Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does the Dawson Tool less guide rod work on a full dust cover gun?

Sandbagger123

On a LDC gun, it only changes the order of disassembly a little bit....

Whereas on an SDC gun, you could just lock the slide back with the Slide Stop and then engage the Dawson Guide Rod, you can't do that on an LDC.

You must first pop the top end off of the gun, then push the guide rod forward to engage the Dawson.

Most people disassemble a 1911/2011 that way already, so it's not a big deal. The Tool-Less is still a nifty device on either style gun.

Edited by Braxton1

• 2 months later...

Great product & convenient to use.

Like Braxton mentioned, pull slide stop...remove slide (intact)...depress guide rod...engage DP catch. You will thank yourself every time you disassemble.

The only negative is the slim chance of the retention pin working loose or spring loaded arm becomes damaged and locks up the gun.

i was thinking of getting one for my full dustcover StI. Then i noticed the lack of space to depress the latch. So do they work on a full dust cover gun?

I have a Tactical 5.0 with full dust cover. The Tool-less rod works fine in mine. Makes disassembly quick and easy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have one on my Edge and it is so much easier to disassemble compared the the recoilmaster. It isn't as easy to do on a full dust covered gun but it is better, nothing special required to push the holding mechanism down.

• 2 weeks later...