Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050, 40 dies and moly bullets

carinab

Because I was shaving off some moly coating, I removed the EGW undersize die I had at the decapping station. I put the Dillon decapping die back in place. I have adjusted the expander die as far as it will go and increased the bell at the powder die. However I'm still shaving moly coating off of the bullet about 30% of the time at the bullet seating die (and I am back to my failure rate of 4% for bulged cases). <grumble> Increasing the OAL to 1.180 from 1.165 made no difference. The cases are lubed. The dies have some lube. What am I missing here?!?! :angry2:

I only ran true "moly" coated bullets a few times, when I was trying to see how moly/lead would work (a disaster but a different story).

If you are using one of the "coated" bullets, you likely just have the wrong seating arbor installed. Like a RN seater vs FP or the other way around.

I use very little bell with my 1050's and coated bullets, they are GSI bullet fed but with the correct seat die all of them should stay on track. The bullet has to go sideways to shave...

IMG_20131009_114251_812_zps9121a3df.jpg

Post some pics of your problem rounds, might help us understand what is going on.

Edited by jmorris

Try increasing the bell on your powder station, and use the Dillon (if you're not already) seating and crimp dies. I had to ditch my Redding Comp seating die when I tried Bayou Bullets as I was getting shavings.

I'll try flipping the bullet seater as I have already tried all the other info nuggets I found searching the forums before posting this topic. The dies are all dillon and the bullet is .401 (which went fine thru my 550) I have it setup with RN right now....FP coming up. Knock on wood this will be the cure. Thanks for the input I'll post if this is the fix. Well, heck...I'll post if it isn't either! :P

So FP was a no go...left a line in the nose of the bullet...and made no difference in the shaving situation (see pic). post-4300-0-82479200-1406834202_thumb.jp

Since the only other thing that has changed is my "once fired" brass supplier, I decided to try some new brass. And naturally, there are no shavings. post-4300-0-41042500-1406834222_thumb.jp

Guess I'll see if I can find someone to roller size the used brass I have.

Looks to me like your crimp die is further seating you bullet. It would help to see a pick of the seating station and crimp station in the same photo.

Bell looks adequate. Are you over crimping?

Are you totally tied to these bullets?