Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland Model 014 fiasco

I recently purchased a SafariLand model 014 race holster. I saw a few people with them at a major match and really liked the look of it. I've used it in about 15 matches and it has been working really well (even though I can't figure out the tension knob).

All of the GMs I shoot with keep talking sh!t about it... And then, Sunday at a match, I was running around a corner and my holster bumped on the temporary stage wall... And BROKE OFF!!! It made 'Slide forward, hammer, holster' kind of tricky.

Anyway, long story short, I really like how it worked, people said it would fall apart on me, I ignored them, then it did.

Thanks for the sweet gear, SafariLand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(even though I can't figure out the tension knob).

Yeah their instructions are kind of lacking. First, take the holster off and lay it on the floor, tension screw facing up..... do not touch it. Second, make trip to local sporting good store and buy some frisbee golf equipment. Third, contact a local junior shooter that understands "righty tighty, lefty loosey" and have them come pick up holster off the floor. Fourth, donate holster to said junior shooter. Lastly, enjoy fribee golf.

Also, if you ever run over the frisbees with your truck, don't blame the manufacturer for them breaking. Otherwise you'll have to quit that sport too and take up checkers.

Edited by jrbet83

(even though I can't figure out the tension knob).

Yeah their instructions are kind of lacking. First, take the holster off and lay it on the floor, tension screw facing up..... do not touch it. Second, make trip to local sporting good store and buy some frisbee golf equipment. Third, contact a local junior shooter that understands "righty tighty, lefty loosey" and have them come pick up holster off the floor. Fourth, donate holster to said junior shooter. Lastly, enjoy fribee golf.

Also, if you ever run over the frisbees with your truck, don't blame the manufacturer for them breaking. Otherwise you'll have to quit that sport too and take up checkers.

Yeah, I understand the concept of a knob, but tightening it as tight as possible and loosening it to where it falls off does absolutely nothing to the tension. If I wanted a wise ass response, I'll know to just DM my questions straight to you from now on. It's people like you who make these 'intended to help' Internet sites shitty.

And to everyone who said don't hit a wall... A glanced a wall... Are you trying to tell me something that dangles off of a belt shouldn't be able to hold up against something like that? Seems pretty shoddy. The holster itself works well... But imagine if THAT was the reason you couldn't complete a major match.

It's people like you who make these 'intended to help' Internet sites shitty.

What help were you asking for? There wasn't one question in your original post. What there was, was someone bad mouthing one of the best and most loyal sponsors of USPSA, even though it was presumably their fault. Oh, and FYI, a piece of gear breaking.....isn't a fiasco, especially when I can all but guarantee they'll make the situation right, regardless of who's fault it was.

It's people like you who make these 'intended to help' Internet sites shitty.

What help were you asking for? There wasn't one question in your original post. What there was, was someone bad mouthing one of the best and most loyal sponsors of USPSA, even though it was presumably their fault. Oh, and FYI, a piece of gear breaking.....isn't a fiasco, especially when I can all but guarantee they'll make the situation right, regardless of who's fault it was.

I'm asking for similar situations, possible known fixes, alternative mounting techniques. Not for someone to tell me to quit shooting and give me gear to a junior while calling me an idiot in the process.

Hmmmm ..... Unless the piece in question had a materials manufacturing defect I doubt it broke off because you just "bumped" a temp wall. I'm sure that was your perception of what happened butbwouldn't be surprised if the actual collision wasn't somewhat more energetic ...

Whatever the actual cause, bad mouthing a reliable and staunch supporter of our sport before you even contact them seems like a foul to me ...

Who said I didn't contact them?

Guys lets not all jump on the poor guy at once. His criticism may have been a little harsh but clearly in his opinion it was only a light brush against a prop and with no evidence otherwise we really have to take it at face value.

I haven't an 014 but I currently have 3 race masters, 1 h&s cw5 and a manny brag mad max holster. The manny and the rm's seem to me like they'd be near impossible to break on a stage. The h&s has part of the hanger in kydex so is no doubt less strong.

I guess the point is it didn't live up to what the op considers to be normal use.

Are you saying you broke the hanger off at the top? I am guessing you had it set up like mine using the belt attachment and not just screwed into the belt.

You must have hit it hard. I could not get my holster to angle quite the way I wanted it to. I locked the entire holster into a vise at the point the belt runs through it. I used a large adjustable wrench to twist the hanger int a position it was not meant to be in. It was tough to bend.

The first try resulted in a bit too much angle I tried bending it back with my hands, but ended up using the vise again.

It has stayed in the position I created for a year.

A picture would help us help you. You can see where mine is bent but I had to really work to do it.

post-2818-0-57538100-1406811131_thumb.jp

Edited by AWLAZS

Maybe it was the two thin metal tabs on the back that secure the bracket to the belt which broke. I think those are the weakest link on a 014 and recall that somone here had made some thicker metal tabs with longer screws and were offering them to BE members.

I have two 014s, one mounted direct to the belt for my open rig, and one on the belt hanger (as pictured in AWLAZS's picture) I use for steel challenge. The holster frame and positioning hardware is pretty robust so if one of those items broke I'd be interested in hearing about it. But I could see the tabs breaking and droppng the holster off the belt. Direct mounting it eliminates the need for the tabs and belt bracket.

Yeah, the tension adjustment is sensitive, you can go from no resistance to locked in about 1/2 turn. If that knobs turns too freely you can put a small amount of blue loctite or a gob of plumbers putty on the threads to add some resistance.

In my experience with Safariland if you have a problem they will work with you to get it right. If you contacted them, did they try to help get it fixed?

Edited by Bamboo

Maybe it was the two thin metal tabs on the back that secure the bracket to the belt which broke. I think those are the weakest link on a 014 and recall that somone here had made some thicker metal tabs with longer screws and were offering them to BE members.

:D

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193372&hl=

Edited by SpaceFlunky

Yes this part, although with the little usage, and the light hit, I'm assuming I had defective ones. They are only cast aluminum, flaws happen.

Safariland only suggested replacement... But thanks to you fellas, I contacted the man who makes the bolstered tabs. Problem solved. Now I just need to figure out why my tensioner does absolutely nothing, and I'll be SET! [emoji106][emoji482]

Trigger guards vary, so maybe yours is on the thin side and the tensioner doesn't squeeze the trigger block enough to engage your trigger guard..

On my guns it will lock the trigger guard in if I twist too much.

Might be able to add washers or something to make the tension adjustment more effective. Also, there is a thin and thick shim that come with the holster, might need to use one of them to get the right fit with your trigger guard.

There is a lot of adjustment on the 014, so some tinkering and trial and error may be required.

Good luck!