Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about Speed Mode

Nimitz

Just finished reading your latest book and I'm also a student of your Okechoebee, Fl class last year and have a question about Speed Mode. I get that you don't want to judge accuracy in this mode and you are looking for massive speed gains but what about technique?

For example when doing a transition drill should I only be concerned with executing the transitions as fast as possible or making sure that I always snap my eyes to the next target before moving the gun ... As fast as possible?

I can make really fast transitions but I know I don't always get my eyes to the target first when doing this, in other words, I don't have the greatest of technique but I just move really fast?

The practice modes are about defining success and focusing the conscious mind on what's important.

On a transition drill, the definition of success is improved transitions.

So we start with a current time that it takes to shoot two targets that have a wide transition.

You have identified snapping the eyes to the next target as a good technique and most shooters would agree with you.

So yes, make sure you're using the desired technique correctly.

Run it a few times to get used to the feeling, without worrying about misses.

Keep an eye on the times to make sure they're dropping.

Once the time has plateaued, enter shot calling or match mode and just shoot.

You should get a much better time than your original time with the glorious by product of acceptable accuracy.

This may take more than one session, depending on the drill.

Hope that helps.

In speed mode you are looking at gaining speed. It the time between the shots that you are tying to decrease.

Basically you are teaching yourself how it feels to drive the gun to the next target faster then you are comfortable with calling shots.

Once you have made improvements to your time you switch over to shot calling or match mode. You move the gun utilizing what you just learned but call the shots. You should be able to score the targets without looking at them. You are looking for a's and close c's.

group size is never important in USPSA shooting.

The only time you should ever be concerned with group size is in training when you are specifically doing a group shooting drill.

The one other time to worry about it id when you are developing a new load to determine it's accuracy ...