Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To those that use something other than Dillon - are you happy?

I have a Dillon 550 b that I am pretty pleased with. It has a few quirks but works pretty well. I am thinking about another machine to make things easier when doing large vs small primers. Sometimes used machines come up, but not Dillons. Just wondering if I found a good deal on a used machine of another brand, would it be worth it to me. Tell me what you have and how you like it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Hornady LNL-AP and am happy with it. When I purchased it I picked it over the Dillon only because my net $ was considerably less considering the #of pistol & rifle calibers I would be loading (3xpistol & 2xrifle).. From reviews it also seemed that the powder dispenser was 'better'.

If I had to do it all again I would still choose the Hornady (same reasons) but would omit the bullet feeder. It's too noisy and instead I would just use the bullet feeder dies with some tubes for feeding.

Very pleased with my LNL AP for many years. Simple reliable loader. Would buy another no question.

Have owned 4 Dillon presses and liked them too. I fiddle FAR less with the Hornady. YMWV and FWIW etc etc :)

I have a Lee turret press and a Lee Pro 1000. I've been reloading three calibres on Lee equipment for fifteen years without a seconds worth of trouble. Very satisfied customer

Been using a Hornady LnL for a few years and like it alot. Runs good. I like the auto indexing vs the 550, which I also have had since the 90's. The 550 doesn't get much use anymore.

The LNL is an excellent press... I have a Pro 1000 and love it, caliber changes are a breeze and super cheap to do... Its really the only press I think I'll ever need other then maybe a single stage for odds and ends...

love for the pro 1000

My Hornady AP has been great. I load .40, .38, .30 Carbine, and .223REM on it. I can go from loading one chambering to another in less than 5 minutes. I've never run a Dillon but I have drooled over them if that counts. I wanted auto index and the price difference between the AP and the 650 sealed it for me.

Watch E Bay every once in a while deal comes through. Be easy to set one 550 up for small primers and one for large. Like the 550 stick with another.

Makes the whole process easier on spare parts loading habits and quality ammo. Not knocking others but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I have a 550, A dedicated 9mm square deal, A redding T7 and a Forster Coax. I do most of the work pistol caliber work on the 550 and use processed brass on the square deal.

I am making plans to purchase a 1050 and use it for brass prep on .223 and 9mm and loading lots of 9mm.

Every now and then I see used Square deals for sat around $250 at gun shows....I have never seen a used 1050 for sale anywhere...

I have a Hornady LNL progressive press that I've loaded somewhat more than 150k rounds with. I load 9mm, 45 acp, 223, and 30-06 with it. I have never once had a run of 100 rounds where something didn't jam, break, or go out of adjustment requiring dismantling of some part of the press to correct.