 inch high rib to your gun and it won't raise the POI at all unless it's tapered so don't automatically assume you need a high rib to shoot trap.

The main disadvantage of your 725 is the 28 inch barrels, those are a little shorter than you see out on the trap field where 30-34 inch barrels are the norm. The longer barrels offer more sight radius so to speak but more importantly smooth out the swing for many shooters. American Trap is a game where you have plenty of time to get on the target and follow thru is more important. Having said that I've seen plenty of good scores shot with 28 inch barrels, one consideration is the height of the shooter, shorter people are better off with shorter barrels. You are also non permanent ways of adding weight to your barrels that help. I just don't naturally swing a shotgun smoothly so I like a heavy barreled gun, some friends like the lighter weight quicker barrels so you just have to start shooting and discover what suits you.

Thanks for all the input so far. Ross Carter hit upon a point that i didn't mention in my original post. The 28" barrel is shorter than I would like with trap. I use my old 870 now with a 30" barrel and like that length for trap. (My son uses a 32" on his Barrettta.)

So thanks again for all of the good advice so far, but going back to my original questions, does anyone know if you can order a trap barrel from Browning to fit my Citori 725 field version? I've been all through the Browning site, but can't find an answer.

As far as I know you can't get extra barrels fitted to your Browning from Browning and they don't sell barrels for the ou's. About the only way I know of is if an extra barrel from a two barrel set comes up for sale. Browning has offered the XT as a combo with one over under barrel and one top single or unsingle, sometimes an owner decides he doesn't use the extra barrel much and puts it up for sale. Even then it takes a good Browning gunsmith to fit them. With the 725 series being so new the chances of finding this kind of deal would be slime.

This is one area the Beretta 68x series has an advantage as there are always barrels available both new and used and are easily fitted.

Try midwest gunworks. They sell unfinished barrels and should be able to do all of the work needed. The unfinished 32" high post barrel set is $500 and needs to be blued and fitted. I've heard a lot of good things about them. They also do adjustable combs

My good friend runs 25 straight with a 26 inch Browning. I shoot clays with a 28 inch barrel-sometimes not so well and other times very well. But that is a function of not shooting very much.

I generally run low 20s in Trap which I shoot rarely.

The key for me was having my stock cut to have an adjustable comb which allows for a 90/10 for trap and 65/35 for sporting clays, five stand and skeet.

I was talking with a friend about buying a 30/32 inch barrel, he asked why and I said my gun was feeling inadequate when it was in the rack next to all those longer guns. When he stopped laughing his ass off, he pretty much told me i was dumb.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some things like the shorter barrels work but leave very little room for error, it's a good plan to give yourself all the room you can. IMO if you really want the longer barrel gun sell or trade the one you have for the version you want. You will be happier and financially better off in the end. If it were a Beretta or Perazzi or any other ou that is easy to change barrels it would be different just like an autoloader would make it a easy choice. If you are set on a barrel change contact Skeets Gun shop in Tahlequah OK., (918) 456-4749, he will give you great advice and is one of the best and most economical Browning smiths out there.