Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM Would you buy one?

JimmyZip

Took the wife who is newly confident in herself with all the TKD and dieting and new physique, to the range. She was not too thrilled with the pistols I am currently running. But my master class shooting buddy had an XD in 9mm and from the get-go she was just blasting them suckers. (8" plates at 15 yds)

So the question is, would you get one for your wife considering all you know about the platform. (I know nothing about them except that I found this pistol very easy to shoot well myself)

I already have a holster so essentially I just need a belt, pouches, and a pistol with mags.

JZ

I've got the 4.5 and 5.25 in 9mm both good guns and a good amount of aftermarket upgrades available, not as many as glock but its not a glock. Look at Canyon Creek Customs,Springer Precision, Powder River Precision, and Springfield for upgrade stuff.

If she has the amount of experience necessary to know what it is that she wants, then sure. If on the other hand, she has only shot a little and is still developing her skills, then I would take her to a range with some rentals, or borrow from friends, 4 or 5 platforms and see which she prefers. Pick that one and see if there are others that have close or similar ergonomics and such and have another session with those 2 or 3 and then let her make a final decision. I know several women shooters who prefer the XDms, so there might be something there.

I know that with my wife, and the hundreds of women I have taught to shoot, they process stuff different than we do. As my 10 year old says..."they are, well, complicated." The firearm I own that my wife enjoys shooting the most is the 10" 300BO AR. She prefers a dot on a rifle, and red fiber optics on her pistol. The first 15 years we were married, she shot 10 rounds total, now she enjoys it more and has a few guns of her own. If she likes it, okay, that is what she gets. Happy wife = Happy life. :)

My wife has an XDm 5.25 in 9mm and an STI Edge in .40. She shoots the XDm far better, and enjoys shooting it more, than the STI. The STI is just too big for her hands. I own several other XDms and they never have issues. I would recommend one w/o hesitation.

The XDm 5.25 is an excellent choice. If my wife wanted one, it would be in the safe before I clicked the "post" button!

On a little more serious note, I would at least try to get to shoot a buddies M&P9 Pro and a Glock 34 Gen4 (depending on hand size, maybe a Gen3). I sold my XD many years ago, so my wife never shot it, now she prefers my M&P, maybe she would have like the XD better, but I will probably never know.

My wife prefers the short barrel XD 9 grip as compared to the XDM and she looks forward to shooting with me. It's a lot like her car. Get what SHE wants, not what you think is best. She may well evolve into something else but don't bet on it. Not many women are as involved in split times, # of reloadable rounds, et al as men typically are. Betcha' Jesse Duff gets her pick of toys but like all of us she had to start someplace. Make it easy for your wife to enjoy shooting. Just my 1.4 cents (after taxes).

Ron

Just an old guy who learned the hard way.

I just got my wife an xdm 40 4.5. A buddy I shoot with was sellin it and she shot it one day after a match and loved it. I've also got a first gen xd 45 5" that I carried on duty while in LE. I love my 1911 but would use an xd in production.

The XDm 5.25 is very close to a ready-to-compete Production Division gun right out of the box. Great sights, pretty danged good trigger, and accurate enough for any task short of Handgun Silhouette (although I'm sure that somebody'll try that....)

If you get one of the standard XDm's, you will have to do the sights and trigger package to get the most out of it, but that is true for just about any factory gun.

She was not too thrilled with the pistols I am currently running. But my master class shooting buddy had an XD in 9mm and from the get-go she was just blasting them suckers. (8" plates at 15 yds)

I already have a holster so essentially I just need a belt, pouches, and a pistol with mags.

JZ

This to me says it all. I'd have gotten her one already. They are great and love my 5.25.

I have a 5.25 9mm Xdm, and if it's not an indestructible, idiot-proof gun, then it's pretty darn near it.

15,000 rounds through it and it still shoots the same as when it was new. Put a Powder River trigger on it which helped a bit, but it was a good shooter right out of the box.

Made it a little bit better by adding some grip tape, a heavy guide rod, and a heavy recoil spring, but that's just icing on the cake. I doubt you'd regret buying one.